Options

Strange buzzing noise coming from behind bedroom wall

towerstowers Posts: 12,183
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't know if there's any insect experts around, who know anything about the noises insects make when creating nests in your home but any information would be greatly received.

For the last few weeks, we've been hearing this strange ( not quite ) buzzing noise that seems to be located behind our bedroom wall. It's not the deep buzzing noise that a wasp or large bee would make when flying around but more the kind of quieter buzzing that a small bee makes when its collecting pollen from a flower, if anyone knows what I mean. The noise lasts for a few minutes at a time, goes on throughout the day - though I think it gets a little quitter at night - and it's almost like a solitary bee communicating rather than a hive of activity..

I know we could call in pest control but would appreciate any ideas about whether I actually have a bees' nest in my walls..

ETA - our garage is attached to the house on the bedroom side but whenever we go into the garage, there's no strange noises to be heard. We've also yet to see any significant numbers of bees or wasps coming and going around our house and garden.

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you in a semi detached or terraced house, and is your bedroom joined to the bedroom of a single woman next door?

If so, I think I know what it might be.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Are you in a semi detached or terraced house, and is your bedroom joined to the bedroom of a single woman next door?

Bees? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ha ha ( I think )

Semi-detached house and our bedroom wall in attached to the garage roof, no sign of noises in the garage itself though.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Bees? :p

Yeah....vibrating ones ^_^

Could be a beehive OP. You could get the council to check it out. Best not tackle it yourself because of the potential danger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Could be a beehive OP. You could get the council to check it out. Best not tackle it yourself because of the potential danger.

I never would, the very idea gives me the shivers :o though a wasps nest would be the worst case scenario for me..
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the transformer for the low voltage lighting, Careful, they'll be a swarm of them if you leave it too long.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    I never would, the very idea gives me the shivers :o though a wasps nest would be the worst case scenario for me..
    Possibly bees, do you have an electric socket on the affected wall?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Bees are not classed as a pest. These will need to be removed by a qualified bee keeper.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Bees are not classed as a pest. These will need to be removed by a qualified bee keeper.

I've got a bees' nest in my bathroom wall, in a disused extractor fan (which is sealed up on the inside to stop draughts). But I can see them flying about outside.

It wasn't that obvious though if they were wasps or bees as they don't keep still long enough to look closely. Apparently bees' nests are OK. It just means I can't open my bathroom window as they might think of setting up extended quarters inside.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

quite right

This bit is also quite useful, OP - although this is my council, I'd imagine the advice will be roughly the same, nationwide:-
    Difference between wasps and bees
    Many people report sightings of wasps (particularly early season April/May) which are actually honey bees or solitary bees (mortar and mining bees). Bees are often confused with wasps because they have a similar shape. However, wasps have distinct yellow/black bands around the abdomen whereas bees have a more non-descript light brown/browny-yellow colour.

Honey bees are social insects and live in a nest which may contain several thousand workers. Unlike wasps and bumble bees, the honey bee's nest survives for many years.

If you are unsure as to whether you have a wasp's nest or bee's nest you should look carefully at the brickwork to see if they are going in or out of a single hole/air brick or investigating several holes over an area wider than one foot.

Wasps will use a single hole but mortar bees will investigate several. A further test is whether or not the activity continues on cold overcast days or just warm sunny days. Mortar bees will only be active on sunny days.

Although honey bees are capable of stinging, they are generally not aggressive and will not sting unless provoked. Bees should, preferably, be left alone. They may however be dealt with on an eradication service in extenuating circumstance, for example if they are in a location that could be dangerous to the public and they are unlikely to move on in the immediate future.

A beekeeper may be requested to remove a swarm if it is located outdoors and is accessible. Please note, however, that this is a voluntary service for which the beekeepers may require a contribution to their travelling costs.

However, if the swarm has already moved into a building (for example chimneys or airbricks) a beekeeper would not be able to retrieve them and the only means of removal would be destruction by a pest control operative.

To discuss any pest identification or to arrange a treatment please view our Fees and bookings page

I did have bees settle in an old tree stump in my garden a few Summers back, and I could see them coming and going all day long. However, as they weren't bothering me, I just left them alone. They weren't there the following year.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

Bees are amazing creatures and we should all try to encourage them and protect them, but they are not protected by law in the UK, although lots of people think they are. Rentokil and other pest control companies will deal with them, though it is obviously far better to see if they can be relocated by a qualified bee keeper first.
  • Options
    rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Tidosho said, a transformer from low voltage lighting, if you have any florescent lights then make sure they are all switched off and then have a listen at the wall, should be no more buzzing.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rds60h wrote: »
    As Tidosho said, a transformer from low voltage lighting, if you have any florescent lights then make sure they are all switched off and then have a listen at the wall, should be no more buzzing.

