Corrie's Big C Storyline

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess so, and of course, the outlook for pancreatic cancer is usually pretty dreadful, unfortunately. I would just rather they'd given Hayley something she could have recovered from which would have seen her priorities change and sent her off to travel the world. It would have been less painful and been better drama, IMO. I do not like this suicide bit of the story at all - it suggests that is the only way to take control of a terminal illness
  • Mani_BhangraMani_Bhangra Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is when soaps tackle a issue like this, it helps viewers to understand the effects and also does help save life's too.
  • mamabearmamabear Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    The thing is when soaps tackle a issue like this, it helps viewers to understand the effects and also does help save life's too.

agree with this. Soaps are suppose to mirror the everyday lives of normal people yet put in dramma and humour to balance it out. If you want light relief all the time..tune into a sitcom.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    No, f-iona (post #9) has explained very well why cancer stories are different and more deeply disturbing.

No, they really haven't. Soaps cover other, very deep disturbing real life issues. Cancer shouldn't be singled out. Because, as I said earlier, where do you decide to draw the line? Before you know it TV won't be able to portray anything for fear of offence or upset.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    No, they really haven't. Soaps cover other, very deep disturbing real life issues. Cancer shouldn't be singled out. Because, as I said earlier, where do you decide to draw the line? Before you know it TV won't be able to portray anything for fear of offence or upset.
    This!
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Why can't cancer be singled out? Child abuse is never shown on soaps and that sadly happens all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Does Hayley die this week ? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Why can't cancer be singled out? Child abuse is never shown on soaps and that sadly happens all the time.

Haven't they done a child abuse storyline in Eastenders?
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    OldEnough wrote: »
    Haven't they done a child abuse storyline in Eastenders?

Child abuse has been covered on soaps most notably in Family Affairs but on Hollyoaks to a degree and most 'famously' on EE.

There's very little not been covered on soaps but what gets me about the criticism of covering cancer is that surely covering every day traumas is to be applauded as opposed to the usual over the top stuff. I think Corrie have done very well with this tbh. It is very a very difficult matter.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Child abuse has been covered, a few times.

Why should cancer be singled out? I'm yet to hear a convincing argument for it. Other very terrible, real life ordeals are portrayed through stories. What makes cancer any different?
  • CharkyCharky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Hurry up Haley for gawds sake.

That's disgusting and so are you. This may be a storyline but it's reflecting real life. You are a poor excuse of a 'man' and should be ashamed of yourself.
  • racheynharryracheynharry Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I've found this hard to watch having lost my stepdad to Pancreatic cancer back in 2010.

I think that soaps need to show that you cant always have a happy ending with situations like this, at the end of the day you can always switch it off.

I think this storyline has been portrayed better than Brendas on Emmerdale whose illness never gets mentioned since her daughter died!
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Neilson's acting is superb

Sally Webster's cancer storyline was very poignant as Sally Dynevor had cancer at that time.

Alma Halliwell's cancer storyline was harrowing; she really looked increasingly ill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    Is it me or does anyone else think this storyline us completely unnecessary:confused:
    So many people have been through this agony in real life
    Is it necessary to drag everyone through the misery of it on a soap????:cry:

I think it's in bad taste, i.e. it's being run as a populist drama theme that isn't going to help anyone.

Julie Hesmondhalgh seems to think Haley's demise represents the pinnacle of her acting career, personally I would rather Haley had been run over by a bus, i.e. short and sweet.

I think EE and Corrie compete for the most depressing plot at Christmas time.

Perhaps they ought to start thinking about getting back to entertaining the public.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think credit has to go to the writers and the acting that we are all finding this hard to watch, it is painfully real and can be a hard watch, huge credit to Corrie for how they have portrayed this storyline and giving a legendary character in Hayley Cropper the exit she deserves.