Nexus or Mini

Comments

• d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    so are we comparing the Nexus 7 to the iPhone 5 ?
    Does the mini use screen lamination ??

Not sure of the technical names, but the iPad Mini is using a totally new technology screen which I am presuming to containing laminating (as it is so thin, I'm referring to the screen here not the while Mini).
    iPad mini will feature industry leading "GF Ditto," otherwise known as GF2, touchscreen technology. He said that Apple will be the first company in the world to commercialize and mass produce GF Ditto technology.

The new method is apparently an improvement from the "G/G touch structure" Apple currently utilizes in its third-generation iPad with Retina display. The switch will allow the new iPad to be not only thinner but significantly lighter.

The iPad mini will be about as thin as Apple's next-generation iPhone, according to Kuo. He estimates that the iPad mini's panel thickness will be below 2.2 millimeters alone, or below 4.2 millimeters including the printed circuit board — both numbers that he said are thinner than the average tablet on the market today.

Production of a device so thin and light has become a particular challenge for Apple in the manufacturing process, he said. In particular, the thinness of the new iPad "poses a challenge to panel assembly yield," as well as passing the company's "drop test" for durability.

In addition, have you seen the reviews released today after the expiry of NDA's?

Telegraph, Guardian etc, all make a big issue of build quality and quality of materials when compared to Fire, Nexus, etc.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    Telegraph, Guardian etc, all make a big issue of build quality and quality of materials when compared to Fire, Nexus, etc.

Does anyone take what Charles Arthur says seriously? He even screwed up massively on the prices in the article (in Apple's favour, naturally)
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Does anyone take what Charles Arthur says seriously? He even screwed up massively on the prices in the article (in Apple's favour, naturally)

Leaving Arthur's review aside, here are 10 reviews to peruse.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3408224
    the iPad mini is the best compact sized tablet on the market," said Harry McCracken from TIME. "The result may be a product in a category of one – but I have a hunch that it's going to be an awfully popular category.
    Rich Jaroslovsky from Bloomberg wrote: "I can tell you the iPad mini is the best small tablet you can buy."
    "If the mini had a Retina display, I'd switch from the iPad 3 in a heartbeat," said Daring Fireball's John Gruber. "As it stands, I'm going to switch anyway. Going non-Retina is a particularly bitter pill for me, but I like the iPad mini's size and weight so much that I'm going to swallow it."
    The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg said: "In shrinking the iconic iPad, Apple has pulled off an impressive feat. It has managed to create a tablet that's notably thinner and lighter than the leading small competitors with 7in screens while squeezing in a significantly roomier 7.9in display"
    At Tech Crunch, reviewer MG Siegler said: "The iPad mini isn't perfect – for one reason [the lack of a Retina display] in particular – but it's damn close to my ideal device."

"The iPad mini is an explosion of handheld joy," Siegler said.
    The New York Times' David Pogue wrote: "Overall, the mini gives you all the iPad goodness in a more manageable size and it's awesome. You could argue that the iPad mini is what the iPad always wanted to be."
    "I can't think of another company that cares as much about how its products are designed and built – or one that knows how to maximize a supply chain as skilfully," said Joshua Topolsky from The Verge. "So something tells me that it's no accident that this tablet isn't selling for $200."

"There's no tablet in this size range that's as beautifully crafted, works as flawlessly, or has such an incredible software selection," Topolsky continued. "Would I prefer a higher-res display? Certainly. Would I trade it for the app selection or hardware design? For the consistency and smoothness of its software, or the reliability of its battery? Absolutely not. And as someone who's been living with (and loving) Google's Nexus 7 for a few months, I don't say that lightly."
    Engadget's Tim Stevens said that the iPad mini is "Apple's best tablet yet, an incredibly thin, remarkably light, obviously well-constructed device that offers phenomenal battery life.
    Jim Dalrymple at The Loop initially said that he didn't think the iPad mini would fit into his workflow, and suggested that he would stick with Apple's full-size tablet instead. Now that he's seen the iPad mini first hand, though Dalrymple says he was wrong.

In his review, Dalrymple said that has tried many competing tablets, including Microsoft's new Surface, but "the quality of these other tablets is so inferior to what Apple manufactures that they felt like plastic toys in your hands."

"I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." The iPad mini is a perfect example of that," writes Dalrymple.

"If you want to save $50 and buy a cheap-ass tablet, go ahead. If you want quality the iPad mini will be waiting for you when you come to your senses."

All paid for Apple stooges? Or just perhaps the quality is that step up?

I think Jim Dalrymple sums it up perfectly ;).
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many of those reviewers do you think actually bought their ipad mini?

