New iPads - 22nd of October

Comments

• linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two different articles:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/01/peak_apple_new_ipad_launch_was_a_load_of_hot_air/

And

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2483192/iPad-Air-release-sees-hundreds-queue-Apple-fever-hits-more.html?ico=sciencetech%5Eheadlines

One saying large queues one saying small. That said its much easier get a hold of one in retailers unlike with iPhones were shops hold back for contract buyers.

Ipad 3 was never a queue from memory yet that retina display was still great.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first impressions are I'd have liked to have seen a larger ipad screen and maybe it kept the same size. The smaller bezel at the side makes the ipad feel widescreen yet 4:3.

It's very light though. Ipad 3 was too heavy yet Ipad Air is arguably too light so maybe Ipad 2 was just right.

It's noticeabley faster though. The speakers sound a whole lot better.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two different articles:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/01/peak_apple_new_ipad_launch_was_a_load_of_hot_air/

And

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2483192/iPad-Air-release-sees-hundreds-queue-Apple-fever-hits-more.html?ico=sciencetech%5Eheadlines

One saying large queues one saying small. That said its much easier get a hold of one in retailers unlike with iPhones were shops hold back for contract buyers.

Ipad 3 was never a queue from memory yet that retina display was still great.

I was near an Apple store, Southampton this morning, but was popping in to see if the Carphone warehouse had got any Nexus 5's in stock.

I would say there was a queue of around 20-50.

Had a quick play on one, it wasn't quite as 'wow' as I was hoping. Might be interested in the mini which seems to be the better value of the two.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I was in Covent Garden at about 2pm and they had 100's for sale and there seemed to be little interest which I was surprised about . Maybe a queue of 15 waiting to get one as they give it to you one by one .
  • fixermanfixerman Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have ordered mine 64GB from Tesco Direct to pick up at my local store after 4PM Monday. £30 off using the online voucher plus the Tesco Clubcard points. Result!:D
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered my iPad Air online on Friday morning. It's due on Tuesday.

However... If I had known that the demand would be so poor this generation, I would have just gone into the Apple Store on Saturday and bought one in person!

I've seen many people saying that shops still have plenty of stock, plus the Apple Online Store is *still* quoting 24 hour dispatch.

When I pre-ordered my iPad 3 in March last year, it took less than a day for dispatch estimates to slip from release day to two or three weeks after release day.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it's poor demand. I think it's better stocks. Often the rate limiting step on production has been the screen and they've got plentiful supplies of that now.

Also the phones always have much higher demand as people are swapping contracts. Tablets are a longer term 'investment'.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a combination of factors, with the biggest being people waiting for the mini.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that how "poor demand" is defined these days?

Anything that you can buy in a shop?

Weird.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    I was in Covent Garden at about 2pm and they had 100's for sale and there seemed to be little interest which I was surprised about . Maybe a queue of 15 waiting to get one as they give it to you one by one .

Presumably if people were keen to rush out and buy one they'd have gotten there earlier than 2pm.

And how often do you see queues of people waiting to buy a particular product in any shop?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pumazooma wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's poor demand. I think it's better stocks...
    I doubt demand has changed dramatically in that it is much the same tablet. A lower power screen allows a smaller battery.

Demand will be for the Mini. Here, last years launch always looked a 'stop gap'.
    Though even here its main competitor, the 7, is available at near half the price.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    The Air is an impressive piece of kit. As much as I loved the original, you can tell that this is the device Apple really wanted to make. Wonderful!!
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    The Air is an impressive piece of kit. As much as I loved the original, you can tell that this is the device Apple really wanted to make. Wonderful!!

I had a chance to look at the iPad air at the weekend. It is just a quality piece of kit. My iriginal plan was to buy a replacement for my wife's old iPad, and consider iPad mini's for the kids. I think now, I'm in the market for 3 iPads.
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a play with the iPad Air in my local KCRS in Derby today.

It's a very nice piece of kit compared to my "now in the process of being recycled" iPad with Retina Display but I am still drawn to the iPad Mini.

Not sure whether to save myself some money in the long-run and stick with the WiFi only model or save hard and get the Cellular version.....
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I had a play with the iPad Air in my local KCRS in Derby today.

It's a very nice piece of kit compared to my "now in the process of being recycled" iPad with Retina Display but I am still drawn to the iPad Mini.
    I had a quick play with the new Air on Saturday. My plan HAD been to perhaps go to a mini this time - but I am being drawn back towards the Air as it is so much lighter than my current 3rd generation! Unless people need to move it around a lot (commuting etc.) the extra screen size also looks worthwhile.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Is that how "poor demand" is defined these days?

Anything that you can buy in a shop?

Weird.

Given the issues with supply/demand of past iPads, and other Apple products, I think it's a fair point. It's not "normal" for iPad supply to be so plentiful at launch.

Think back to the iPad 3 pre-orders... Within a day of them going live, pre-orders slipped from having a guaranteed release day delivery to it being 2 or 3 weeks after release. And many of those of us who did manage to order one in time for release day delivery had to submit our orders several times before they went through because of the demand on Apple's website.

iPad Air? No ordering issues on release day, and now we have passed the launch weekend it is still shipping within 24 hours of being ordered, plus there are many reports of there being lots of stock in Apple Retail Stores and 3rd party stores.

Want to order an iPhone 5S, though? "2-3 weeks" if you order online, and pot-luck if you want to get one in store.

