Options

Recommendations on Netflix

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I am not a subscriber currently. When I browse the website there seems very little content. When you sign up do more things become available?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    gerry_4 wrote: »
    I am not a subscriber currently. When I browse the website there seems very little content. When you sign up do more things become available?

Netflix works by selecting things for you based on what you select as having previously watched and the rating you gave it. It's important to take the time, when you first join, to rate things you've seen, select your preferred genres, etc.

It's not very good for those of us that prefer to browse in the hope that we come across something that catches our eye. There are some websites out there that do list Netflix content in a more browsable form.

You can, of course, search for things by title, actor, and so on.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This website will give you a pretty good idea what is available on Netflix.
    http://www.moreflicks.com/
    I just recently signed up and am very happy with the service. There are quite a lot of movies and TV shows available, but of course the latest stuff is usually for the more expensive paid services or DVD first.

But using a service like Unblock-US or Overplay will give you access to all the international libraries.
    I personally use Overplay and are really happy with their service. I changed from the UK to US store today to see what other options were available and it was quite impressive for the amount Netflix charges.

Netflix on it's own is very good. But add something like Overplay's smartDNS (which also gives access to loads of other on-demand content around the world) turns it into a really great option for movies and TV shows.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Unblock-Us competition for current subscribers to win a years free subscription.
    http://is.gd/dpoQNi
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last season of Dexter is up on the Candian version of Netflix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    This website will give you a pretty good idea what is available on Netflix.
    http://www.moreflicks.com/
    I just recently signed up and am very happy with the service. There are quite a lot of movies and TV shows available, but of course the latest stuff is usually for the more expensive paid services or DVD first.

But using a service like Unblock-US or Overplay will give you access to all the international libraries.
    I personally use Overplay and are really happy with their service. I changed from the UK to US store today to see what other options were available and it was quite impressive for the amount Netflix charges.

Netflix on it's own is very good. But add something like Overplay's smartDNS (which also gives access to loads of other on-demand content around the world) turns it into a really great option for movies and TV shows.

I have Overplay for the Premier League live games but how do you changer regions for Netflix. The website seems a little none responsive on changes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    I have Overplay for the Premier League live games but how do you changer regions for Netflix. The website seems a little none responsive on changes.

It's part of the SmartDNS package. Overplay offers two main services, a full VPN (which includes SmartDNS) and just SmartDNS.

If you don't use SmartDNS, you need to set that up on the device you watch Netflix with. It is extremely easy, as you just need to add the two DNS addresses Overplay offer you, and then on the Overplay webpage, navigate to the SmartDNS tab and this will "link" your external IP address with Overplay (confirming your subscription)

It is on this same page that you will find the option to change your Netflix locale.

The great thing about this, is that you won't need to fire up the VPN each time you wish to use Netflix, and you can change the locale easily. You can also put those SmartDNS's from Overplay into many devices that VPN's won't easily work with, such as your SmartTV, Xbox, Roku, Apple TV etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's part of the SmartDNS package. Overplay offers two main services, a full VPN (which includes SmartDNS) and just SmartDNS.

If you don't use SmartDNS, you need to set that up on the device you watch Netflix with. It is extremely easy, as you just need to add the two DNS addresses Overplay offer you, and then on the Overplay webpage, navigate to the SmartDNS tab and this will "link" your external IP address with Overplay (confirming your subscription)

It is on this same page that you will find the option to change your Netflix locale.

The great thing about this, is that you won't need to fire up the VPN each time you wish to use Netflix, and you can change the locale easily. You can also put those SmartDNS's from Overplay into many devices that VPN's won't easily work with, such as your SmartTV, Xbox, Roku, Apple TV etc.

Great stuff. Thank you, I will try that later.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member

I am interested in this.

I am using a Roku LT and it isn't currently possible to change DNS settings on the device itself which means I am currently locked down to just UK Netflix.

I'm also unable to change DNS settings on my router as its running Sky Fibre's custom firmware.

I would love to be able to access US Netflix on my Roku but as of yet each method I've heard about is locked down. :(
  • Options
    EbanEban Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    I am interested in this.

I am using a Roku LT and it isn't currently possible to change DNS settings on the device itself which means I am currently locked down to just UK Netflix.

I'm also unable to change DNS settings on my router as its running Sky Fibre's custom firmware.