I certainly wouldn't say bad things about something I got for free, especially if I wanted to keep getting them! :D
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Perfect..... you toddle off and buy your iPad mini then ;)

Ill stick with the faster, higher res unit with GPS and NFC and save a packet thanks :)

I'm guessing you will be using the phrase "but its so much better quality" a lot when showing it to other people :p
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I like about google tablets are they are not afraid to have a plastic element to them, and call it plastic, just a really good bit of plastic, designed so you can hold it without it slipping. I am unsure why the fruit based brushed aluminium slippy finish is somehow better?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the other reviews and it seems the previous parameters for reviewing tablets are no longer valid ;-)

Out go screen quality, value for money, speed and graphic capability
    In comes feel, balance and quality each of which are open to bias and opinion, neither of which belong in a technology review.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

MG Siegler is well known as being incredibly biased towards Apple. He even references this in some of his articles - his Nexus 7 review is entitled "An ipad lover's take on the Nexus 7"
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/15/omg-he-likes-it-he-really-likes-it/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gruber
    Basically writes about Apple from the sound of it

(here's a link that refers to both of them as professional apple fans
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1091507-mg-siegler-professional-apple-fan-likes-the-nexus-7-hell-freezes-over/
    )

I suspect at least some of the others will be too (I don't recognise them to know either way). They're comparing the ipad mini to their ipad a lot of the time. That's a big clue ;)

Thats not to say I expect anyone to write that the ipad mini is a piece of shit, of course not. The ipad is a good tablet, that is accepted all round. The ipad mini is a small ipad, therefore it is also a good tablet. However there are better out there, and pretending that somehow non-Apple tablets struggle to get a great selection of apps doesn't change that.
  • AbbeyCrunchAbbeyCrunch Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    fluffed wrote: »
    One thing I like about google tablets are they are not afraid to have a plastic element to them, and call it plastic, just a really good bit of plastic, designed so you can hold it without it slipping. I am unsure why the fruit based brushed aluminium slippy finish is somehow better?

Apple will probably eventually realise this and change the ipad to have a rubberised plastic back. They'll accompany it with an advert along the lines of:

"We thought handheld tablets should be - well easier to hold in the hand. Our new table provides additional grip by using a surface which provides better traction. Another dazzling display of common sense."
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will be interesting to see the ipad mini side by side with the nexus to see how they compare size wise.

If they look pretty similar, I expect the ipads bigger screen will be a draw to some.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    MG Siegler is well known as being incredibly biased towards Apple. He even references this in some of his articles - his Nexus 7 review is entitled "An ipad lover's take on the Nexus 7"
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/15/omg-he-likes-it-he-really-likes-it/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gruber
    Basically writes about Apple from the sound of it

(here's a link that refers to both of them as professional apple fans
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1091507-mg-siegler-professional-apple-fan-likes-the-nexus-7-hell-freezes-over/
    )

I suspect at least some of the others will be too (I don't recognise them to know either way). They're comparing the ipad mini to their ipad a lot of the time. That's a big clue ;)

Thats not to say I expect anyone to write that the ipad mini is a piece of shit, of course not. The ipad is a good tablet, that is accepted all round. The ipad mini is a small ipad, therefore it is also a good tablet. However there are better out there, and pretending that somehow non-Apple tablets struggle to get a great selection of apps doesn't change that.

I read through that list of quotes and pretty much everyone on that list has posted positively about Apple on a regular basis for the last few years. It's fairly predictable that they would like the iPad Mini as they've liked most other Apple products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said elsewhere, its good marketing strategy to let the most-pro journalists review your stuff first; it happened with the iphone 5 - the problems like maps, they all glossed over.

Charles Arthur:
    The news in May that Google was sidelined as the provider of maps for the iPhone caused a fair amount of hand-wringing and worry. Would it be as good? Or would it just use some in-between rubbish?

Don't worry – it's very good.

MG Siegler:
    Testing the maps these last few days, I’ve come away impressed

:D

its only when it gets into the hands of everyone (tomorrow?) that we'll start to see a proper picture. Not that I'm expecting a scuffgate or purplegate or mapgate. But I think there'll be a bit more objective comparison of the mini and say the Nexus 7.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    How many of those reviewers do you think actually bought their ipad mini?

I certainly wouldn't say bad things about something I got for free, especially if I wanted to keep getting them! :D

The vast majority of journalists do not accept gifts as its seen as a bribe so i suspect none of them got one for free.

The majority of them work for publications that would fire them if they did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    The vast majority of journalists do not accept gifts as its seen as a bribe so i suspect none of them got one for free.

You clearly have no idea about Journalists accepting gifts.
    They don't call them freebies, they are called "long term evaluation units" they simply never get given back. Net result you get the product for free.