Perhaps it's actually the case that Apple has increased supply, rather than the case that demand has decreased... but then how come Apple always seems to have trouble having a sufficient supply of other products, including the 5S?

Plus it's a fact that iPad sales have slowed down, and it has been losing market share. In the 4th Quarter 2012 Apple sold 14 million iPads, up 26% from the 4th Quarter 2011 (11.12 million, 166% up from Q4 2010).

The 4th Quarter 2013 (the one just gone)? 14.1 million, around a 0.7% increase. Part of that is probably due to the expectation of a 5th generation iPad along with a Retina iPad Mini, but even so, it isn't having the kind of growth it used to have.

iPad 3: 3 million units during the launch weekend - http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/03/19New-iPad-Tops-Three-Million.html

iPad 4 + iPad Mini combined: 3 million units during their launch weekend - http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/apple-boasts-3-million-sales-for-ipad-mini-ipad-4-1110144

... with the Mini outselling the 4 - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57559159-37/ipad-mini-set-to-eclipse-retina-ipad/

It'll be interesting to see the launch weekend sales for the Air.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Given the issues with supply/demand of past iPads, and other Apple products, I think it's a fair point. It's not "normal" for iPad supply to be so plentiful at launch.

iPad Air? No ordering issues on release day, and now we have passed the launch weekend it is still shipping within 24 hours of being ordered, plus there are many reports of there being lots of stock in Apple Retail Stores and 3rd party stores.

It'll be interesting to see the launch weekend sales for the Air.
    Apple do seem to have got pretty massive stocks of the iPad Air out in shops this time.

Also sales may be being confused by what seems like a vast pent-up demand for the new mini - many people may be waiting to see it in reality before deciding (as I am!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    ...sales may be being confused by what seems like a vast pent-up demand for the new mini - many people may be waiting to see it in reality before deciding (as I am!)
    It could be pent up for a heck of a long time. I really does depend on how fast suppliers managed to alter those production lines at short notice.

With no sales figure released this time, it may only be 'hot aIr'.
    Interestingly Sainburys have new stock of the Nook HD and Nook HD+
    An £80 HD alternative to the Mini whilst the 9" £129 HD+ is a very good in-between Retina model.

The Nooks show how low publicity hinder sales of very good technology.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    It could be pent up for a heck of a long time. I really does depend on how fast suppliers managed to alter those production lines at short notice.
    You seem to firmly believe those few analysts who predicted that the iPad mini Mk 2 MIGHT not have a retina display!

I (and others!) do not and think there was not even a remote chance of a non-retina mini being launched!:D

If we are correct then no production lines would ever have been altered and only the difficulties and rumoured poor yields in making the requisite number of the new panels will hold back the launch availability of the Mini Mk2!

Whatever the true reasons I doubt if many people will have their Mini MK2 this side of the New Year!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPad Air Adoption Outpacing Last Year's iPad 4 and iPad Mini Launches

Two days after the launch of the iPad Air, the new tablet's share of overall iPad activity is five times that of the iPad 4 and more than three times that of the iPad mini following their launches last year. The iPad Air currently represents 0.73% of total active iPads after two days, compared to 0.14% for the fourth-generation iPads and 0.21% for the first-generation iPad mini in the same time frame last year.

AT&T Sees iPad Air Activations Up Threefold From Last Year's iPad Launch Weekend

AT&T has clarified again, stating that the original press release is correct and activations are more than triple what they were last year, and that the numbers are compared to the November 2012 cellular iPad launch weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Whatever the true reasons I doubt if many people will have their Mini MK2 this side of the New Year!
    For top quality they can use the same production line as the new Nexus 7. And at the very same PPI I cannot see any other reason for a delay here.

Using 3 production sources there is also a chance it will use lower grade panels again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    For top quality they can use the same production line as the new Nexus 7. And at the very same PPI I cannot see any other reason for a delay here.

Using 3 production sources there is also a chance it will use lower grade panels again.

You would assume the nexus 7 screen production line would be busy producing screens for the nexus 7. Besides, as they are different size screens, how can you be sure they are even tooled up to produce iPad mini screens?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to firmly believe those few analysts who predicted that the iPad mini Mk 2 MIGHT not have a retina display!

I (and others!) do not and think there was not even a remote chance of a non-retina mini being launched!:D

If we are correct then no production lines would ever have been altered and only the difficulties and rumoured poor yields in making the requisite number of the new panels will hold back the launch availability of the Mini Mk2!

Whatever the true reasons I doubt if many people will have their Mini MK2 this side of the New Year!

I think he follows the "say it enough times and people will believe it is true" approach:) My kids do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    I think he follows the "say it enough times and people will believe it is true" approach:) ..
    Well I've followed more than a fair few reviews that do that.

BTW those 'production problems' surfaced in July, just after the Nexus 7 got so highly acclaimed acclaimed.
    The Telegraph even told us it would likely be unveiled on 22nd October but might not be rolled out until after xmas.

An orchestrated leak with production problems being the lateness of the design change. I think it was also then that the WSJ who said 'Apple have been known to incorporate late design changes'.

Anyway, it does Apple little harm to have some clamour for the goods. They might even sell a few more of the bigger indoor tablets that way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On that subject of screens, technical reviews have the one on new Air as middling quality.

That probably means it is beaten by both the high quality Kindle HDX and Nexus 7 screens. The Mini should no doubt follow suit.