Options

Anti-English sentiment in Scotland

DiazDiaz Posts: 220
Forum Member
Any English people ever been abused in Scotland for simply being English?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/msps-demand-action-is-taken-after-1485805 - http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scotland/anti-english-sentiment-blamed-as-whites-suffer-rise-in-racism-1-2685148

Shocking stuff from Scottish people.

I know there are instances of anti-Scottish abuse in England but it is very very very rare and isolated cases, there is a case in the paper at the moment about in Herfordshire, very rare though.

So any English people been abused in Scotland for being English?

Comments

• Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but was made to feel uncomfortable on holiday in North Wales.
  • Options
    DiazDiaz Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I would like to say before the inevitable "Scottish people suffer abuse from the English in England!" that statistically that is simply untrue, there are very few documented cases within the last decade of Scottish people being abused by an English person in England for being Scottish, it simply doesn't ever really happen except a few very rare occasions.

However statistically it seems that anti-English sentiment in Scotland against English people is on the rise.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it funny really that I have had Scottish friends that talk about their 'Scottishness' to me, but I have also had friends from many other places that haven't felt the need to point out their 'nesses' to me.

(I know that looks, and sounds if read out loud, as stupid, but I know what I mean)
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Nothing new I'm afraid but then again it's only a minority of Scots that are and even then it depends on whether Celtic and Rangers are playing each other because the attention then switches to religion.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Funny sort of thing really.

In SW Scotland there's plenty of "generic anti-englishness".
    Locals will always hang the flags of France, Wales, Italy etc out of their front windows during the 6 Nations or the flags of any team England are playing in the footie.
    Conversely, the people around here are nothing but friendly and welcoming toward individual English people.
    Hell, that's why I moved up here.

Conversely, there are parts of Scotland which seem to harbour a genuine resentment of the English but, oddly enough, most of those are places that the rest of Scotland think are a bunch of arseholes as well.

I got growled at quite a bit in Fife, for example, and when I mentioned it to a mate of mine in Glasgow he said "Aye but that's f**king Fifers for ye".
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird, my English father has lived and worked in Fife for 40 years and claims never to have suffered anti English abuse beyond a bit of gentle footie based banter and its not something I noticed growing up there (no longer live there myself).

Where in Fife did you get growled at and what sort of stuff did they say?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I visited Edinburgh I found the peopl especially friendly and welcoming. Sure you will get the odd vocal nationalist and he who shouts the loudest gets heard but all the Scots I have met have been great.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Alex Salmon comes across as an anti-english person which doesn't help.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on holiday to Scotland and when I walked into a bar they all started speaking Scottish whereas previously they'd been speaking English.

Oh no hold on, that was Wales.

Oh hold on, I'm Welsh... was that an English pub all speaking Welsh... or Scottish?

Oh I don't know.
  • Options
    kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's Begbey when ye need him lol
  • Options
    logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I visited Edinburgh I found the peopl especially friendly and welcoming. Sure you will get the odd vocal nationalist and he who shouts the loudest gets heard but all the Scots I have met have been great.

But thats cos everyone in Edinburgh is Austrlalian or American!!!

I'm a Scot living in England, aside from some gentle piss taking, never had a problem:)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husbands uncle got a job transfer to Scotland a few years ago because his ex wife was from there and wanted to he near her parents. He managed to stick it for about 6 months before he came back to London. He's no shrinking violet but couldn't put up with the amount of abuse he received on a daily basis especially for taking one of 'their' jobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »

I'm a Scot living in England, aside from some gentle piss taking, never had a problem:)

And lets face it, life would be boring without a bit of piss taking.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Well it's not surprising since Alex Salmond's campaign is based on anti English sentiment.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was invited to do a talk up in the Highlands, a sort of history/ folk customs thing, and we were treated with nothing but friendliness and kindness. Adored it.

Am hoping I get asked back one day. I have several English friends who have made their home on Orkney and they never seem to have a problem, either.
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing more than the typical mickey taking banter, especially as someone was saying earlier, the sporting events. England v Scotland in this house during the Six Nations. :D It gets quite heated. I've always found the Scots very friendly and welcoming to me personally, including the poor soul at work I spoke to on the phone who couldn't get his head round an English accent he'd never heard before being in the same building. "Are you sure you're in Edinburgh?" He asked. I offered to come and find him.

My staunch SNP supporting OH isn't anti English as such, he's anti-London. He doesn't like being controlled by an establishment 500 miles away that have no clue or interest in how their policies affect this area, and nor his taxes having to go to things like the Olympics last year.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »

I'm a scot but without the accent, my parents have theirs. My mum has frequently been told to go back to where she's from by some ignorant twins ... Poland :/. Funny!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Alex Salmon comes across as an anti-english person which doesn't help.
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Well it's not surprising since Alex Salmond's campaign is based on anti English sentiment.

True. Like many English people, I'm praying that Scotland votes in favour of independence, then they can sod off and get on with it (same with the Welsh too).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a scot but without the accent, my parents have theirs. My mum has frequently been told to go back to where she's from by some ignorant twins ... Poland :/. Funny!

What on earth was your dear mother doing to provoke such a reaction?
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    What on earth was your dear mother doing to provoke such a reaction?

Serving somebody at her place of work who to exception to her non English accent. No provocation I'm afraid.

And my phone auto corrected **** to twins ????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rednell wrote: »
    My staunch SNP supporting OH isn't anti English as such, he's anti-London. He doesn't like being controlled by an establishment 500 miles away that have no clue or interest in how their policies affect this area, and nor his taxes having to go to things like the Olympics last year.

So are most people in England, and at least Scottish MPs have the luxury of voting on matters which ONLY affect the population of England and Wales. It's a total and utter disgrace.
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are most people in England, and at least Scottish MPs have the luxury of voting on matters which ONLY affect the population of England and Wales. It's a total and utter disgrace.

It is. Completely agree. There's no fairness in the system at all.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep because you know, English people are never ever racist against the Scots are they? ;)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2290337/Neighbour-hell-racially-abused-couple-SCOTTISH-pelted-home-vegetables.html
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the Parliament which permitted this ridiculous state of affairs is based where ? Like so much of the 'independent Scotland' process, public opinion is carefully manipulated. I wonder if this could be another spoke in that wheel ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    And the Parliament which permitted this ridiculous state of affairs is based where ? Like so much of the 'independent Scotland' process, public opinion is carefully manipulated. I wonder if this could be another spoke in that wheel ?

Which probably explains why many English people living outside the little bubble of the Home Counties despise London and Westminster as much as the Scottish.