Options

Will the Robot of Sherwood beheading scene be on the S8 DVD in November?

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm hoping that the BBC re-insert the scene into the episode once the complete Series 8 DVD box-set is released in November.

I would so like to see that. :D

At the moment, I don't know if anyone else thinks this, but I'm classing it as a deleted scene. One that has been filmed for the story/episode, but is in the end, left out, for whatever reason.

Is there anyone else that is hoping the scene is in the episode on DVD in November?

Also, is there any way online, that I can see the scene? I tried YouTube, but to no avail. :(There are clips saying about the cut, but nothing more. :(

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I would guess that they wouldn't wan't a situation where there were 2 official versions of the same episode, so I personally think the episode on the dvd will be exactly as we saw it on screen and the scene in question will just be a deleted scene on the dvd extras
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine the full episode will appear on dvd. They did something similar with the empty child and reinserted the skull cracking noise on the dvd after removing it for the bbc1 transmission. Be very strange if the transmitted episode was used for the dvd although i agree with the reasons for cutting it for television.The real answer is I don't know.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting situation, I would like to see it on the DVD/BluRay even if its there as a deleted scene only, although reinstatement into the episode would be OK.

Having now seen the clip from the leaked episode (which I cant share a link to as its against forum rules), even though I actually only saw it after the episode aired, I dont quite know what to make of it. Its obviously designed to fit into the episode, but it seemed a bit awkward, maybe because I was watching it separately from the episode I dont know? Clara's reaction is unusual too!
    I think it would work OK seeing it as a deleted scene, but it would be even better if they could allow you to play the episode with and without the scene, with the version excluding it as the main version?
    What do people think of having two versions of the episode on the disk?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing the deleted scene was one of the Robot men being beheaded?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having watched it (and there is/was a link in a thread about it), it makes one aspect of the story a lot clearer. Plus its done in such a silly swift way,with a comical aftermath someone would have to try hard to be offended.
    So I would hope its reinstated.
  • Options
    KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    The shooting scene that was edited out of the TV movie was back when it was released, so I think it will be back.
  • Options
    StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard that it's been taken out of the iTunes release.

Increasingly it seems like that in the long run the BBC are going to treat that scene as if it never happened.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the deleted scene was one of the Robot men being beheaded?

A particular (part) robot man.
  • Options
    ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    A particular (part) robot man.

Presumably the sheriff, which I am only guessing based on the fact that no one reacted when he fell into a bath of molten gold, which lets be honest is quite a shocking death. Not to mention the fact that he (it?) had a deactivate device for the robots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ukgnome wrote: »
    Presumably the sheriff, which I am only guessing based on the fact that no one reacted when he fell into a bath of molten gold, which lets be honest is quite a shocking death. Not to mention the fact that he (it?) had a deactivate device for the robots.

Yes that's right the Sheriff was a robot probably like the ones in deep breath or it seems that way anyway.
    Moffat has been clever in expanding the robot story that started life in 'The Girl in the Fireplace', and adding new elements like them trying to reach this Promised Land'/'Heaven' place.
    I wonder how many ships there are?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode makes little sense without the scene. In the broadcast version the Sheriff refers to himself as 'the first of a new breed, part man, part engine', and it's impossible to understand where that came from if you don't see the cut footage which reveals that he's a cyborg.

It's also a rather sloppy edit, so I'll be quite disappointed if the scene isn't put back in. The edit is a capitulation to circumstances at this particular time, but those circumstances will not continue forever.
  • Options
    sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched family guy and it had a beheading scene. Double standards ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched family guy and it had a beheading scene. Double standards ?

Was that hidden away on BBC 3 late at night though? I would say so, which means after the watershead and so on and so forth!

Doctor Who was shown early evening prime time on a Saturday night before the watershead and so accessible to anyone including kids.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be honest a beheading scene, whether on camera or implied is probably not the best thing to have in a show right now, especially when that show is distributed to the US
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Ignoring any personal feelings about the decision to cut/edit that scene - it would be wrong to release the DVD with a different version to the broadcast one if only in terms of maintaining "canon". The TV episode established a specific series of events and those have to stand now.

As others have said, it could appear as a "deleted scene".
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Ignoring any personal feelings about the decision to cut/edit that scene - it would be wrong to release the DVD with a different version to the broadcast one if only in terms of maintaining "canon". The TV episode established a specific series of events and those have to stand now.

This.

Also, imagine the backlash in the less BBC-friendly tabloids about "making Doctor Who's young fans pay £40-odd to see the full episode". Not worth the hassle for something that the majority of viewers are almost certainly unaware of anyway.

Stick it on as a deleted scene, maybe have one of the options DVDs sometimes do where you can insert all deleted scenes back in, but don't have it as part of the "real" episode.
  • Options
    sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Was that hidden away on BBC 3 late at night though? I would say so, which means after the watershead and so on and so forth!

Doctor Who was shown early evening prime time on a Saturday night before the watershead and so accessible to anyone including kids.

But the scene wasn't deleted due to upsetting kids. The scene is quite humorous and was deleted due to events in the news.
  • Options
    nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    But the scene wasn't deleted due to upsetting kids. The scene is quite humorous and was deleted due to events in the news.

I dunno, I thought it was quite 'glib' and Clara's triumphant 'yes!' (iirc) was a bit 'clumsy' full stop.

I thought they did the right thing to cut it (even though it hurt the episode rather).
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Having now seen the scene (thank you Corwin!) I'm actually a bit surprised that it was cut. Its not so much someone being beheaded as
    a robot having his head knocked off in a comical fashion.

I do wonder what the BBC would have done if a similar situation had occurred when 'A good Man Goes to War' had been broadcast.

Whole chunks of the episode were about the Headless Monks, and Dorium was actually properly beheaded. They would have had to postpone the entire episode, surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Forget the bit about kids then, Doctor Who is on BBC 1 in primetime on Saturday night and Family Guy is on late on BBC 3 on a Monday night there is a big difference in exposure of the two different programs!
    The Doctor Who clip would have got a lot of press due to the exposure at that time and that day and on BBC 1, whereas Family Guy wouldnt likely get that being placed where it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Having now seen the scene (thank you Corwin!) I'm actually a bit surprised that it was cut. Its not so much someone being beheaded as
    a robot having his head knocked off in a comical fashion.

I do wonder what the BBC would have done if a similar situation had occurred when 'A good Man Goes to War' had been broadcast.

Whole chunks of the episode were about the Headless Monks, and Dorium was actually properly beheaded. They would have had to postpone the entire episode, surely.

Thats a good point about 'A Good Man Goes to War' the whole thing wouldnt have followed at all without the headless monks and Dorium's beheading!
    TBH though you dont actually see Dorium getting beheaded though!
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no reason for the scene not to be included on the DVD, and I'm sure it will be. It's hardly a graphic scene or anything, it's played for laughs mostly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no reason for the scene not to be included on the DVD, and I'm sure it will be. It's hardly a graphic scene or anything, it's played for laughs mostly.
    Exactly - and the hero of the story beheads someone he believes to be human!

We're still talking about the Doctor strangling his companion in what, 1984? I reckon we could get another thirty years out of "The Doctor and his companion help Robin Hood slash the head off a famous mythical figure." He recovers, yes, and the Sheriff's not a nice man anyway - but they thought he was human, and Clara just cheers! That's brutal, and even with his edgy new face, I'm certain that's not who this Doctor is.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They should have left Graham Norton's voice on Rose. It's canon