Options

Tom Daley voted sexiest male celeb by DS readers.

Comments

• Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I barely count him as male , he's just a boy !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't it Zac Effron a few years ago? It's now the reoccurring theme for young celebrities to win these.

As for the whole 'male celeb' description, yes he fits it. He also fits the description of 'Olympic sportsman.' He's 18 years old, he has a good worth ethic and so what if he's making money for taking his clothes off? He's been doing it for years when diving and if anyone on this forum were in the same position, I can guarantee you now not one of you wouldn't do what he is doing. To judge him for his lifestyle as of now is just downright stupid.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I totally agree. I really don't like it either. It makes them look desperate and egotistical, and devalues them as people with actual talent and work ethic. You get the feeling Tom Daley just wasn't taking the Olympics seriously in terms of competing - he seemed like he was much more into the glitz and glamour and doing the rounds on the celeb circuit. I found it quite sad to see as it seems like young people have been programmmed now to want fame and all the shallowness that comes with it above everything else.

Of course he was.

He may be fronting a TV show, but he is also still completing his "A" levels, and is not neglecting his regular diving training either, because he is still first and foremost a sportsman. Has also competed in another competition in Australia since the Olympics.:)

Sexy though? Bit young for me;)
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of preferred it before when our medal winning athletes were relatively unknown. .

Oh you mean like Seb Coe, Steve Ovett, Tessa Sanderson, Daley Thompson, Fatima Whitbread, :rolleyes:
    Now the likes of Daley, Pendleton, Wiggins and Smith have turned into right fame-hungry media ****,
    Wiggins???! . If you seriously consider Wiggins a 'fame hungry media ****' then that says more about you than it does about the athlete
  • Options
    ChowderHeadChowderHead Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    rionia wrote: »
    Oh you mean like Seb Coe, Steve Ovett, Tessa Sanderson, Daley Thompson, Fatima Whitbread, :rolleyes:

Neither of these were hardly the media **** Adlington, Daley and co are.

So go ahead and roll your eyes, your point is worthless.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nemokins wrote: »
    Wasn't it Zac Effron a few years ago? It's now the reoccurring theme for young celebrities to win these.

As for the whole 'male celeb' description, yes he fits it. He also fits the description of 'Olympic sportsman.' He's 18 years old, he has a good worth ethic and so what if he's making money for taking his clothes off? He's been doing it for years when diving and if anyone on this forum were in the same position, I can guarantee you now not one of you wouldn't do what he is doing. To judge him for his lifestyle as of now is just downright stupid.

He seems very fond of the media spotlight and celebrity without neccessarily having the talent to back it up.....he gets a hell of a lot of column inches for someone with an Olympic bronze medal to his name.

Having said that, it's not as if he's pulling a fast one. The British public have bought into the Tom Daley story entirely of their own volition. There's a touch of the David Beckham about him.....nowhere near England's best ever footballer but easily the most famous one.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    What rubbish. And to include Bradley Wiggins of all people in there is just moronic.

Tom Daley is most certainly one (going on the X-Factor was what sealed the deal), but I'll agree that Bradley Wiggins isn't.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really isnt a sexy male.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Daley is most certainly one (going on the X-Factor was what sealed the deal), but I'll agree that Bradley Wiggins isn't.

I disagree. If you mean he's taking advantage of opportunities to try new things and make some money while the going's good, then why not? I'd rather someone like Tom was getting these opportunites than the overload of talentless witless zelebs who turn up with relentless frequency on tv.

Ditto with any of the other athletes who are taking advantage of what's being offered to them as a result of their heightened profile. Go for it.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. If you mean he's taking advantage of opportunities to try new things and make some money while the going's good, then why not? I'd rather someone like Tom was getting these opportunites than the overload of talentless witless zelebs who turn up with relentless frequency on tv.

Ditto with any of the other athletes who are taking advantage of what's being offered to them as a result of their heightened profile. Go for it.

Absolutely agree Lexi. At least these people are well known for being good at something and having a day job. Also, sport is a short lived career so why not make the most of opening other doors? Much rather people like Tom and other talented individuals than TOWIE types or BB contestants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Absolutely agree Lexi. At least these people are well known for being good at something and having a day job. Also, sport is a short lived career so why not make the most of opening other doors? Much rather people like Tom and other talented individuals than TOWIE types or BB contestants.

Right, and also, contrary to some people's perception, these people are hardly millionaires who can afford to turn down money-generating opps. Sports careers can be notoriously precarious (and can be cut short through injury etc) and everyone needs a back-up plan. Tom's 18, maybe he's looking to broaden his career opps... or maybe he's just enjoying himself. Either is fine by me.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom has another two, maybe three Olympics left in him. He should be thinking about Rio right now, it'll come around quickly. Unless he knuckle down he won't improve on the bronze he won in London.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Eek! Just saw Splash! advert on ITV... looks lame.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    He's an 18 year old boy. How can a boy be sexy?:confused: I'd feel icky lusting over someone so young, the same goes for the 1D boys.

The age of consent is 16.
  • Options
    gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is handsome I guess but when he is older mid 20s and in his prime women will go MAD for him! What a lucky young man indeed :)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    What rubbish. And to include Bradley Wiggins of all people in there is just moronic.

I was about to say something similar. Wiggins hasn't been putting himself about at all. Several of our Olympians have been bouncing from one chat/reality show to another. Wiggins hasn't.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    He is handsome I guess but when he is older mid 20s and in his prime women will go MAD for him! What a lucky young man indeed :)

I think his fanbase is mostly adolescent girls & gay males. He's probably too short for most women.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Daley isnt sexy :confused:

If you're under 30 then I would say he probably is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I think his fanbase is mostly adolescent girls & gay males. He's probably too short for most women.

Well I'm only 5 foot 4 myself, but old enough to be his mother; I agree that he will be handsome in 10 years time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well he's certainly fit - no beer belly or anything like that.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »

i know, it really does look dreadful.:eek: personally, i don't think itv are onto a ratings winner with that one.:o
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »

Yes I'm aware of that thanks, nothing wrong with young girls drooling over him but for me personally he's little more than a child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »

It does sound a bit lame...

"The peak-time show, which has the working title Splash!, promises "spectacular and hilarious prime-time fun". It remains to be seen just how high the board will be, or how low the bar will be set to qualify as a "celebrity".

But here's a good idea in the comments:

"Can we have an empty pool, just to make it more interesting." ;)
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »

For voters?
  • Options
    gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Tom Daley posed naked he would make a fortune!