Am I the only one who thinks Mrs Brown's Boys is utter crap?

Comments

• Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It's about as bad as TV gets.

Complete and utter puerile crap.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    So yesteryear, out-dated...I expect that it attracts a certain kind of person for this reason though.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Agree agree agree!!

Obvious humour to the extreme. If I fell over in a really funny way, that'd get the kind of laugh I find that MBB exhibits.
    Now Father Ted...that was some good Irish comedy :cool: (if anyone compares the two, I will not be liable for my actions :mad:)
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed some of the episodes from the last series but the Christmas specials were awful. Oh and the laugh that Mrs Brown does frequently to the camera is annoying.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Well if you don't like it - DON'T WATCH IT. Plenty of people do like Mrs Browns Boys - hence its solid ratings and winning awards.

I do find it slightly irritating when people feel the need to start threads saying how much they hate a TV programme - why not post about ones you like and switch off the ones you don't.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, because we have to pay for programmes we don't like or watch as we do for the ones we ike and watch plus, a forum is about discussion not just appreciation.

I think it's tripe. Love' Father Ted,' got the box set and even watch he repeats. Love 'The Thick Of it'. Don't want to see some bloke dressed up as a woman, being cringey.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda. Royal Bodyguard. Citizen Khan. Mrs Brown’s Boys. The Royle Family....

BBC1 has lost the plot when it comes to sit-coms these days. No, I don’t care that Miranda, TRF and Mrs Brown rate well - They’re embarassments, all of them. They make Allo Allo look sophisticated.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched part of one episode - truly awful, seemed like a poor 70's US sitcom hammed up to the hilt with added swearing (and the studio audience on laughing gas going hysterical over the slightest thing).

I steer well clear of it now.

But I accept that others do find it funny - good luck to them, it's just not for me.

Then again, I did not find Little Britain, The League of Gentlemen, Shooting Stars or Vic and Bob at all funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I can't stand it. I find it distasteful at best and what I find even more disgusting is that my grandparents and their mates love it and find it hilarious. :eek:
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of people hate it - humour after all is quite subjective but the viewing figures and the commissioning of a new series speak for themselves.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    It is utter crap :yawn:
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Well if you don't like it - DON'T WATCH IT. Plenty of people do like Mrs Browns Boys - hence its solid ratings and winning awards.

I do find it slightly irritating when people feel the need to start threads saying how much they hate a TV programme - why not post about ones you like and switch off the ones you don't.

Why do you find it slightly irritating when people feel the need to start threads saying how much they hate a TV programme? The OP is posting on a forum about TV programmes, nothing in rules says that all threads must be positive and gushing, it's not a crime to post a thread asking who else doesn't like a certain show. If you want only positive threads then you're going to be unlucky, I don't want to be bored out of my mind by only reading positive feedback because it doesn't attract debate.

For the record, I love Mrs Brown's Boys, I even enjoy the dire Christmas specials, probably because I appreciate Brendan O'Carroll's portrayal of a woman who reminds me of my late mother in law (except that my MIL never, ever swore).
  • digimoandigimoan Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Watched it for the first time over Christmas - and just found it crass and boring - sorry
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Both me and the hubby don't like it and it's rare that there's something we both don't like on tv
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother loves it but found the Xmas special stupid.
  • Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Loved the TV series

but the Christmas specials were abysmal.

Agree with this. The same joke can only be told once or twice. Not funny anymore.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Well if you don't like it - DON'T WATCH IT.

I do find it slightly irritating when people feel the need to start threads saying how much they hate a TV programme.
    If you don't like the thread - DON'T POST IN THE THREAD. Etc...

I do find it slightly irritating when people bizarrely feel the only ones who should discuss a TV programme on a forum are those who like it.

It puzzles me whenever it happens.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJFerrol wrote: »
    The humour if that's what you call it is desperate at the best of times. There are only so many times you can laugh at someone braking the forth wall and swearing in an Irish accent. Don't even get me started on them protracted heart felt moments

Far from it, there are many!
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not the only one. Grace Dent didn't like it either:
    It is Two Pints of Lager and Packet of Crisps, but more than ten times as crass and not as cerebral. It's that sitcom in BBC1's Extras that the Ricky Gervais character was embarrassed to be the start of, despite it bringing him adulation and wealth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's THE worst "comedy" BBC have EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER done!!! (that's saying something)
  • djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's THE worst "comedy" BBC have EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER done!!! (that's saying something)
    <
    THIS

Its truly awful.

You usual have some empathy for the main character but that is the programmes major problem - the main character. Some of the other characters are bareable but grandfather looked about a 35 year old actor in a beard!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this as I was hoping it might be as good as 'Father Ted', my favourite TV programme ever.

However, I thought it was just dreadful.
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm Irish, and find it crap. He originally did Mrs Browns boys for Irish TV 20 years ago and was rubbish then.. The BBC polished a turd and its still crap.
    However when Angellica Huston played Mrs Brown in the movie Agnes Brown, it was somewhat acceptable, but Brendan O'Carroll is a talentless git.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    You're not the only one. Grace Dent didn't like it either:
    It is Two Pints of Lager and Packet of Crisps, but more than ten times as crass and not as cerebral. It's that sitcom in BBC1's Extras that the Ricky Gervais character was embarrassed to be the start of, despite it bringing him adulation and wealth.

Sums it up nicely. For me it's the obviousness of the studio audience that pushes it up the richter scale of dreadfulness.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I've watched afew episodes and I just don't get it at all. I think it will appeal to those with Irish blood. My grandad is Irish so my aunty and nan love it. The humour of it is lost on me!

I'm Irish and i am not a fan so please do not put all Irish people into the same category. Its like saying all people from London like Eastenders.