Ah this would explain the buzzing I hear. It does sound electrical, and I go around every night switching off plug sockets and lights. But it's in the party wall behind the bed, so must be next door buzzing. Drives me bonkers!

As for the wasp discussion. I kept getting wasps in the living room last summer, coming in through a vent. The buggers had built a best inside the wall. Blocked it off on the inside, and left them to it. They haven't been back this year so the vent is unblocked again.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    Ah this would explain the buzzing I hear. It does sound electrical, and I go around every night switching off plug sockets and lights. But it's in the party wall behind the bed, so must be next door buzzing. Drives me bonkers!

As for the wasp discussion. I kept getting wasps in the living room last summer, coming in through a vent. The buggers had built a best inside the wall. Blocked it off on the inside, and left them to it. They haven't been back this year so the vent is unblocked again.

It is not very likely that a transformer/power supply for a low voltage lighting system would be hidden in a wall. After all if/when it goes faulty you would have to hack a dirty great hole in the wall to get at the thing! They would more likely be located in a more accessible place like above the ceiling so you get at it by lifting a floor board upstairs or go into the loft to find it.

It could be a light fitting with built in transformer or maybe a mains socket with a built in USB charging port for mobile phones.

Thing is if it is audible enough to disturb you I wonder what it's like next door!
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    It is not very likely that a transformer/power supply for a low voltage lighting system would be hidden in a wall. After all if/when it goes faulty you would have to hack a dirty great hole in the wall to get at the thing! They would more likely be located in a more accessible place like above the ceiling so you get at it by lifting a floor board upstairs or go into the loft to find it.

It could be a light fitting with built in transformer or maybe a mains socket with a built in USB charging port for mobile phones.

Thing is if it is audible enough to disturb you I wonder what it's like next door!

Ah. We do have plug sockets on that wall, maybe they have too, and it's that that is bothering me.

It does only bother me though, I have sound sensitive migraines and it's torturous at times. And my partner can hardly hear a thing.
    We both have USB plugs, and they make the same noise as the one I hear from next door. Of course, I go around turning off every non vital socket in the house these days.

How crazy would I sound if I politely asked them to do the same? :p:D
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    There is a buzzing / humming sound in our hall whenever the light is on. Could be your wiring or your neighbours when one of their lights is on.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    Ah. We do have plug sockets on that wall, maybe they have too, and it's that that is bothering me.

It does only bother me though, I have sound sensitive migraines and it's torturous at times. And my partner can hardly hear a thing.
    We both have USB plugs, and they make the same noise as the one I hear from next door. Of course, I go around turning off every non vital socket in the house these days.

How crazy would I sound if I politely asked them to do the same? :p:D

It certainly appears to be electrical;…another suspect is a light dimmer switch;….do you have any?,….if you do, make sure the dimmer switch is ‘clicked off’ completely and not just turned down to its minimum setting.

When you hear the ‘buzzing’ in the wall get your partner to switch off your homes entire electrical supply at the mains. If the ‘buzzing’ subsides then the problem is in your house electrics, not your neighbours.

If the ‘buzzing’ persists then the problem may be in your neighbours home,…or something else, non-electrical, in your home.

Just a note of caution;…only switch off your mains electricity supply when you are confident it’s prudent and safe to do so.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps one of your female neighbors has been busy....;-)
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hear a noise like that and eventually realised it was our dog, snoring.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some of those, (how to put it), educational videos ;-) on t'interweb and the buzzing of certain "aids" seems to be accompanied by various other distinctive noises which I'm sure the OP would have noticed... :D
  • Options
    Sarah_Jones5Sarah_Jones5 Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try calling your local council as you may need a pest control officer we had one for a wasps nest last year it is a pay for call out service though.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

The council have been known to kill bees and wasps.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The council have been known to kill bees and wasps.

Ours have a wasps nest in the office and its massive, must be 3ft across they removed from somewhere but normally they'll try and get a bee keeper in to sort out the bee's as its cheaper than having to spray the nest....wasps just get nuked but most will turn up and have a look and tell you what the problem is.

Could also be a lose wire buried in the wall, most common when a neutral starts to melt due to it being too small for the load, could just be a chocblock with some tape over it etc.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    If it is an insect and they are behind concrete / plaster I wouldn't worry. I would only worry if they appeared in the room!
  • Options
    ProjectionistProjectionist Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Listening to the Beach boy's "Good vibrations" of course :)