Options

Following Christmas boom, half of all Britons use a tablet

JasonJason Posts: 76,557
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/following-christmas-boom-half-of-all-britons-use-a-tablet-50013132/
We are a nation addicted to tablets, according to new research. Between 12 million and 13 million tablet PCs were sold in the UK this year, which was an increase of more than 50 per cent on 2012, according to research company Deloitte, the Telegraph reports. By the end of January, that should mean half of all Britons will own or have access to a tablet, which is up from 36 per cent in the summer.

Unsurprisingly, the recent slew of cheap slate PCs has fuelled this rise, with the devices regularly selling for less than £100. The likes of the Bush MyTablet from Argos, Avoca 7 from Carphone Warehouse, and the Tesco Hudl have brought tablets to the masses, meaning they're no longer the preserve of tech trendsetters.

And I still don't know what i'd use one for :)

I suspect these numbers will keep going up with better quality tablets getting cheaper and cheaper. You'll still have your tablet snobs who will always tell you to "spend £20 or £30 quid more" though.

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to think that, until I got my iPad a few years back. Even with a decent Android phone (currently S3) I'll still use the iPad for stuff like comiXology, taking notes or watching Netflix in bed :D

I'm surprised by those numbers, though. The leap in users is amazing.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    A tablet is one of those things that you think you wouldnt use. However if one was sitting on the coffee table, you would use it - more than you think you would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I used to think that, until I got my iPad a few years back. Even with a decent Android phone (currently S3) I'll still use the iPad for stuff like comiXology, taking notes or watching Netflix in bed :D

I'm surprised by those numbers, though. The leap in users is amazing.

I suppose it's the portability and 'all-in-one' aspect that people are latching on to - as you say, the ability to watch Netflix (or Sky Go e.t.c..) in bed is probably appealing to a lot of people, especially, I would imagine, couples who do have seperate viewing habits.

A tablet is probably much, much simpler to watch stuff on than sitting up in bed with a laptop on your lap :)
    ACU wrote: »
    A tablet is one of those things that you think you wouldnt use. However if one was sitting on the coffee table, you would use it - more than you think you would.

I've actually had a couple over the years but i've always sold them on within a day or two because I've never really found any use for them - mainly because my desktop is mere feet away in my flat and also if i want to do any quick surfing or gaming, i use the iPhone.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/following-christmas-boom-half-of-all-britons-use-a-tablet-50013132/

I suspect these numbers will keep going up with better quality tablets getting cheaper and cheaper. You'll still have your tablet snobs who will always tell you to "spend £20 or £30 quid more" though.

Snobs? :D It's difficult to explain to you as you don't appear to use one regularly that sometimes spending just a little more can mean a frustrating experience becomes something that's a joy to use. A lot of us have been there and are speaking from experience, that's all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Snobs? :D It's difficult to explain to you as you don't appear to use one regularly that sometimes spending just a little more can mean a frustrating experience becomes something that's a joy to use. A lot of us have been there and are speaking from experience.

No, I don't use one regularly and currently don't own one, but I do also understand that some people might want one for a specific purpose and might only want to spend X amount on one.

One of the lower end tablets I bought, and subsequently sold, a few years back went to a man who said he wanted something cheap and cheerful to display his artwork to people and didn't want to spend more than £40 quid.

He wasn't in the slightest bit bothered it had a single core processor, 512mb and a fairly bog standard screen as well - he just wanted something that worked.

So it certainly does happen.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt that I wouldn't use one,until I got one last year. Now I have 3! I use them more than I use my laptop these days. Sometimes a week or 2 can go by and I've not used my laptop, yet I use a tablet everyday.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tablet is probably much, much simpler to watch stuff on than sitting up in bed with a laptop on your lap :)

Having done both, yes it is :D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still love my desktop with a 'proper' keyboard and mouse. But for taking away with me a tablet is much more convenient than a laptop.
    My only regret is that maybe I should've got a 10" rather than 7", but then again I don't have a smart phone.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I've actually had a couple over the years but i've always sold them on within a day or two because I've never really found any use for them - mainly because my desktop is mere feet away in my flat and also if i want to do any quick surfing or gaming, i use the iPhone.

I have a desktop, which is in the spare bedroom and I have a netbook. My misses got fed up with me spending more time on the PC, rather than downstairs with her. So I bought a netbook, as I could use it downstairs, and she was quite happy with that.

Then I bought a tablet, and the netbook hardly gets used. I use the tablet all the time. You cant beat the PC, for 'proper' surfing, gaming, MS Office etc. However the tablet it great for just checking something. I could be watching a film, and wonder what other films an actor is in, so I use my tablet. If I am watching QI, I may want to google something they are discussing etc etc. There is no way I would go upstairs to check these things on my desktop, and the netbook whilst it saved me a trip upstairs, wasnt worth the hassle (mainly due to boot up times etc). The tablet however is great for these tasks.

For me the tablet is worth it, as my misses uses it. She hardly ever used my desktop, and only used the netbook a bit when we first got it. The tablet however she uses it quite a bit. Its probably the only bit if tech she is happy I bought.

