Options

DVR-420H 'high speed copy' weirdness

archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
Forum Member
✭✭
I record a 2 hour programme in EP mode most weekdays. I then copy three of the recordings to DVD-RW. Sometimes 'high speed copy' works, but usually I get the message that it "cannot be used for this copy list with a Video Mode disc".

I just can't seem to pin down what makes the difference. For instance, this week I have 3 which cannot and 2 which can. It's nothing to do with their size as I get the 'cannot' message even with single (2 hour) recordings, and the programmes don't have advertising breaks or anything else which I would consider as a difference.

Anyone get the same or know what causes it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I have a Pioneer 550, a Sony 870 and a Sony 770 (both rebadged Pioneers) The 770 will high speed copy anything but both the Pioneer and Sony 870 will not high speed copy anything lower quality than LP. It says in the manual that EP and lower cannot be high speed copied. I find it very frustrating as I like to bang a lot on them to watch when I eventually have time. The 770 shouldnt do it either but I am glad it does. If I copy them in VR mode I cannot play them on my Panosonic DVD recorders as they do not recognise VR mode even when finalised.

RosemaryP
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply Rosemary. I think I tried LP mode and got similar results, but I'll try it again.

I use EP mode and record to Video mode discs because I only need the sound (it's a radio programme I record), which I strip from the DVDs using DVD decrypter IFO stream processing. It used to work fine...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Is the Pioneer sensing an aspect ratio change at some point, whether falsely or otherwise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to have cured the problem quite accidentally. I didn't mention in my OP that the source was a rather old Panasonic Sky box. I upgraded to a (Pace I think) Sky+ box and the problem has completely disappeared :)

I think it probably was due to false aspect ratio changes, as lfbarfe suggested. Had to be something like that.