Problem with Sanyo CE32LD33-B remote?

I have a Sanyo CE32LD33-B TV which is a few years old now, and up until a couple of days ago, I never had a problem with it.

Then suddenly, the remote control started working intermittently, or possibly more appropriate, the tv started responding to it intermittently.

I was pressing the buttons and it wasn't responding. Then sometimes it works perfectly for a bit, then just stops responding again.

I've tried changing the batteries and the problem remains.

The set itself still works with the control buttons on the side. Is it just a job of replacing the remote, or do you think it's anything else?

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be the remote control, could be the sensor on the TV begin hit and miss with picking up the signal from the remote control. I have a surround sound system which can no longer be controlled by its remote - and yet its remote can still control my TV, my DVD player, my CD player, my cassette deck and the radio in my stereo. So there's nothing wrong with the remote itself, just with the unit that the remote is designed to control.

If you have Sky, does your Sky remote work the TV okay or is that flaky also? If it works the TV okay, that suggests that there is nothing wrong with your telly so it is the remote which is at fault. If that struggles as well, then it is the TV which is at fault.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only have Freeview sadly. I could borrow a Sky remote from someone though and give it a shot. Shouldn't be a problem finding the code, hopefully!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sanyo CE32LD33-B TV which is a few years old now, and up until a couple of days ago, I never had a problem with it.

Then suddenly, the remote control started working intermittently, or possibly more appropriate, the tv started responding to it intermittently.

I was pressing the buttons and it wasn't responding. Then sometimes it works perfectly for a bit, then just stops responding again.

I've tried changing the batteries and the problem remains.

The set itself still works with the control buttons on the side. Is it just a job of replacing the remote, or do you think it's anything else?

Do you have any other remote controls lying around? I had a situation a while ago where the remote for my Humax PVR started playing silly beggars. In the end it turned out to be another remote that I had dumped a book on top of accidentally. The book was pressing one of the buttons flooding the place with infrared signals interfering with the Humax remote. Took the book off and all was well again.

But of course it could be any number of things. One thing to try is try and locate the remote sensor in the TV if you can (they are sometimes shown in the manual) and make sure it is not obstructed or dirty. Also try the remote up close and personal with the sensor. If that works then it could be the emitter in the remote or the sensor in the TV. The only way to be sure which is to substitute the remote.

A number of devices have multi function remotes these days, eg my Humax PVR and AV receiver as well as the usual suspects like Sky box remotes. If you have something like that and can find a suitable code for the TV, that would save splashing out on a new remote.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm.

I've got a computer connected to my TV and use it to watch iPlayer and Netflix on the big screen. I've recently bought an infrared keyboard and the problems started when roughly when I plugged in the bluetooth dongle that it works from.

The computer is turned off normally, unless I'm using it, but even though, could that dongle still affect the remote signal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, it's not that. Just tried it.

Worked for a bit so I though I'd sorted it, but back to normal.

Borrowing a Sky remote tomorrow. I'll see what happens then.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.

I've got a computer connected to my TV and use it to watch iPlayer and Netflix on the big screen. I've recently bought an infrared keyboard and the problems started when roughly when I plugged in the bluetooth dongle that it works from.

The computer is turned off normally, unless I'm using it, but even though, could that dongle still affect the remote signal?

Which is it - Infra red or Bluetooth? Bluetooth would not have any effect on infra red.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Which is it - Infra red or Bluetooth? Bluetooth would not have any effect on infra red.

Bluetooth sorry, I meant wireless, not infra red
  • gwillson75gwillson75 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    If you have a camera phone / webcam / digital camera you can use that to test that the remote is transmitting infrared.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=camera+infrared+test+remote+control
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's almost certainly the remote so just pick up a universal, you can get basic models very cheaply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It a universal one will work, a trip to Poundland it is then :)