This Is What An Independent Scotland Has To Offer

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    Dutchie and her parents live and work here and contribute to the ecomomy. Her children and husband are Scottish.

The Scot living in England or wherever won't be affected by our vote. They have chosen to leave.

The whole of the UK will be affected if Scotland goes it alone.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    You are entitled to all the oil you discover. Existing Oil revenue belongs to the UK, just like the debt belongs to the UK

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/oxford-economist-cautions-against-north-sea-oil-grab.24053615

There is no rule regarding natural resources. If you can seize it and defend it, you own it.
    I said on another forum Scotland should make a pact with a country that could defend it's oil interests in the event of succession. Hope Salmond has his bases covered on this issue.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    You mean like the vast amounts of oil that Hesletine banned us from using due to trident being in the way?

http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/politics/tories-blocked-oil-boom-in-the-clyde-heseltine-admits-1.446273

It's our oil & rUK has wasted the money gained from it.

Yep that's ours too - on the plus side we might pay you to dig it out once trident is safely in the US :D
    hume wrote: »
    There is no rule regarding natural resources. If you can seize it and defend it, you own it.
    I said on another forum Scotland should make a pact with a country that could defend it's oil interests in the event of succession. Hope Salmond has his bases covered on this issue.

There are several Russians in Scotland - and soon no nukes. I'm sure he'll find one friend willing to "protect him"
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Scottish Nationalists do make me laugh. Talking like Scotland will be as big and powerful as the USA or China if it gets independence.

England isn't your enemy you know.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh behave....lol :D
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES = a vote of hope triumphing over fear :)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that this could be the last night of the union jack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Then Scotland should be made to pay back all the UK money spent on building oil rigs etc.

That's not true actually, youll find its mainly Norwegian/Danish
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are entitled to all the oil you discover. Existing Oil revenue belongs to the UK, just like the debt belongs to the UK

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/oxford-economist-cautions-against-north-sea-oil-grab.24053615

Everything else - is up to negotiation - hey take on 100% of the debt and have 100% of the oil :D

Scotland funding their share of the debt will cost twice their oil revenue. Watch Salmond do a runner frem the debt but then he has to establish a new currency. Add to that a dreadful credit rating after such an act and he's sunk. Entry into the EU is unlikely and any decision will take years. Establishing a new currency is a very fragile place to be right across the financial spectrum. He wants to keep sterling, wants his cake and eat it. That is far from being independent, still under the rule of the UK with little power. The Bank of England has said no already and understandably. Running amok with a sterling credit card won't be sanctioned. It's a mess.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are several Russians in Scotland - and soon no nukes. I'm sure he'll find one friend willing to "protect him"

Doubt it. Unless that Russian wants to face even more sanctions, and also the EU will then never consider Scotland as a member, and possibly even increase import/export taxes.

Swings and roundabouts.

There's a lot of racist Scots up there. I kind of hope they will get independence because if they don't and judging by their violence against recent NO campaigners... could be Ukraine all over again, UK steps in to try calm the situation, Russia sends troops to help Scotland, Argentina see's this as a good time to take the Falklands, ISIS plots Ebola suicide attacks, World War 3 erupts lol, Scotland... its in their blood, and they want to run their own country, haha, suuuure...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    YES = a vote of hope triumphing over fear :)

Or not :p
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member

It a well known fact that most of Westminster spending is in London & the south east of England.

It's also a well known fact that there are 3 times as many people in a London and the southeast than in Scotland. A lesser known fact that only London, the southeast and Aberdeen are financially self supporting in the whole of UK. Perhaps I should start an independence campaign. The principality of Surrey. We could have Harry, he needs a job. He needs a wife too, and my daughter fancies the pants off him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    Doubt it. Unless that Russian wants to face even more sanctions, and also the EU will then never consider Scotland as a member, and possibly even increase import/export taxes.

Swings and roundabouts.

