In Law Help Please

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

I really need some help please.

I love my boyfriend very much. We are buying a house together and I can't wait to live with him.

HOWEVER. His mother is very interfering and my boyfriend always takes her side. It's always about what they want.

I've dealt with the whole house thing: mortgage, solicitors, everything. It's been rather stressful and everytime something went wrong I would get shouted at. It was never my fault but I took the blame anyway. And when I got upset I was told to grow up and stop being petty.

I work in a hospital, I have patients in my office all the time so I can't use my phone a lot but I get 50 calls a day of someone asking me to do thing but I'm always busy with my work but if it isn't done instantly I get in trouble.

Then I got told I'm childish, pathetic, selfish and rude.

Not to blow my own trumpet but I work in a top hospital and have awards for my people skills and stuff. I also do a lot of charity work and have awards for that too. I'm a kind girl, I lost my brother on my birthday this year but nobody seems to care that it affects me.

I'm scared because my new house is quite far away from my family and very near his. I'm scared everything will always be my fault and I'll never do anything right.

Comments

• DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I really need some help please.

I love my boyfriend very much. We are buying a house together and I can't wait to live with him.

HOWEVER. His mother is very interfering and my boyfriend always takes her side. It's always about what they want.

I've dealt with the whole house thing: mortgage, solicitors, everything. It's been rather stressful and everytime something went wrong I would get shouted at. It was never my fault but I took the blame anyway. And when I got upset I was told to grow up and stop being petty.

I work in a hospital, I have patients in my office all the time so I can't use my phone a lot but I get 50 calls a day of someone asking me to do thing but I'm always busy with my work but if it isn't done instantly I get in trouble.

Then I got told I'm childish, pathetic, selfish and rude.

Not to blow my own trumpet but I work in a top hospital and have awards for my people skills and stuff. I also do a lot of charity work and have awards for that too. I'm a kind girl, I lost my brother on my birthday this year but nobody seems to care that it affects me.

I'm scared because my new house is quite far away from my family and very near his. I'm scared everything will always be my fault and I'll never do anything right.

SO what advice are you looking for?
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Is it your boyfriend blaming you (childish, pathetic, selfish and rude etc)? Or his mother?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it your boyfriend blaming you (childish, pathetic, selfish and rude etc)? Or his mother?

His mum says it and because he and his brothers are so up her bum, he believes her and says it as well.

I would just like someone to help me with coping stategies please? I'm sure I'm not the only one with difficult in laws, I was wondering how others cope
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your problem isn't your in laws it is that your partner agrees wtiht them and backs them.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you want to want to move in with this spineless guy.

Get a reality check, its not going to get any better and wait till you have kids, its will be 10x worse
  • brycazbrycaz Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=LondonGirl25;52272031]His mum says it and because he and his brothers are so up her bum, he believes her and says it as well.

I would just like someone to help me with coping stategies please? I'm sure I'm not the only one with difficult in laws, I was wondering how others cope[/QUOTE]

I wish I could help you cope with this but my experience with my mother-in-law couldn't be more different.:)

Someone once told me that when you marry or commit to someone, your wife/partner comes first and then your family. Your partner is not sticking up for you, he is letting his mother belittle and degrade you. Perhaps you need talking this through with him and if he can't or won't tell his mother to back off or where to go then I think you need to re-evaluate your relationship. Certainly before you've bought the house!
  • timewarpbunnytimewarpbunny Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    My husbands dad and step mum HATED me with a passion. Despite the fact we are married and have children together. So my husband cut off contact with them until they grew up. It took 5 years and we are now on speaking terms with his dad. My husband took my side though. I think your OH needs to grow a pair or you will always come second.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should think very carefully about whether you're doing the right thing by moving in with your boyfriend. If he's not very supportive now I doubt he will get any better when you live closer to his family. Who's shouting at you? Him? or his family?

I'm not sure it's thw inlaws that are the problem here. Your boyfriend should be on your side - especially if you're moving in and looking at a long-term relationship together.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. You sound like you're having a difficult time all round.

Have you spoken to your boyfriend about how worried you are?
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your problem isn't your in laws it is that your partner agrees wtiht them and backs them.
    Yes, indeed. The partner shouldn't back the person who is being unreasonable and should try to see your point of view. Is there anyway you can note down some examples and talk him through it on your own with him, asking him what he would do, if it was the other way around? Are the in-laws paying for anything? (And don't take the blame for something unless it is your fault, in future, I'd say, because it can be held against you by the unscrupulous. You need to let at least him know that you're not prepared to be treated like that.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His mum says it and because he and his brothers are so up her bum, he believes her and says it as well.I would just like someone to help me with coping stategies please? I'm sure I'm not the only one with difficult in laws, I was wondering how others cope

I know what I would do and I see nothing endearing about a man who ill treats you like that .My OH would crawl over fire for me and I for him and he would never ever abuse me like that .You need to see it as such in my opinion , its not good enough
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Mummy's boys and their testicles tied to the apron strings do not make a good relationship.
  • EyeOfTheStormEyeOfTheStorm Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to give this guy the elbow or you will always play second fiddle to his mummy.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    may sound rude but you need to grow a pair and stand up to his mother and to him and if he doesnt change his ways walk away he doesnt sound much of a catch
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

why? he sounds dreadful and this is supposed to be the fun part
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    His mum says it and because he and his brothers are so up her bum, he believes her and says it as well.