I would love to be able to access US Netflix on my Roku but as of yet each method I've heard about is locked down. :(

No matter what service you use, you won't be able to set up VPN or DNS on the Roku.
    Many routers don't have a default settings section for DNS but it can be setup via telnet. Do a google search with the model of your router.

Cheers!

-Eban
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I don't have a clue what it's like, but do intend to watch later.
    I've just seen on Mexico that they've got Spaceballs: The Animated Series :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very easy way to use a SmartDNS on the Roku would be via your Router. Many routers allow you to set up your own DNS addresses, I've done this on mine, so my Overplay's SmartDNS will work with pretty much any device in my network.

I don't have a Roku device yet, but I have been told it would work with this method.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A very easy way to use a SmartDNS on the Roku would be via your Router. Many routers allow you to set up your own DNS addresses, I've done this on mine, so my Overplay's SmartDNS will work with pretty much any device in my network.

I don't have a Roku device yet, but I have been told it would work with this method.

Yes it works with all devices since the DNS are in the router. BUT, some routers can't be set up, and some can but only with telnet command, which is more "complicated" to many people.
    Both Unblock-Us and Smartdns or any other DNS service work when you setup your router.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eban wrote: »
    Yes it works with all devices since the DNS are in the router. BUT, some routers can't be set up, and some can but only with telnet command, which is more "complicated" to many people.
    Both Unblock-Us and Smartdns or any other DNS service work when you setup your router.

Agreed. It does help to have a router which is easy to set up. I have it on my Fritzbox, which is pretty much too easy (I can log in on my iPad and just switch the SmartDNS on and off at will), but as you say, some routers are more complex or don't have this feature.

Overplay actually sell/link to preconfigured routers (via Flash Routers) for this very purpose if people don't want to do it themselves and they could possibly also work with unblock-us configs as well.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,061
    Forum Member
    Is the HD material on Netflix similar to HD quality on Freeview/Sky,. or is it of a lesser quality?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Is the HD material on Netflix similar to HD quality on Freeview/Sky,. or is it of a lesser quality?
    It is better in my opinion. It is 1080p has far as I know and on my TV it looks far superior to Sky and Freeview HD.
  • Options
    Manc-RedManc-Red Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use this service on my Samsung TV, it's a wonderful addition to my services - HD on it too is sensational.

The content quality is growing rapidly too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had some unusual issues with my Samsung TV and Netflix. Besides being the worse interface of the three I've tried, I noticed when watching a film the other day that it was very blury - most likely because it had bandwidth issues.

That said, I find this odd, since other apps with HD streams (such as the iPlayer) don't have this issue, and neither did Netflix on the other devices I use (ATV and iPad then Airplayed to the ATV)

Of the three, the best interface was of cause the iPad. It is always so easy to navigate and select shows to watch, then sending to the TV via Airplay (although it requires mirroring).

The ATV was the next best interface. Same high quality streams as the iPad, but with a pretty good UI minus of course any typing which is always a bit complex with a standard remote.

Finally, the Samsung TV's own app works OK. It's sluggish in comparison to the others, and is not so pretty, but it works. I'll try a few times again to see if I get the same issue of blurring.
  • Options
    pjayem1964pjayem1964 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Watched No Country For Old Men on Netflix Sweden.

English Audiotrack but no option of switching off subtitles which were Swedish, Danish, Norwegian & Finnish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, could you switch between the four languages above, but no way to switch off? Which device were you using?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pjayem1964 wrote: »
    Watched No Country For Old Men on Netflix Sweden.

English Audiotrack but no option of switching off subtitles which were Swedish, Danish, Norwegian & Finnish.

Depending on what device you use (and also the movie itself) you can't turn off the subtitles.
    Most of the time, you can disable subtitles on Netflix website but not on other devices.

-Eban
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what HW devices can switch off subtitles?
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Two more recent films added to Netflix Canada. Friends With kids which featured some of the cast of Bridesmaids and Piranha DD. Yes ok it may be rubbish but its still a more recent film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Two more recent films added to Netflix Canada. Friends With kids which featured some of the cast of Bridesmaids and Piranha DD. Yes ok it may be rubbish but its still a more recent film.

And The Hunger Games.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    The TV series Dollhouse!

All 27 episodes of this totally underrated and sublime show are on Netflix