There's a lot of racist Scots up there. I kind of hope they will get independence because if they don't and judging by their violence against recent NO campaigners... could be Ukraine all over again, UK steps in to try calm the situation, Russia sends troops to help Scotland, Argentina see's this as a good time to take the Falklands, ISIS plots Ebola suicide attacks, World War 3 erupts lol, Scotland... its in their blood, and they want to run their own country, haha, suuuure...

That all sounds quite exciting tbf *votes yes*
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trajet wrote: »
    Scotland has only 8.3% of the UK’s population.
    Remember this important figure... 8.3%.

But we DO have...

32% of the land area.
    61% of the sea area.
    90% of the fresh water.
    65% of the natural gas production.
    96.5% of the crude oil production.
    47% of the open cast coal production.
    81% of the untapped coal reserves.
    62% of the timber production.
    46% of the total forest area.
    92% of the hydro electric production.
    40% of the wind wave and solar energy production.
    60% of the fish landings.
    30% of the beef herd.
    20% of the sheep herd.
    9% of the dairy herd.
    10% of the pig herd.
    15% if the cereal holdings.
    20% of the potato holdings.
    ...obviously 100% of the Scotch Whisky industry.

We have a...
    17 billion pound construction industry.
    13 billion pound food and drink industry.
    10 billion pound business services industry.
    9.3 billion pound chemical services industry.
    A 9.3 billion pound tourism industry.
    7 billion pound financial services industry.
    5 billion pound aeroservice industry.
    4.5 billion pound whisky exports industry.
    3.1 billion pound life sciences industry.
    Scotland still has 350 million pounds worth of textile exports.

We have 25% of Europe’s wave and wind energy potential.

And finally we are blessed to have 1.5 Trillion pounds worth of oil and gas reserves.

All of this, yet only 8.3% of The UK’s population... Wow, Scotland should be rich!

IGNORANCE...
    If you hear anyone saying “I DON'T LIKE ALEX SALMOND” or “I DON'T LIKE SNP”...
    THIS VOTE IS ABOUT SCOTLAND'S RIGHT TO ELECT ITS OWN GOVERNMENT... IT HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH ALEX SALMOND OR THE SNP.
    DON'T LET POLITICAL IGNORANCE RUIN THIS OPPORTUNITY.

Do you know... This is the UK’s legacy of success in our history of being “better-together”...

The UK has the 3rd lowest pensions in the 34 OECD countries of the world.

The UK has the single most expensive childcare in the European Union.

The UK has the second lowest-paid economy in the entire developed world.

The UK has the 3rd longest working hours in the EU.

The UK has the lowest number of holidays in the EU.

The UK has the 8th highest gender inequality pay gap out of the EU’s 28 countries.

The UK has the highest likelihood of poverty in disablement in the EU.

The UK has the highest rail prices in Europe.

The UK has the second highest housing cost in Europe.

The UK has the highest fuel poverty rates in Europe.

The UK is the 4th highest country of wealth inequality in the entire planet!

Now, finally, did you also know that in ALL of the UK’s elections for Westminster that there has ever been, not one vote cast in SCOTLAND has ever mattered! Because of the Westminster numbers, whatever government England votes for, the UK gets. So we have NO DEMOCRACY here!!! 4 decades of Tory rule that we voted against is proof enough, and our defiance was punished by the closure of all the mines; closure of all the steelworks; closure of all the shipyards losing hundreds of thousands of jobs. The term used by Westminster’s Thatcher when these industries needed some assistance was “let the markets decide”. Funny how when the greedy bankers collapsed everywhere they were bailed out to the tune of over a Trillion pounds of our money... Not a mention of “let the markets decide”.

FACTS:
    Fact: Scotland has an oil boom waiting to happen on the West Coast, but Michael Hesaltine signed a cessation of any form of oil exploration in the entire area in the 80's to make way for nuclear submarines which Scotland doesn’t need or want!

