Options

The new Ipad. Not selling like hot cakes!!

NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did not bother queuing on Friday. Called into Apple Store in Bath in the evening. He said..yes we have plenty left. I asked if there was a queue in the morning and he said...yeah a bit. Will there be any to buy tomorrow? He smiled and winked...yes there are loads...we are not selling it as fast as we thought he replied.

So i go today at 8:00 am (special early opening on Saturday day 2). No queue at all. I was the only person there buying one.

:o:eek:

Comments

• Options
    daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    I bet they are in short supply in a day or two tho
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the other chains like currys/args havent started sleling them yet!!!

Apple does not discount for a year or so, until the next product is in line for release.

I suspect that the big chains will be forced to discount and take a reduction in mark ups. If apple allow it though
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Not worth the upgrade from the iPad 2 is my guess.

i wont be upgrading this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    Not worth the upgrade from the iPad 2 is my guess.

i wont be upgrading this year.

I bought it for my son. He is thrilled.

But i could not see much difference. They had the 2 side by side in the shop. Yes the colours and clarity are better. But hey....it wasnt bad on the ipad2. so not worth the upgrade.
  • Options
    daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    Nansbread wrote: »

Apple does not discount for a year or so, until the next product is in line for release.

I suspect that the big chains will be forced to discount and take a reduction in mark ups. If apple allow it though

John Lewis have completely sold out but that could be more to do with the two year warranty you get with it
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Alternatively, everybody thought that the stores would have none in stock so they all ordered online ...that's why the website crashed? I'm very impressed with the dictation feature it seems to work quite well
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    And so far I've had it since it arrived and not had to charge it once
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weeksy wrote: »
    Alternatively, everybody thought that the stores would have none in stock so they all ordered online ...that's why the website crashed? I'm very impressed with the dictation feature it seems to work quite well

everyone knows that the stores always get more of the stock than online sales....many many times more.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought it for my son. He is thrilled.

But i could not see much difference. They had the 2 side by side in the shop. Yes the colours and clarity are better. But hey....it wasnt bad on the ipad2. so not worth the upgrade.

Unless you have eyesight problems, I can't see how you would not be able to see the big improvement in the new iPad screen.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Argos have started selling them, as I got one from them yesterday.

There is zero chance of the iPad being discounted in any store any time soon.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.ipad-stock.co.uk/
    I bet most people chose John Lewis for obvious reasons.

Currys certainly had them yesterday.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Unless you have eyesight problems, I can't see how you would not be able to see the big improvement in the new iPad screen.

Im sure most people would be able to see a difference, especially when viewing text......

The question is whether its a big enough difference to justify an upgrade and thats where opinions will differ.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine in John Lewis this morning and you could see them all stacked behind the tills but almost everyone in the queue was buying one so I cant see the stock lasting long!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did not bother queuing on Friday. Called into Apple Store in Bath in the evening. He said..yes we have plenty left. I asked if there was a queue in the morning and he said...yeah a bit. Will there be any to buy tomorrow? He smiled and winked...yes there are loads...we are not selling it as fast as we thought he replied.

So i go today at 8:00 am (special early opening on Saturday day 2). No queue at all. I was the only person there buying one.

:o:eek:

Not true.

Theres no queues this year as there's higher stock levels. They have had alot of pre orders that's why.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. Apple has sorted the stock situation out a hell of a lot better this year. [Although the website still had a meltdown when the pre-orders went up, because of the sheer number of people trying to buy it ;) ]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yup. Apple has sorted the stock situation out a hell of a lot better this year. [Although the website still had a meltdown when the pre-orders went up, because of the sheer number of people trying to buy it ;) ]

Some Apple haters will hope it will not sell.

However for all those saying they are happy with Ipad 2 just means there will be alot more Ipad 1 users wanting to upgrade and new people on the market buying Ipad 3.

DS predicted they will sell 1 million Ipads on launch day:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a370979/new-ipad-to-sell-1-million-units-at-launch-says-analyst.html

Once word gets around about faster gaming, better cameras and offcourse a screen that beats anything round I think sales will rise as the year goes on. Don't get me wrong Ipad 2 is great.

Hopefully IOS6 will bring Siri to "The new Ipad".

Also side by side the Ipad 2/3 look the same but the truth is when you use them. Ipad 2 screen looks poor when you go back to it so that's all that has to be said.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also side by side the Ipad 2/3 look the same but the truth is when you use them. Ipad 2 screen looks poor when you go back to it so that's all that has to be said.

Similar to what I experienced. Initially the new iPad screen didn't look that much better than old iPad screen and the new iPad screen certainly didn't wow me but after a while the ipad2 screen started to look a bit worse.

It was a similar thing with HDTV. Compared to all the hype, HD didn't seem so great when you first saw it. It's only that you adjust and then SD starts to look a lot worse.

Summary: It's hard to see that the new one is better but it's easy to see that the old one is worse.
  • Options
    hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Apple haters will hope it will not sell.

However for all those saying they are happy with Ipad 2 just means there will be alot more Ipad 1 users wanting to upgrade and new people on the market buying Ipad 3.

DS predicted they will sell 1 million Ipads on launch day:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a370979/new-ipad-to-sell-1-million-units-at-launch-says-analyst.html

Once word gets around about faster gaming, better cameras and offcourse a screen that beats anything round I think sales will rise as the year goes on. Don't get me wrong Ipad 2 is great.

