Apple set for twice a year iPad refresh

2»

Comments

• kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If their app is crashing then they are not handling the errors their software is encountering.

These errors might be because they were using features of iOS that Apple have deprecated, which they do ALL the BLOODY time! If the App isn't written with this in mind then when it tries to use a feature it will just bomb out and crash as seems to be happening to you.

The other likely solution might be that the devs have to use the new XCode which cant build for older devices, so they cant actually patch your version whilst supporting new devices, like iPhone5.

Edit: having read reviews on the google play store the software is incredibly unstable there too. Sounds like TERRIBLE software!
    Thanks! So there's no real point in updating my iPad, then. You've saved me a few quid!
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they won't have to refresh at all :D

Google Nexus 7 tops iPad in Japan: Is this a trend?
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple need to forget about "refreshing" and need to start lowering the price, the iPad is a blatant rip off when compared to other tablets on the market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Maybe they won't have to refresh at all :D

Google Nexus 7 tops iPad in Japan: Is this a trend?

Well lets look at the facts here, you can buy 1 iPad mini or 2 Nexus 7, or 1 iPad 4 or 3 nexus 7. The fact the Nexus is sold at a discounted price is proof that discounting works.

Apple need to take note.
  • DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Well lets look at the facts here, you can buy 1 iPad mini or 2 Nexus 7, or 1 iPad 4 or 3 nexus 7. The fact the Nexus is sold at a discounted price is proof that discounting works.

Apple need to take note.

Is it? Compared to what?
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changing from a yearly to a twice yearly model refresh is a good move, and not just if you're a playboy picking his girlfriends. Ultimately it means MORE refurbished and second hand iPads hitting the market at a discount, which the Apple fans have already paid a premium for. The more second hand units passed down the line, the cheaper they'll be. I can actually see a glut in second hand iPads dropping the price to ridiculously low levels. Perhaps even as low as a comparable Android tablet, new.

The Nexus phones and tablets are Google loss-leaders. They are the most bang for the buck hardware right now. The iTunes app store is by far and away the best walled garden and the iPad hardware and software is melded into a single experience that would make an angel weep at the perfection. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

I have an iPad 3 - the iPad 4 miffed me a bit, but not much and only briefly. I have my eye on a Nexus 4 and 10, but I can wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changing from a yearly to a twice yearly model refresh is a good move, and not just if you're a playboy picking his girlfriends. Ultimately it means MORE refurbished and second hand iPads hitting the market at a discount, which the Apple fans have already paid a premium for. The more second hand units passed down the line, the cheaper they'll be. I can actually see a glut in second hand iPads dropping the price to ridiculously low levels. Perhaps even as low as a comparable Android tablet, new.

The Nexus phones and tablets are Google loss-leaders. They are the most bang for the buck hardware right now. The iTunes app store is by far and away the best walled garden and the iPad hardware and software is melded into a single experience that would make an angel weep at the perfection. You pays yer money and you takes yer choice.

I have an iPad 3 - the iPad 4 miffed me a bit, but not much and only briefly. I have my eye on a Nexus 4 and 10, but I can wait.

The Nexus 10 I can recommend but I wouldn't bother with the Nexus 4 unless you can get it the discounted price.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a450953/apple-set-for-twice-a-year-ipad-refresh-says-analyst.html

I think this is ridiculous. Once a year was enough. In some ways it's not worth buying an iPad if they're going to keep refreshing them all the time.

To be honest it's probably more in line with other manufacturers. I imagine that the Galaxy tablets and phones are updated a few times a year. Sure they may be small updates but they'll be updates.

With technology, you buy when you buy and don't worry if in a few months time there's one with more RAM, faster processor etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    To be honest it's probably more in line with other manufacturers. I imagine that the Galaxy tablets and phones are updated a few times a year. Sure they may be small updates but they'll be updates.

With technology, you buy when you buy and don't worry if in a few months time there's one with more RAM, faster processor etc.

It's true, its the same with phones I mean how long has the S3 been out? An we have the S3 the S3 LTE the S3 mini.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the way technology works. Of you were always waiting for the next thing you'd never buy anything.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like a clever move by Apple.

Set the bar very low for a 'budget for Apple' iPad, bring out one that's half decent and voilà, gallons and gallons of media hype and more sustained profit.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Seems like a clever move by Apple.

Set the bar very low for a 'budget for Apple' iPad, bring out one that's half decent and voilà, gallons and gallons of media hype and more sustained profit.

no different to any one else
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I noticed everyone is still completely ignoring this

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/apples-2013-product-roadmap-predictions-multiple-iphones-retina-ipad-mini-all-retina-macbook-pros/

This guy has a VERY good track record when it comes to Apple hardware rumours and he is saying new iPads in the third quarter of the year and not March.
  • dagidagi Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Mirela wrote: »
    As long as it still works for a couple of years without software updates at least, that's the main thing...

I'd expect more than a couple of years for a £699 tablet.

dagi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no different to any one else
    They however do go that step further.

And even by going as far as they dared, that the 'New iPad' is still apparently suffering a sales deficit.
  • MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dagi wrote: »

dagi

I got it for £310 on Amazon...so if £699 is the RRP then that's a brilliant deal I got! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dagi wrote: »

dagi

Why? You'd be lucky to get more than a couple of years from a £699 laptop. At least the Tablet will have some value but the laptop would almost be throw away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Why? You'd be lucky to get more than a couple of years from a £699 laptop. At least the Tablet will have some value but the laptop would almost be throw away.

My £500 laptop is still perfectly running win 7 after 2 years. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't dream of using an iPad 1 anymore (2010) or any honeycomb tablet, yet I'm quite happily using a core 2 duo laptop from 2008 right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I noticed everyone is still completely ignoring this
    He is still hedging his bets.

The use of the fingerprint scanner is certain somewhere, otherwise Apple has closed down AuthenTec.

They obviously can't provide a 720p 4" screen. The 5 fully abandoned Samsung to a mix of 3 other suppliers.
    I suppose they could add choice and provide an outdoor Izgo Pixel Qi type screen option.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ishAppy wrote: »
    My £500 laptop is still perfectly running win 7 after 2 years. :confused:

I agree. I got 4 years out of my last laptop which cost me £600. It was only because my OH dropped it :rolleyes: and it fell apart that I had to get a new one, otherwise it was still going strong.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Well this guy is saying a refresh won't happen until the third quarter of the year - September time.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/apples-2013-product-roadmap-predictions-multiple-iphones-retina-ipad-mini-all-retina-macbook-pros/

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has a very good track record in predicting Apple's product plans, has issued a new research report outlining his expectations for Apple's 2013 product launches

- iPad and iPad mini: Kuo forecasts that Apple will update both lines during the third quarter of the year, with the iPad mini gaining a Retina display as the most notable change. He also predicts that the full-size iPad will become considerably slimmer and lighter and adopt the thinner side bezels seen on the iPad mini.

I saw that article. I don't particularly like the prediction that the Macbook Pro is going all-Retina. What about the users who prefer the older style MBPs? The Retina one is not flawless. I read forums like MacRumors and loads of people post about problems they have with them. The Retina display is nice but overpriced. Maybe by the time the second or third generation Retina Macbooks are released there might be less problems with it. As for the iPad there's not really many more changes they can make to it - or is there? Would be nice if they added a USB port.