Watching youtube on TV using Galaxy Tab

turboturbo Posts: 195
Forum Member
Hi,

My daughter has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 and I was wondering how to view YouTube on my TV.

I was able to ping a Youtube video to a TV in Currys a week or so before Christmas. From memory, I started toi play a video, I then pressed a TV icon on the screen and picked the 80" Samsung TV that was listed there (along with loads of other TVs). Kylie Minogue Spinning around in 80" :)

I hoped to be able to do this at home.

I have a Sony TV.

For teh record, my Sony TV is a 2012 model something something something 853. AND I can ping Video to this TV using the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0.

There is a TV icon displayed and I can pick the necessary TV.

If anyone can help, or point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Otherwise, I might take a trip to Currys and get them to help me.

Comments

• pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it needs to be a feature of the TV as well as the tablet, as the protocols for sending video differ somewhat from "sending" YouTube.

Here may help: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3230451?hl=en-gb&ref_topic=3421347
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a feature of Samsung Smart TV when coupled with the Galxy Tab 3 and will only work if you have a Samsung Smart TV.
  • turboturbo Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the responses.

I am still a bit confused about what should and shouldn't work.

The tablet does communicate with my Sony tv for Video. If I watch a film saved on the tablet, this can be viewed on my Sony TV by pressing a tv icon and selecting the Sony TV from a list of devices.

I wonder why YouTube doesn't work the same way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    You could get a Google Chromecast. Amazon sell them for £35. It plugs into a spare HDMI port on your telly, then you download the Chromecast app to your tablet, then you can stream YouTube (and Netflicks) to your telly.I have one it works great.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Sony a smart tv? If it is fire up the Youtube app and it should offer to pair it with your phone via a code. Start the Youtube app on your phone and log in to your account, can't remember it exactly now as i did it a while ago, but theres an icon there to pair with the TV, put the code in and when you play a video on the phone there should be an icon to send it to the TV.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3230451?hl=en

^^i knew there was an easier explanation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    turbo wrote: »
    I wonder why YouTube doesn't work the same way.
    In basic terms, when you send a video from the tablet to the TV, you are in essence actually sending the video. With YouTube, the content doesn't exist on your tablet, so what happened in the shop with the Samsung TVs is that the tablet "told" the TVs to go and fetch that particular video using their own YouTube app. That's why they don't work the same way.

So, if your Sony TV has a YouTube function, you can try following the links in either mine or johnathome's posts to try and get them to pair. Otherwise, you might be out of luck for watching YouTube on your TV.
  • turboturbo Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Thanks all for your help.

I have solved the issue and I can now get the videos on the TV.

I had to pair the device to the you tube application on the TV. Once done I was away.

My only problem now is that I have used my Google account to set up the girls Youtube and apps on their tablets; so my recent searches appear on their history too. That could mean they click on items that are not appropriate for preteens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can edit and delete your Youtube search history.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57711?hl=en-GB
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mikdyer252 wrote: »
    You could get a Google Chromecast. Amazon sell them for £35. It plugs into a spare HDMI port on your telly, then you download the Chromecast app to your tablet, then you can stream YouTube (and Netflicks) to your telly.I have one it works great.

That sounded great and I have been thinking about it.

But isn't it the same result as ensuring that the tablet has an HDMI port and connecting. I have done it with a £89 Lidl Trekstor and it works well - plus micro HDMI cable from Poundland.

A tablet with an HDMI port produces a smart TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounded great and I have been thinking about it.

But isn't it the same result as ensuring that the tablet has an HDMI port and connecting. I have done it with a £89 Lidl Trekstor and it works well - plus micro HDMI cable from Poundland.

A tablet with an HDMI port produces a smart TV.
    Well there are ups and downs for both, really. Having a tablet wired to the TV doesn't make it particularly portable, so generally you're getting up and down a lot to operate whereas the Chromecast is more remotely operated, so you can cast videos from your armchair etc.

That said, Chromecast is a pretty limited device in its current incarnation. There's no simple way of casting local videos (or even mirroring the screen) from your device to the Chromecast, whereas obviously a wired-up tablet doesn't suffer these drawbacks.

It will be interested to see how (or if) the Chromecast is developed. If it could support DLNA streaming or Miracast mirroring, that would make it a must-have in my eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    One difference with the Chromecast is it actually downloads its own video stream once you have started a video playing so you can do other stuff on your tablet or phone and still watch YouTube. I agree its pretty limited at the moment but I still feel its good value at around £35.
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my LG Smart TV to view YouTube from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Both are linked via my home wi-fi. The system works well.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppasmurf wrote: »
    I use my LG Smart TV to view YouTube from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Both are linked via my home wi-fi. The system works well.

I thought a "Smart" TV was full internet capable and included youtube and a browser. Obviously not.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought a "Smart" TV was full internet capable and included youtube and a browser. Obviously not.

It does include both but try typing using a remote control! I have a keyboard and mouse but they only work while using the browser. If the tv maker supply a keyboard for that model of tv it may work on all the apps, sadly Samsung don't supply one for mine so I had to use a 3rd party keyboard.
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No! A Smart TV isn't really very smart. It's a very basic computer akin to something like a computer you would have bought in the 1980's.

I doubt the 'smart ability' of mine has had more than an hours' use in the year I've owned it. Much better to use the Galaxy Tab and broadcast direct to the screen.
  • hxbrohxbro Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the tablet supports it, look at "miracast" products if your tv doesn't have it supported already, but do some research first to make sure they are compatible with your tablet, tv and the apps/games you want to use.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £10 nowtv box has an app called play to. Load android app or PC etc. One of options is YouTube channel.
    Works with almost any tv dumb so long av or HDMI input. You can get a simple av to scart converter as well.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a PS3, download the PS3 you tube app on your tablet, boot up you tube on PS3, pair them up and Bobs your uncle.