Fact: Scotland has shown its revulsion time and time again to nuclear weapons but they place them here against Scotland’s wishes. A recent contingency report was carried out about the feasibility of relocating them in Portsmouth. The report stated that it was unfeasible because the detrimental risk to the area of an incident was too high. (But its ok for the Clyde though).

Fact: Scotland, with only 1 Tory MP, was forced to take the shocking attack on the poor & disabled called The Bedroom Tax, even though as our nation’s government, Holyrood voted to utterly reject this awful tax on the poor. Westminster gave us it anyway!

Fact: We are led to believe that the oil in our waters is finished and its a dying industry. Yet 13.5 billion has been invested by oil companies in the last 2 years alone!

Fact: The Clair Oil Field is about to open, and on its own has over 650 million barrels which will be extracted over 20+ years with production reaching a hundred thousand barrels a day!

Fact: Scotland gives more to Westminster than it gets back. Do you really think they’d be so keen to keep us if we were being subsidised like they’d have us believe?

Fact: Westminster has amassed over £1.3 Trillion debt and still growing at nearly £6000 a second. That’s another £516 million today alone which YOU will have to pay for.

Fact: Of the 178 countries that have gained their own independence across this planet, not one single one of them has ever asked to reverse this independence, and very few of them have the assets we have.

SCOTLAND, WHAT ARE WE SCARED OF? WE HAVE A CHANCE... WITHOUT A SINGLE BULLET BEING FIRED, WITHOUT A SINGLE PERSON'S DEATH... TO GET OUR FREEDOM AND INDEPENDENCE. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PUT A CROSS IN THE YES BOX.

The majority of all this built up under UK investment and working together, what a success. Will you be able to continue to be as successful alone and without being part of one of the most successful unions of all time?

So you're argument is you're a great success, fantastic... and now you want to put all that at risk?
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    We could have Harry, he needs a job. He needs a wife too, and my daughter fancies the pants off him.

I'm not a fan of the royals in general but I do like Harry, he seems to a be a bit more down to earth & actually has a personality, I'm sure he would make a good husband for your daughter :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean like the vast amounts of oil that Hesletine banned us from using due to trident being in the way?

http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/politics/tories-blocked-oil-boom-in-the-clyde-heseltine-admits-1.446273

It's our oil & rUK has wasted the money gained from it.

The comment section in that article is well worth reading. The bit about Aberdeen having more jobs than people on the dole was something that caught my attention.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    The comment section in that article is well worth reading. The bit about Aberdeen having more jobs than people on the dole was something that caught my attention.

Totally agree, there is many great comments on there but this one stood out to me.
    The reality of the Oil industry in Aberdeen is that there is almost no unemployment in either the city or the surrounding countryside. Compare that with Glasgow and surrounds. Glasgow has been deindustrialised for decades. One ship builder left yet there has never been more ships built globally? All governments subsidise their ship building industries so what happened on the Clyde was not inevitable but deliberate destruction of a skilled workforce.

An oil industry on the Clyde would be a massive boost for Glasgow and the wider area, yet instead of pumping out billions of pounds worth of black gold, we are pumping billions of pounds into a weapon that is illegal and immoral and can only be used if America says so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree, there is many great comments on there but this one stood out to me.

I saw a film or a comedy sketch which illustrated the uselessness of trident. There were two people discussing a scenario in which trident might be used. A hypothetical Russia attacks Britain scenario is used. At no point during a proposed Russian invasion would we use trident for fear Russia would use it's own nukes and annihilate us.

This for me sums up the No campaign, even though he's talking about Lord Heseltine
    Not only that Stuart, here is the Tory mindset writ large. It's almost as if he's saying "How dare you ask me about the choice between nukes and jobs on the Clyde, I don't care about 300,000 jobs in shipbuilding, I had a seat at the top table of NATO and that's all that matters you silly little man". The levels of condescension from these people is breath-taking.

Kindest regards,

David Milligan Lvss