I would just like someone to help me with coping stategies please? I'm sure I'm not the only one with difficult in laws, I was wondering how others cope
    So why do you love someone that treats you like that and calls you such things?
    Why do you want to cope with it? You shouldn't have to. It's one thing having a pain the backside MiL, it's another when your partner backs her over you. If he does that now, he won't change when you move in together. Do you want to live your future like this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thank you very much for all your comments, I apprectiate them.

I just had my lunch break and I rang my boyfriend and told him enough is enough. If we are buying a house then it is time to snap the apron strings and realise that as his girlfriend my feelings take precedent. I said if I am genuinely in the wrong then he can point it out but when I'm am working my bum off and being shouted at for no reason then I will not take it.

My dad paid for half the deposit and his mum paid the other half. We pay everything else 50:50 between us, which means everything is equal. I told him I won't be treated like an idiot and if he believes his mum then we should call it quits now.

I got a sincere apology and a pledge to take what I said on board and not allow me to be treated this way.

It also helps that my MIL tried to call my mortgage broker and the broker turned around and gave her what for and told her to back off and leave me to it because I'm doing a good job.

So your advice helped me a lot, Thank you very very much
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do you love someone that treats you like that and calls you such things?
    Why do you want to cope with it? You shouldn't have to. It's one thing having a pain the backside MiL, it's another when your partner backs her over you. If he does that now, he won't change when you move in together. Do you want to live your future like this?

It will probably be worse with this interfering nag at his side.

OP pull out of this house purchase until he grows a pair and tell his mother where to go. Your relationship is doomed otherwise.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in an hour and a half all the OP's problems are solved and it's all sorted? I........ don't.........think.........so........something not right here methinks.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask why, presumably as a joint decision, you're buying a house much nearer his relatives than yours? What sort of distances are involved? And how does the location relate to the distances from your workplaces?

Speaking from bitter experience, I think it's a fatal mistake to live too close to his relatives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MIL problems can be a nightmare and she wont stop until HE grows and pair and puts his foot down. If he is not capable of doing that then I think you should rethink the whole thing. It doesn't matter how much you love someone if their family is going to make your lives a misery. I am sure you are already wondering if he is the man you want him to be?

You have had the talk, now lets see if it is followed up by some action. My OH had to do the same with his mum and once she realised she was not going to divide and rule she calmed down considerably.

I am so sorry to hear about your brother and on your birthday. That is just so sad. ((((hugs)))
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in an hour and a half all the OP's problems are solved and it's all sorted? I........ don't.........think.........so........

hmm i sort of thought that too

why, if it was that easy, didnt you say something before now OP?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mummy's boys and their testicles tied to the apron strings do not make a good relationship.

I like this post very much. It is SOOOOO true!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MIL problems can be a nightmare and she wont stop until HE grows and pair and puts his foot down. If he is not capable of doing that then I think you should rethink the whole thing. It doesn't matter how much you love someone if their family is going to make your lives a misery. I am sure you are already wondering if he is the man you want him to be?

You have had the talk, now lets see if it is followed up by some action. My OH had to do the same with his mum and once she realised she was not going to divide and rule she calmed down considerably.

I am so sorry to hear about your brother and on your birthday. That is just so sad. ((((hugs)))

Thank you very much, I appreciate that. Life without my brother is really hard because he was one of the people I would talk to about things and obviously my family is very raw and upset so I don't want to bother them all the time so I'm a bit lonely.

I've spoken to him and hopefully he will talk to her. I'm hopeful that once I am in our own house she won't be able to get to him as much because she won't see him every day. I don't want him to cut his mum out or anything, I would just like to be respected as the woman in his life. I'm a good girl and I would like to be treated that way, not made to feel like a terrible person.

I have my fingers crossed.

P.S we are buying a house nearer his family because houses are cheaper and it is an easier commute to work for both of us!
  • brycazbrycaz Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I got a sincere apology and a pledge to take what I said on board and not allow me to be treated this way.

Perhaps you should put off buying a house together until he's proved to you that he will stop his mother's bad behaviour towards you. Afterall, actions speak louder than words.

Just wondering how his mother treats his brothers' partners?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brycaz wrote: »
    Perhaps you should put off buying a house together until he's proved to you that he will stop his mother's bad behaviour towards you. Afterall, actions speak louder than words.

Just wondering how his mother treats his brothers' partners?

Well his older brother has just this week left his wife of two years. He always told me he thought his wife was perfect but after his mum pointed out the things she doesnt like about her, all of a sudden they are having major problems.

And his younger brother doesn't really talk to his mum much after she told him she doesn't think he and his girlfriend will last.

I love my boyfriend and I want to be with him but the thought of being in a constant battle and always losing is too much for me, especially after what i have already been through