Of course it is horses for course, and not everyone will find a use for it. For some its not required, for others it will be essential. For me its between the two, leaning more towards the essential.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I felt that I wouldn't use one,until I got one last year. Now I have 3! I use them more than I use my laptop these days. Sometimes a week or 2 can go by and I've not used my laptop, yet I use a tablet everyday.

which is why my guess is that half of Britons don't actually have a tablet, but quite a few Britons have more than 1. Probably an age demographic as well as income.
  • Options
    ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I suppose it's the portability and 'all-in-one' aspect that people are latching on to - as you say, the ability to watch Netflix (or Sky Go e.t.c..) in bed is probably appealing to a lot of people, especially, I would imagine, couples who do have seperate viewing habits.

And that explains why 12-13 million have been sold!!
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I have had 5 in the last year or so! LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »

This is exactly how I would describe it. I used to think I would have no use for a tablet considering I had a phone and laptop, but since I've had one I've used it for all kinds of things: emails, web browsing without waiting for a laptop to boot up, Twitter, gaming, reading, writing, Netflix in bed, and so much more. Plus I now have a bluetooth keyboard to use with it, meaning typing for long periods on it is almost as seamless an experience as it is on my laptop. Basically, I would simply not be without one anymore.

I also think that tablets are excellent devices for consuming media on, whether it's music, a quick YouTube video, or entire movies or TV shows via Netflix. Yes, you can do this on a plethora of other devices but not with the same degree of convenience as a tablet. The subscriber numbers of something like Netflix show that streaming video is an extremely popular thing these days, and it pretty much goes hand-in-hand with tablet usage.
  • Options
    InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Couldn't be without mine. Got my first iPad two years ago but have used it significantly more in the past year and recently got an Air. Dropped my laptop ages ago and haven't even bothered getting it fixed yet because 99% of what I used it for can be done on the iPad and in a more convenient way. The other 1% I just do on the other laptop we have in the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it appears I now own (another) one :)

It's an Archos 80 Cobalt 8" that Tesco are knocking out for £59 on their ebay outlet store.

It's currently sitting next to me, unopened, as i need to leave it untouched in case i want to return it for a refund - I have 10 days to decide apparently ..
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around the house I tend to still use my desktop and laptop most of the time. The only place my Nexus 7 is used is for watching streamed media in the bath (with a waterproof case!).

Where the tablet really is fantastic is when I'm out and about or travelling. The Nexus slips into a jacket pocket or bag and is useful for when you need a bigger screen than your phone.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting reading this thread.

I have 2 tablets (an 8" and a 7"), a netbook and a laptop. I still use my laptop more than any of the others. My poor netbook hasn't been used for months and I probably should just sell it.

I am typing this on my laptop and watching something on the 8" tablet.

ETA I rarely take the the tablets out of the house as I use my phone. I do take one on holiday with me.
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it appears I now own (another) one :)

It's an Archos 80 Cobalt 8" that Tesco are knocking out for £59 on their ebay outlet store.

It's currently sitting next to me, unopened, as i need to leave it untouched in case i want to return it for a refund - I have 10 days to decide apparently ..

Distance selling regs allow you to open and use it and then send it back if you want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Distance selling regs allow you to open and use it and then send it back if you want.

good to know, thanks. it's still sitting here untouched :)
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    To those who have more than one tablet - do you use the two differently? Can't see any point in having multiple things that do the same thing?
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To those who have more than one tablet - do you use the two differently? Can't see any point in having multiple things that do the same thing?

I got the 7" to connect to my tv as the 8" doesn't display properly. It's also the one I take out with me as it's lighter than the 8" one.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I use the 10 inch Android tablet (Galaxy tab)in the house.I keep the Galaxy tab 2, mainly for watching Netflix,sky go, YouTube and movies etc in the house as it has a big screen and the OH tends to hog the TV and the laptop. Don't want to have to go to the bedroom all the time. I also like the fact that it can take a micro SD card so I can load it up with lots of things.

I use my iPad mini when I'm out and about . The Galaxy tab is too big and cumbersome to be dragging around with me. The iPad mini is light and fits in my handbag. Also there are tons of TV shows that I can get from iTunes which are not available on the Google play store so I use my iPad to watch those. There are also apps and games that I can't get from the Google play store, like love film. I also use the airplay feature to mirror my iPad to my TV via my apple TV.

Just before Christmas I bought a nexus 7. It was mainly bought for my other half who Sometimes likes to take a Tablet out with him but also finds the ga
    Galaxy tab, too big. I've also persuaded him to use it in bed instead of using the laptop, which he agrees is much more comfortable . I use the nexus 7 in the house Sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a very switched on household Anika :)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have an old Blackberry Playbook but haven't turned it on in months. It is gathering dust in my Cupboard of Obsolete Technology.

I also have a Kindle which gets a lot of use when I'm on holiday and have time to read. It's better for e-books than a regular tablet and the battery lasts much longer.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »

These distance selling regs also apply to Click and Collect