Amazing Race Canada 4

starrystarry Posts: 12,434
Forum Member
✭✭
First episode just aired.

Happy enough with the final result. Happy the first team that took the penalty survived, though that was a huge risk and they were lucky another team took the penalty. The closing of the first road block due to weather was another factor that played into things. Jillian was hilarious, even at this early stage she seemed very on edge, even with them being at the front of the pack. What will happen when it gets harder for them....

It was a good start and it looks like they will make it tough as they say with various challenges and navigation. So it will be good and more like the AU one was rather than like the US version is now.

Comments

• Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Silly to take a penalty when the second try is easier, moreover making sure that another team who took a penalty don't finish last. The last team got what they deserved.

I hope they will go to another country, however nice the scenery is in Canada, it can get boring, which is how I found season 1. Seems like TAR Canada makes more of a point of having all kinds of minority or ethnic or special groups represented (French speakers, aboriginal, Chinese, visually impaired, lesbians, gay son, Italian single mums, etc.) which is fine but it does begin look like they have a diversity quota they needed to fill. They also do it to a large extent in the American one but it feels a lot more forced in the Canadian version.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goose bumps every time I hear the opening theme.
    Indeed an enjoyable first episode. I like the teams, although once again they have done their utmost to tick all the boxes. But they're changing the English lyrics to the national anthem to be more inclusive, so this comes a no surprise.
    It was all a bit hectic and at times hard to follow, but it's been that way since the first episode of the first season. It calms down as the season progresses.

Like Alex_B1 I hope they visit some other countries. Canada is vast and there's loads of adventurous things to do, but it would be nice to see them cope with different and different languages. It all feels a bit safe in a country full of friendly people and Beamo cash points aplenty.
    At least they should go to Breda (Netherlands) and visit the headquarters of one of their main sponsors, Mentos. And then in an echo from TAR, play some farmer's golf in stormy weather.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The presenter at the start said they were racing around Canada and the world, and they have I think in the previous two seasons anyway. The first was the weaker one being only in Canada and arguably having a weaker cast. But they've upped their game since.

I kind of like the diversity overall in the Canadian one. I can't say I would be aware of some of the diversity casting had I not been told, for instance the 'Italians' just seem Canadian to me and tick other boxes anyway. Casting two black teams was kind of strange as neither seems great characters, but one is gone now anyway. Casting a French speaking team is a pretty obvious thing to do in Canada in all honesty, and if they go to a French speaking place it plays a role in the storyline. One reason I think the race likes ready made storylines like the the blind guy is it's easier for people to remember more teams early on.

Overall people seem happy with the cast on the internet, there seems more character than the US ones gives now. It may be closer to how the AU one was, also in the number of tasks and potential difficulty level too.

The only thing that annoys me tends to be the 'patriotic' aspect, only seen so far in the opening where the presenter said 'make Canada proud'. And of course there's the product placement, but that's the necessary evil I suppose. I just switch off mentality when that's on, and then resume the second it's over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main fact about the cast is that there are so many female racers, well outnumbering the men, even more so after the first elimination.
    Forum Member
    I don't really mind the diversity aspect of it, but it should be done on the basis on whether the racers are interesting people or not. One of my favorites last season was probably the transgender one, and in the first season the amputee. In this season the First Nations beauty queen and the visually-impaired look interesting - in the case of physical impairment it is interesting to see how they cope in a competition, although it should not be overdone. I guess the Canadian TAR is stuck with the obligatory French speakers given the political situation, but it does give the show a sense of having diversity for sake of it, rather than on the merit of the racers chosen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me tends to be the 'patriotic' aspect, only seen so far in the opening where the presenter said 'make Canada proud'.

In that respect nothing will top the leg where they ended up on Juno Beach in Normandy with a D-Day veteran on the mat. Some say it was the most patriotic moment on Canadian Reality TV of all time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    I don't really mind the diversity aspect of it, but it should be done on the basis on whether the racers are interesting people or not. One of my favorites last season was probably the transgender one, and in the first season the amputee. In this season the First Nations beauty queen and the visually-impaired look interesting - in the case of physical impairment it is interesting to see how they cope in a competition, although it should not be overdone. I guess the Canadian TAR is stuck with the obligatory French speakers given the political situation, but it does give the show a sense of having diversity for sake of it, rather than on the merit of the racers chosen.

I agree with you, it all seems a bit too much.

I've read somewhere that the producers have to walk a very thin line when it comes to casting. Diversity is one important aspect, but teams from as many provinces/territories as possible is another one. Not an easy task.
    Very vocal complaining about the casting has quickly become a strong tradition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelly/Kate got screwed over by that shit taxi driver at the end, thankfully for them it was a non elimination. Rita/Yvette have their taxi driver to thank that they aren't the ones doing the speed bump. Hope Kelly/Kate survive, they are probably the most entertaining.

