Options

Hospital Car Park Charges

2»

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    88% of prescriptions in England are free.

They might as well make them all free. Would save a lot on the administration.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Not for all hospitals Oval. I don't know if the contracts were ended.
    I stand corrected - apparently Glasgow, Edinburgh & Dundee still have charges due to being tied into PFI contracts.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's land that the hospital could use for treating patients.

Personally, I don't want surgery in a car park.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I don't want surgery in a car park.

Have you no sense of 'adventure' :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Hospital car parks should be free like the service they are connected to. Penalising the sick and their families, let alone the hospitals OWN STAFF is disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    88% of prescriptions in England are free.

Source please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, interesting reading!

The sources are slightly out of date [charges have since increased AGAIN to £8.05 as you may be aware] but I will of course accept them as I am sure the figures will not have altered much since 2012.

it is my understanding that anyone unemployed or receiving benefits is eligible for a free prescription.
    Not accounting for cases of fraud, I would have certainly put that figure at lower than 88%.

If I am missing something as to why the figure is so high I'd be grateful to know, and also whether I, male aged 27 full-time employed living in the North of England, would be eligible to receive a free prescription?

I currently earn a meagre £8.25 per hour in my job [not the poorest wage, far from the highest] and so having to work for one hour to pay for my prescription is disappointing. particularly when I believe they should be free for all.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, interesting reading!

The sources are slightly out of date [charges have since increased AGAIN to £8.05 as you may be aware] but I will of course accept them as I am sure the figures will not have altered much since 2012.

it is my understanding that anyone unemployed or receiving benefits is eligible for a free prescription.
    Not accounting for cases of fraud, I would have certainly put that figure at lower than 88%.

If I am missing something as to why the figure is so high I'd be grateful to know, and also whether I, male aged 27 full-time employed living in the North of England, would be eligible to receive a free prescription?

I currently earn a meagre £8.25 per hour in my job [not the poorest wage, far from the highest] and so having to work for one hour to pay for my prescription is disappointing. particularly when I believe they should be free for all.

The percentages of free prescriptions are so high because most drugs are taken by the elderly. It's 88% of prescriptions which are free, not 88% of people who get them. My parents are in their 70s and take a whole medicine cabinet between them each day for various ailments. Add in children, pregnant women and those with long term conditions and that's a lot of the usage. Plus you don't pay for drugs when you are in hospital but those aren't included in these figures.

As an employed adult you wouldn't get free prescriptions useless you were diagnosed with certain conditions such as diabetes. Or moved to Scotland or Wales - but that's a rather extreme way of avoiding an £8 charge.

Personally, I don't think one hour's pay for something which will make you better is that much to ask for and which could have cost hundred of pounds to the NHS. It's less than what you would spend on a takeaway meal or a cinema ticket. I don't think I have a prescription in the last 10 years so as a very occasional expense it wouldn't bother me at all.