Options

Question on Self-Assessment for casual Job anyone?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
Forum Member
Hi

I have been offered a job as a domestic cleaner for a few hours a week whereby the customer would pay me in cash, however because it is work via an agency I will need to declare/pay my contributions to HMRC, no experience of this as I have always worked for an employer and with being out of the world of work for 3 years whilst caring for my disabled son, my brain is rusty!
Can anyone advise how easy this is? and if they have any tips/advice to complete the necessary paperwork without stress as my life is quite chaotic as it is!!

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds a very strange arrangement that you are working through an agency but the customer is paying you in cash!

If the agency isn't actually putting you on their payroll they will not be reporting your income to HMRC, it sounds to me like they might be a bit dodgy anyway.

How much will you be earning on average? If it's only a few hours a week you will almost certainly not have to pay National Insurance (unless you elect to) and if your total taxable income from all sources doesn't exceed £10,000 you won't have to pay income tax.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This type of agency is quite common, they supply you with the work but you do it when the customer wants you to. The customer pays the agency a commission and pays the worker the hourly rate!

I don't understand how the agency makes much money, but I think the partners in the agency will do most of the work themselves but also get others to do the less profitable or one offs?

It is unlikely the tax man will ever know in answer to your question
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,965
    Forum Member
    It is unlikely HMRC will ever find out, but if they do you could be stung for a considerable amount. Considering the tiny amounts of tax and insurance you will pay anyway I'd be tempted to declare it.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The online self assessment process is fairly easy. Tell hmrc that you are self employed (also can be done online I think) and then you can put all your expenses against your income. I use a diary to note all my jobs and income and then keep all my receipts. I put it all on a spreadsheet and it usually takes me about an hour to do my assessment at the tax year end.