Being prepared in case of nuclear war/attack/bomb

1235»

Comments

• stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread genuinely started out a serious and I have got 18 large bottles of evian sat in the garage, it did make me feel better, but reading through the replies it seems that in the event of nuclear attack my bottles would barely stand up to the heat of the blast , let alone help us survive for a month or so. So I think I am going to stop buying the water and drink what I have bought, whatever will be will be.

PS - What has painting a house/room white got to do with anything. I am lost with this analogy :confused:

White is a good reflector of infra red radiation. Think that is what the FM is hinting at.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    This is exactly why we should build nuclear bunkers, and set up a country wide alert system.

...and we used to have a countrywide alert system. Every town/city and most villages had air raid warning sirens that would be used in the event of an attack, and in those areas that did not the church/chapel bells were to be used instead. I even remember them being tested as a nipper, bloody loud they were too.

Less of a need these days I think, we'd probably have warnings broadcast on TV, radio, all over websites and probably everyone in the country would get some kind of automated text message. Not that it'll do any good, the message might just as well say "4 MINUTE WARNING - YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE, SORRY".
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    ...and we used to have a countrywide alert system. Every town/city and most villages had air raid warning sirens that would be used in the event of an attack, and in those areas that did not the church/chapel bells were to be used instead. I even remember them being tested as a nipper, bloody loud they were too.

Less of a need these days I think, we'd probably have warnings broadcast on TV, radio, all over websites and probably everyone in the country would get some kind of automated text message. Not that it'll do any good, the message might just as well say "4 MINUTE WARNING - YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE, SORRY".

We should just say are Switzerlands new BFF ...then we are safe.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use plastic bottles to store tap water. A tiny amount of bleach will kill off any bugs and the water should be fine for a year.

Mormons are all supposed to prepare for the end and they have a good publication you can read (ignore the religious bits unless your a mormon I guess)

http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf

Its a good little intro if your new to survivalism.

I doubt a full nuclear detonation in the UK in the near future, a small dirty bomb is more likely. Our biggest threat I believe will come from a virus infection (in humans not your PC).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You can use plastic bottles to store tap water. A tiny amount of bleach will kill off any bugs and the water should be fine for a year.

Mormons are all supposed to prepare for the end and they have a good publication you can read (ignore the religious bits unless your a mormon I guess)

http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/Preparedness.pdf

Its a good little intro if your new to survivalism.

I doubt a full nuclear detonation in the UK in the near future, a small dirty bomb is more likely. Our biggest threat I believe will come from a virus infection (in humans not your PC).

E-Coli which appears to be gathering pace in Germany perhaps?. :eek:
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something more fatal I fear but you don't need a big proportion of the population to get infected before core services would be hit. It really is worth having extra food stored at home, even if its only a couple of weeks worth. 'Prepping' is almost a hobby for me so I now carry about six months worth of food at home plus solar panels, small wind turbine, clean water source + water filters in case I need to move, generator, chain saw, fuel, propane cylinders et al.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and buy water purification tablets from your local camping/outdoors shop!
    Purification tabs don't work on radiation.

Somehow I think that with the number of rotting human and animal corpses about, radiation contamination of water sources will be the lesser of your problems... :(
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    Find yourself a nice abandoned ROC underground bunker and stay there for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone. I'm a long time lurker and don't usually post (not having much to contribute) but I must say this is a lovely thread, it's really cheered me up, and for what it's worth, I have a friend who has been stockpiling water for months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Find yourself a nice abandoned ROC underground bunker and stay there for a while

Shitholes. They were stripped out completely, and the vast majority no longer fit for occupation; at least the regular exercising by the ROC kept them maintained, monitored for water ingress etc.. A couple have been "restored" - including one in Portadown that the new owner, Alistair McCann, opens once a year - and all the internal fittings (what there was of them!) can still be found....or even bought new!

But they weren't designed for longtern occupation, only have room to stockpile an absolute minimum of supplies and water - the ROC in them weren't expected to survive more than a fortnight at the very very most
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and for what it's worth, I have a friend who has been stockpiling water for months.

....does he know you can get tablets for that? :p
  • MrYogiKarmaMrYogiKarma Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    Find yourself a nice abandoned ROC underground bunker and stay there for a while.

Just watch out for the rats. They'll get hungry and eat your eyes whilst you are asleep.