Do you have tramps in your area?

Comments

• maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    We had a well known homeless character in our town called 'Hobo Joe'. He dossed out in a church doorway most nights, was always respectful enough to take his meagre belongings away early doors so he wasn't in the way of 'church business' each day. He actually had a room in a homeless shelter but never used it, preferred to sleep rough. Sadly he succumbed to the elements last year and has now passed away.
  • OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Maybe you should put yourself in someone else's shoes. Look at it from someone else perspective, i.e. from the point of view of the person/people you describe in that way.

It's a word that should never be said.

I appreciate you're trying to make some sort of point here, but if we stop saying tramp then we would need another word to describe the persons in question. And then that would become the new offensive word. And like I said before, this isn't necessarily related to their living situation and/or issues, it's a description of what they look like.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    We have Gypsies and Thieves, but sadly no tramps.

Ah but do they hear it from the people in your town?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I just wonder what the attraction is to standing in the corner of a run down car park, drinking cheap lager with a load of bags or a shopping trolley?

It's better than daytime telly & passes the time I suppose
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yesterday while going past a row of local shops in the daytime, I did pass 3 men who were sitting on the the grass verge besides the Indian take-away, who they looked very unkempt and were drinking from cans of lager.

It really upset me .because I could sense their pain. I had to work hard to brace myself and walk past, because there was really nothing I could do to help

I only feel intense compassion for the homeless and self-medicators. Usually there's very sad stories behind their condition and I always think, if I was out on the streets with nowhere to live, I'd need a drink as well!
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of them. There is a program on each year about it. Swansea: Living on the streets. We also have a very well known one who is known as Teabag. Very nice man, very intellectual and is homeless on his on accord, he's been around ever since I can remember.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i believe Cilla Black lives nearby
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to have an old man who sat all day outside the library. He had a house but was never in it. Every now and then the council would pick him up and give him a good scrub and let him loose again and he would be back on his bench. He eventually died. There is no-one like him now, and we don't seem to have tramps much but a very stinky man and a dog came into a cafe we were in the other day begging for a cup of tea. He was given it and some water for the dog as long as he stayed outside. He was black. With filth I mean not that he was actually black.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there`s some really sick fvckers out there and an awful lot of them try to hide behind god`s village skirts, I rather hope there IS a god because they`ll be in no doubt where they`re headed come judgement day.

:D Yep!
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the area I live in, we are quite lucky not to.....
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have one man who I assume lives rough - but I don't know for sure. He has a bicycle and I see him occasionally riding around the village. He is filthy dirty and has about 40 bags of stuff hanging off the bike. But we don't have any beggars in the streets that I have seen.

We do have a pesky Big Issue woman though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea we have one who lives in the woods, who I've seen getting his stuff out of the bushes and a couple in the park who I actually thought were dead as they wasn't moving. (I have to be out early walking the mutt)

We used to have one that walked around with a quilt for years, but it was always daz white never dirty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea we have one who lives in the woods, who I've seen getting his stuff out of the bushes and a couple in the park who I actually thought were dead as they wasn't moving. (I have to be out early walking the mutt)

We used to have one that walked around with a quilt for years, but it was always daz white never dirty.

If he could keep the quilt so clean all the time, then why not himself? :confused:
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't shout out 'tramps' when i go past them, you know.
    I call them 'the raggy dolls':p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago my car was off the road for a while so I had to get the bus to take and pick up my youngest son from school. We would walk past a car park and every day there was a young homeless lad sitting in a sleeping bag.

My son asked me about him, why is he there etc. Obviously I don't know whether he was genuinely homeless or just trying to make a few quid but it was the middle of winter and he was there everyday so I assumed he was probably genuine.

My son couldn't get his head round the idea that there are people that don't have anywhere to live and have to sleep on the streets. He was about 7 at the time. One night he lost a tooth so the 'tooth fairy' left him 2 pounds. The next day he told me that he wanted to give the money to the homeless man so on the way home from school he went up to him and gave it to him. I was very proud of him and I just hope the 2 quid didn't go on a bottle of cheap cider but even if it did, it doesn't change my sons intentions. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I don't shout out 'tramps' when i go past them, you know.
    I call them 'the raggy dolls':p

Did you get to meet Rosy and Jim? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    A couple of years ago my car was off the road for a while so I had to get the bus to take and pick up my youngest son from school. We would walk past a car park and every day there was a young homeless lad sitting in a sleeping bag.

My son asked me about him, why is he there etc. Obviously I don't know whether he was genuinely homeless or just trying to make a few quid but it was the middle of winter and he was there everyday so I assumed he was probably genuine.

My son couldn't get his head round the idea that there are people that don't have anywhere to live and have to sleep on the streets. He was about 7 at the time. One night he lost a tooth so the 'tooth fairy' left him 2 pounds. The next day he told me that he wanted to give the money to the homeless man so on the way home from school he went up to him and gave it to him. I was very proud of him and I just hope the 2 quid didn't go on a bottle of cheap cider but even if it did, it doesn't change my sons intentions. :)

I know that guy, don't worry he spent the £2 on a tie to wear to his next job interview. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you get to meet Rosy and Jim? :p

The Raggy Dolls is good when dealing with people like this as it reminds you they are 'like you and me' and that anyone could end up 'in the reject bin'
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Maybe you should put yourself in someone else's shoes. Look at it from someone else perspective, i.e. from the point of view of the person/people you describe in that way.

It's a word that should never be said.

As far as I know our local one isn't homeless and if I meet him I don't call him that I say "Hello Martin".

Also an infinitely preferable customer in my old job than some of the others that came in.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every morning I drive past a bench near quite a busy junction and there are always five or six dirty looking men drinking lager. I assume they are tramps.

It makes me feel a bit sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he could keep the quilt so clean all the time, then why not himself? :confused:

People must of washed it for him. Always in shop door ways begging for money with his dirty looking self but brilliant white quilt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i believe Cilla Black lives nearby

Aww. If 'R Cilla' fell on hard times, I'm sure anyone who had a heart would say 'Step inside, luv' as something tells you something's gonna happen tonight. 'R Cilla' would be so grateful she'd say 'You're my world, chuck, worra surprise, surprise!'

:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Aww. If 'R Cilla' fell on hard times, I'm sure anyone who had a heart would say 'Step inside, luv' as something tells you something's gonna happen tonight. 'R Cilla' would be so grateful she'd say 'You're my world, chuck, worra surprise, surprise!'

:D:D

She would make a fabulous tramp.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeless people on the streets here in Brighton has become noticeable in the last couple of years. Pretty sure it's down to the benefit cuts. The first people to be affected by them seem to be those with mental issues. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just want to sit around drinking all day, not homeless or mentally ill, just lazy gits. But they are not tramps.