Rapelling is just tedious now, I've seen it too many times on this show. I thought the tower looked quite ugly too.
    Forum Member
    I'm finding it entertaining so far, although still not sold on the racers (some of the them are a bit too bland). I think it is foolish of Jillian and Emmett to make possible enemies by reneging on a deal so early in the race. The way some people want to come first all the time is just stupid - it doesn't make a great deal of difference whether you come first or not in a leg (as long as you don't come last), the only one that matter is the final leg and you should make sure you get to the last leg and win that one. Pointless to renege on a deal like that and risk people ganging up on you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the second express pass twist, it's been overdone so much it's no longer a twist. And it was just put in to create alliances anyway. I didn't quite catch the deal as it was mentioned in the episode, I assume it was the team that came second to the records would get the extra express pass. But that defeats the whole point of the task which is to have teams competing against each other to get it. It's a very random way to award it anyway, it's just whether you pick the right pile or not.
    Forum Member
    I think the deal is that whoever that find the express pass first would give the second one to the other team. That means that there would be two teams looking for the express pass, so they would find it much faster. It is entirely possible that they could find the express pass and still have time to come first in the race (which makes Jillian and Emmett's decision all the more stupid).

I like the way they do it here, because if they spend too much time looking for the express pass, they might be in danger of getting eliminated, so may have to use it straight away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those who go for the express pass are at the front of the pack so that gives them some leeway. There weren't that many piles of records either really.
    Forum Member
    Something occurred to me while watching this - for Roadblock they normally don't give a lot of information about the task they would need to do, therefore often you see the wrong person choosing to do a Roadblock. I would assume that they are doing it different here, because they can't have a person who is visually impaired doing something they can't physically do (like herding ducks), so they would have to give a lot more information on what they need to do.

They did something similar with the herding ducks in Vietname, although a bit differently, some years back in TAR if I remember it correctly,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The big penalty pretty much killed this leg dead. They tried to get suspense that the dehydration with the coconuts was about to cause another team major problems, but I wasn't buying it. The main difficulty in this leg seemed to be the heat. Otherwise it was about herding and carrying stuff for most of them. The penalty for the water taxi mixed things up a bit and showed the danger of following the crowd.

The patriotic bit was saying that Canada welcomes everyone from anywhere and that anybody can all go there, which I don't believe. Maybe they could help with millions of arab refugees then.
    Forum Member
    Yes, the heat can be a problem - I went to Cambodia last year around the time of year they would have filmed the show (and it can get hotter than Vietnam) and the heat came as a bit of a shock, far hotter than Singapore which is nearer the Equator. However it is still his own fault for herding ducks into other people's pen, it seems like he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. Maybe the heat clouded his judgement, who knows. Once they took the penalty we all know it's over for them.

Still, it was fun seeing a dejected Emmett sitting there waiting for the penalty time to be over.

Probably a problem with the selection of the racers that I still can't quite distinguish which team is which for a few of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that part of the world they wear those hats to protect themselves from the Sun, that would have helped them more than throwing water over themselves if they were out in the open for a long period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jill and Emmett gave up on the karaoke too quickly I thought, particularly as not all of it was in Viet anyway. They were lucky that the last place team seemed so far behind that they stood little chance anyway. The detour was definitely the highlight, along with Kelly and Kate winning.
    Forum Member
    They seem to be falling apart after winning the first couple of legs. If they don't pull themselves together they'd get eliminated soon. It's weird how Emmett just talked himself out of the karaoke song after just one try. When you consider how many times they have to do the flair-bartending thing (was it 59 attempts?) they could have finished the karaoke after just a few tries. Maybe they just don't feel confident in a foreign country.
    Forum Member
    So many racers don't seem to understand that they should use their Express Pass for something they can't do well, not just waste it for the first task they need to do. The obsession with getting first place on any leg except for the last one isn't really a clever way of winning the race.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before any use of an express pass I expect a team to have a go first if they aren't near the back. That could have cost them.

The last two eliminations have been bad for the race I feel. In the latest episode a really obvious break till morning because of the lack of trains. I like the searching for clues, but putting it in open view in the middle of the floor of the prison cells didn't make it so interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's only a catchup episode this week because of the Olympics I suppose.
    Forum Member
    The Olympics certainly had disrupted my viewing because I spent most of my time watching it since there were so many events.

Anyway, I really don't like it when they keep going back to Canada, surely just a short hop to the States would have been better? The last one in Canada is really a bit dull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last leg was mainly physical. It was obvious quickly who the last place team would be and I wasn't really that disappointed in them going. I really thought the leaders would u-turn Team BB but I think they backed off when they met them at the u-turn board, they didn't have the guts to do it face to face. Wouldn't mind that Fire/Ice duo (as they call themselves) out next, they aren't that good and though hyped as comedy characters they aren't that funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good penultimate episode imo, worth seeing.