Options

Star Citizen

2»

Comments

• Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Citizen does look great and I'll look forward to playing it when it's released in about 5 years.

Until then I'll be playing Elite Dangerous which is excellent right now.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    Yes if you have a cheap or old PC now.
    SC at launch is aimed at high-end gaming PC's, mediocre PC's might struggle.

It's been a couple of years since I upgraded my PC but it's still up there.

Point is that Roberts has a history of creating games that just flat-out wouldn't run on any PC available at the time with all the settings maxed-out.
    Pundits are suggesting that's likely to be the case with SC too and, more disturbingly, they seem happy about this and are even suggesting it's a "good thing" cos it'll mean that, a few year later, when you finally do have a PC powerful enough to run it properly, it'll be a lovely nostalgic surprise.

That's bollocks.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Point is that Roberts has a history of creating games that just flat-out wouldn't run on any PC available at the time with all the settings maxed-out.
    Pundits are suggesting that's likely to be the case with SC too and, more disturbingly, they seem happy about this and are even suggesting it's a "good thing" cos it'll mean that, a few year later, when you finally do have a PC powerful enough to run it properly, it'll be a lovely nostalgic surprise.

That's bollocks.
    Something you're not realising is, that every game until recently has never been able to make all the decisions by the game designers themselves and Its the publishers who push games out early before they're ready enough. SC has no publisher.

Other than delays which are justifiable given the increased quality of in-game footage we've seen lately, this alpha is coming along quite nicely considering what was shown off at gamescom last week and whats to come within the next couple of months.

Its funny how some people don't mind increased delays because it will allow for the game to be better, yet push comes to shove its a case of "this game won't be released for another 5 years" - just because there's no publisher to blame.

To quote a new thread on the SC forums which is how I feel about the game now:
    I've been blown away over the last week.
    All of my initial fears and concerns (e.g. 6DOF, scope too big, real progress) have been not just answered over the last week, but smacked out of the park.
    I'm so happy with the state of SC right now, and so excited for the future.

Keep doing what you're doing, because believe me, there are a great many of us who are really enjoying the whole experience, and can't wait for the future. I don't regret a single penny pledged.

'in the verse!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people see the game as collecting all the space ships as the motivation to continue playing. As long as there is still a space ship that hasn't been collect yet, there is still a reason to play. Once all the space ships are collected then, essentially, the game is complete. There is no further motivation to play.

I suppose this philosophy can lead to the view that pre-buying all the space ships will defeat the purpose of playing the game or even cheat the motivation to play by advancing the game to an artificially completed state.

However, some people view the buying of space ships as enabling greater varieties of opportunity to experience the game in different ways. Instead of having to first work to achieve a per-requisite resource before exploring a facet of gameplay, the opportunity is made immediately available. Collecting space ships isn't the end of the game, it's the beginning of it.

Either way, a lack of space ships is a challenge. Some players see it as a positive and inspiring thing, others may view it as a hurdle that has to first be crossed before the real game begins.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The_One wrote: »
    Something you're not realising is, that every game until recently has never been able to make all the decisions by the game designers themselves and Its the publishers who push games out early before they're ready enough. SC has no publisher.

Other than delays which are justifiable given the increased quality of in-game footage we've seen lately, this alpha is coming along quite nicely considering what was shown off at gamescom last week and whats to come within the next couple of months.

Its funny how some people don't mind increased delays because it will allow for the game to be better, yet push comes to shove its a case of "this game won't be released for another 5 years" - just because there's no publisher to blame.

To quote a new thread on the SC forums which is how I feel about the game now:

Ummm,

Not really sure how any of that relates to my post.

I was simply saying that it's silly to praise a game designer for creating a game that won't run optimally on any current PC and attempting to justify it by saying "It's great to go back to the game, a couple of years later, when you HAVE got a suitable PC, and discover how marvellous it was" is cobblers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Ummm,

Not really sure how any of that relates to my post.

I was simply saying that it's silly to praise a game designer for creating a game that won't run optimally on any current PC and attempting to justify it by saying "It's great to go back to the game, a couple of years later, when you HAVE got a suitable PC, and discover how marvellous it was" is cobblers.
    Your post said Chris Roberts was known for putting out games that are not optimised very well (which PC game ever is at release?). If he had more time to optimise his previous games then they wouldn't of been laggy as much.
    Hence why I said SC has no publisher. When SC PU is released it will probably run pretty much stable at minimum 50+ FPS on high-end PC's.

Though you're the first person I've read who has made a negative comment about Chris Roberts previous games. All I've heard is how awesome his games were, he seems to have a pretty strong following from those games. Not me, I was playing on my SNES and Age of Empires series when his games came out.