It's considered a perk of the job.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, he doesn't. Every review of the Surface for example goes on about how it feels like a well made, quality product. Then Jim Dalrymple basically says it feels cheaply made.

The iPad Mini may be well built, but you can't just say the rest are all cheap feeling compared to it when the large majority of reviews have praised the Surface's build quality.

I've held the likes of the Kindle fire, it doesn't feel like a cheap toy as he would put it.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would bet my house on every one of them getting them for free, if they didn't then where did they get them from? ;)
    It's just like many of the game websites nowadays, they refuse to give games the bad score they deserve in case they stop getting their free review copies.

The reviews I tend to trust are those made by a paying customer.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flipper411 wrote: »
    You clearly have no idea about Journalists accepting gifts.
    They don't call them freebies, they are called "long term evaluation units" they simply never get given back. Net result you get the product for free.

It's considered a perk of the job.

You have a source to back this up?

I listen to plenty of podcasts and the journalists on them certainly don't back this up. They say they have been offered to keep units and they send them back so they can stay credible,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    You have a source to back this up?

I listen to plenty of podcasts and the journalists on them certainly don't back this up. They say they have been offered to keep units and they send them back so they can stay credible,

Without going into details, I work in this industry and see "PR" samples leaving the office everyday, never to return.

I can list pretty much every top Tech publication, website and Daily National titles where this is standard practice.

I'll go further and tell you all major companies fly media to exotic locations put them up in 5 star Hotels for launch events, wine them dine them and even pay for visits to Gentlemens clubs. Give them long term evaluation samples.

Now you tell me if a company does all that and as a Journalist you come back with a crap review, do you think you would get invited again????

The best reviews of products are from the Joe Bloggs who do youtube reviews from their bedrooms.

Also with Apple you have to remember the print press are S*** scared of upsetting them in case they dont stay on the good side of Apple. The future of their industry is in the digital space, which currently is disproportionately dominated by Apple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So to make sure I understand the rules if I consider buying a tablet, is it only Apple that pay all the reviewers and therefore you can't believe what they write, or is it all manufacturers?

Also, I assume if someone prints a negative review, they are being paid by the competition and so should also be ignored?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Also, I assume if someone prints a negative review, they are being paid by the competition and so should also be ignored?

Negative, no. But if the review is completely biased then yes you can assume so.

For example my comment about Jim Dalrymple earlier who said all other tablets feel cheap compared to the iPad mini screams of someone who is biased. As he even compared it to the Surface which has won praise for it's build quality. To me that just doesn't sound right.#

I think it's more to do with sites that just discuss Apple products, they are of course going to be biased in someway. Same applies to sites that just discuss Android/MS etc they really can't be used as a definitive source when comparing with other manufacturer products.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Negative, no. But if the review is completely biased then yes you can assume so.

For example my comment about Jim Dalrymple earlier who said all other tablets feel cheap compared to the iPad mini screams of someone who is biased. As he even compared it to the Surface which has won praise for it's build quality. To me that just doesn't sound right.

But.....going by the logic we just applied, it is Jim Dalrymple who must be right.

All the reviews that say the Surface is well build must be ignored because it is obvious MS have payed them to say it. On the other hand, the comment about the build quality feeling cheap (ie, negative) must be true....or have I not understood the rules properly:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But.....going by the logic we just applied, it is Jim Dalrymple who must be right.

All the reviews that say the Surface is well build must be ignored because it is obvious MS have payed them to say it. On the other hand, the comment about the build quality feeling cheap (ie, negative) must be true....or have I not understood the rules properly:)

True, but even sites that normally seem in favor of Apple, Engadget being one, were impressed with the build quality of Surface.

I updated my last post, maybe that makes it clearer as to what I was trying to get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    True, but even sites that normally seem in favor of Apple, Engadget being one, were impressed with the build quality of Surface.

I updated my last post, maybe that makes it clearer as to what I was trying to get it.

As I sure you guessed, I was only kidding around.

When it comes to comments on quality of built and how a product feels I find it best to pick it up and have a play for myself.

I would like to see the Nexus 7 and Ipad mini side by side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I sure you guessed, I was only kidding around.

When it comes to comments on quality of built and how a product feels I find it best to pick it up and have a play for myself.

I would like to see the Nexus 7 and Ipad mini side by side.

Oh of course, I could sense you weren't having a go :p

We're hopefully getting some into my work next week to test on so will be interested myself to see how it compares against other smaller tablets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A rather less pro-Apple review, with lots of proper comparison (i.e. not just subjective "it feels better built") with the Nexus 7.
    http://www.stuff.tv/review/apple-ipad-mini