Options

New tax

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey guys,

I just need to clarify - my car tax is due 31/10/14.
I do everything I've done previous years - wait for the reminder, take that, proof of insurance and MOT cert. to post office, the only thing difference is that they won't give me a physical tax disc?

Comments

• Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even think you need proof of insurance any more as they can check it without your certificate.

To be honest if you're able to it's easier just to do it online using the reminder.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wait and see what it says on your reminder
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wait and see what it says on your reminder

Same day as me
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My road fund renewal is due on 30/9., and I have just looked at it,

You will need to take your Mot and Insurance, and the reminder to the PO as usual, I always renew mine on line, MOT and insurance are checked automatically, and in previous years the tax disc has arrived within a week.

So the only difference now is no Tax Disc. Bit more complicated if you are selling a car though.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    You can do your car tax online now, I haven't done mine at a post office for several years.

I've just done my own, actually. The old one expires on 30th September so I won't be issued with a new tax disc, so the information on the reminder and online application informs me.

If taxing online don't pay with a credit card, they charge you a few pounds extra. Debit card is fine.

Edit.............There's no requirement to display a tax disc after 1st October 2014, even if it's still current. You can throw it away, unless, like myself, you want to keep the last tax disc your car ever had. (I keep everything!)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why bother with the rigmarole of going to the Post Office? Just do it online. I think they said you can set up a direct debit with the new system so even less hassle.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    People still use the post office to tax cars?
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame you can't get an MOT on-line! :)
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I just need to clarify - my car tax is due 31/10/14.
    I do everything I've done previous years - wait for the reminder, take that, proof of insurance and MOT cert. to post office, the only thing difference is that they won't give me a physical tax disc?

That is correct. The DVLA has already run out of perforated tax discs.

Although it is so easy to renew online (unless you need to pay cash). The insurance and MOT details are checked by the DVLA online while you apply.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »

You will need to take your Mot and Insurance, and the reminder to the PO as usual, I always renew mine on line, MOT and insurance are checked automatically, and in previous years the tax disc has arrived within a week.

So the only difference now is no Tax Disc. Bit more complicated if you are selling a car though.

They scrapped the need to take proof of insurance last December.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2520649/Need-insurance-certificate-buy-car-tax-axed.html

I just taxed a motorcycle I bought a week ago and only took my V5 slip and the MOT certificate. The only reason I went to the post office is because I'd just bought it so didn't have the logbook or reminder.
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Whine wrote: »

Apologies, Steve is right, I just re read my form..
    Only MOT and renewal notice needed now.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Shame you can't get an MOT on-line! :)
    I got one that was issued on a phone call many years ago.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I got one that was issued on a phone call many years ago.
    I've heard that some people get them while they're at the pub. How convenient. Seems to one bloke doing the whole country though - goes by the name of Bob :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im going to miss my tax disc........its part of the car:(