Hopefully IOS6 will bring Siri to "The new Ipad".

Bang on the money there. There will be Android-bois / geeks alike wanting Apple to fail.

Unfortunately, when online orders are 2 - 3 weeks now; it just shows how quickly they're selling. You can pick up an Asus Transformer or Samsung Galaxy tab, but personally don't think you will ever get the same experience.

Anyone saying iOS is ageing? - Well, it's stood the test of time and developers keep rolling in to create applications for it.

iPad 2 to iPad 3 jump not worth it? - Most of those saying that probably haven't tried one. I'm awaiting to look at a new one before I give up my original iPad. It'll take a while before applications take advantage of the extra pixels.

I agree the new iOS6 + new iPhone 5 will enhance sales and push the experience further. I just dislike the slant people put on devices that it's all about the specification. No. It's the software running on it that makes the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    Bang on the money there. There will be Android-bois / geeks alike wanting Apple to fail.

Unfortunately, when online orders are 2 - 3 weeks now; it just shows how quickly they're selling. You can pick up an Asus Transformer or Samsung Galaxy tab, but personally don't think you will ever get the same experience.

Anyone saying iOS is ageing? - Well, it's stood the test of time and developers keep rolling in to create applications for it.

iPad 2 to iPad 3 jump not worth it? - Most of those saying that probably haven't tried one. I'm awaiting to look at a new one before I give up my original iPad. It'll take a while before applications take advantage of the extra pixels.

I agree the new iOS6 + new iPhone 5 will enhance sales and push the experience further. I just dislike the slant people put on devices that it's all about the specification. No. It's the software running on it that makes the difference.

And Android tablets are not gathering the same momentum as the software in mobile phones. The fact most Apps are being tailor made for Ipad makes it the leading tablet plus it was first on the market in the "new wave of tablets" after the failures years before.

The Samsung tried to win with better cameras and flash. Now flash sites are on the way out and the Ipad 3 has better cameras. IOS5 brought all the things like notifications too.

Nobody is talking about Ipad "limitations" no flash now. All you hear is what a great product it is. I've even seen many Android fans admit the Ipad is better. I think the coin is turning on the phone market now the Iphone 4S is a solid smart phone, good cameras, better features in the OS.

Android have tried to offer what a niche market want like flash, wiglets but they have forgot about making a smooth, fast product hence Ipad wins every time. I hate touch screen phones literally. I never feel like I'm using a touch phone with the Iphone it's better than keys. Yet other phones like the Galaxy frustrate me, annoy me texting really feels like you are pushing a touch device and it feels cheap.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe people just prefer ordering online now? I always thought it a bit desperate and sad to be queuing for anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Maybe people just prefer ordering online now? I always thought it a bit desperate and sad to be queuing for anything.

Probably regretting the wait but can understand it last year I ordered mine online but it took 3 weeks to get here.
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup - not really worth the upgrade, but here's a video review I did on my YouTube channel for those who might be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FuoF-Oa5Y
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vrooom wrote: »
    Yup - not really worth the upgrade, but here's a video review I did on my YouTube channel for those who might be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FuoF-Oa5Y

interesting. An unusual reaction from a self-confessed iPad fan.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Im sure most people would be able to see a difference, especially when viewing text......

The question is whether its a big enough difference to justify an upgrade and thats where opinions will differ.

Most people skip generations with apple stuff. Especially the iOS devices, with 24 month phone contracts, and when the iPad 2 came out hardly any upgraded, but said they would wait for the ipad 3. Then most people that bought an ipad 2 didn't already have an ipad 1.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    And Android tablets are not gathering the same momentum as the software in mobile phones. The fact most Apps are being tailor made for Ipad makes it the leading tablet plus it was first on the market in the "new wave of tablets" after the failures years before.

The Samsung tried to win with better cameras and flash. Now flash sites are on the way out and the Ipad 3 has better cameras. IOS5 brought all the things like notifications too.

Nobody is talking about Ipad "limitations" no flash now. All you hear is what a great product it is. I've even seen many Android fans admit the Ipad is better. I think the coin is turning on the phone market now the Iphone 4S is a solid smart phone, good cameras, better features in the OS.

Android have tried to offer what a niche market want like flash, wiglets but they have forgot about making a smooth, fast product hence Ipad wins every time. I hate touch screen phones literally. I never feel like I'm using a touch phone with the Iphone it's better than keys. Yet other phones like the Galaxy frustrate me, annoy me texting really feels like you are pushing a touch device and it feels cheap.

Whatever way you spin it apple will lose market dominance. Its already happening.

Does that make android better or worse? No. Neither. It just means people have choice and can choose what's right for them.

Me? I went for the transformer for:
    1) form factor
    2) battery life
    3) aspect ratio
    4) richer os (not better... just richer)
    5) dev support
    6) flash (still very much alive .... for now....)

But these were MY reasons and will differ from yours.

If you prefer the iPad and it suits your needs better then great. But if you think anyone can decide which is BEST then you are deluded!

Ask someone what is the best car? Or dog? Its what suits you best.

What I think is just plain silly is when people buy into a BRAND and then assume its the best. I bet you don't do that for a new TV or washing machine .....