SQL .bak file problem

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ You actually have management studio at the bottom of downloads in the first link. And I think SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe SQL server with tools should be enough, it contains both server and the studio.
  • LorenzoUKLorenzoUK Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    ^^^ You actually have management studio at the bottom of downloads in the first link. And I think SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe SQL server with tools should be enough.

will the x86 or x64 work with my 32 bit xp version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LorenzoUK wrote: »
    will the x86 or x64 work with my 32 bit xp version?

x86. You need SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe only.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you. Its downloading now... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

after all that, it couldnt create a local server. it kept wanting to create a network server. it failed on logging in.

During set up it asked me for a local server name. I read the help and it said to use network. So I did. Never mind. I will ask client to send me the data extracted to access or excel.

Thank you for all your help guys. It was much appreciated.

:mad::confused::cry::(:o;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's quite a steep hill, to install everything, restore the database, AND extract the data you need if you did not work with MSSQL server before. Good luck with your task.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wanted to install a network server which i did and now it wont connect locally for me to restore a database. Are there any other solutions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wanted to install a network server which i did and now it wont connect locally for me to restore a database. Are there any other solutions?

What is a network server, what did you do? You have only one laptop? Did you call the server instance Network? Or perhaps the server isn't running. Try the following: go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Search for SQL Server in the list. I have there SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS), that's an instance name. Make sure the server is running (status Started). If not, use a context menu to start it. You can change Startup type to automatic, it will start the server when you start the computer. Then start SQL management studio. It should open a Connect to server dialog with the correct server name proposed. If not, use . if there is no name in brackets in Services list or .\SQLEXPRESS (in my case), Windows authentification and connect.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Uninstall the whole thing, and start again.

There are some good YouTube videos showing you how to correctly install SQL Express and create the default first instance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is a network server, what did you do? You have only one laptop? Did you call the server instance Network? Or perhaps the server isn't running. Try the following: go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Search for SQL Server in the list. I have there SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS), that's an instance name. Make sure the server is running (status Started). If not, use a context menu to start it. You can change Startup type to automatic, it will start the server when you start the computer. Then start SQL management studio. It should open a Connect to server dialog with the correct server name proposed. If not, use . if there is no name in brackets in Services list or .\SQLEXPRESS (in my case), Windows authentification and connect.

It is set to automatic and when i open it it has the name of the server already and windows authenticate, it then has this error

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to .\SQLEXPRESS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it marked as Started in Services? Is it called SQLEXPRESS, too? To me it looks like it is not running.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started it and it wouldnt start. Will try again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what it says when i run start in services control panel. Windows could not start the Sql server on local computer. Error code 1814.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started it and it wouldnt start. Will try again.

You have to fix that first. Install another instance, remember the name you entered, do not change anything in the dialogs. When done, check in Services if this new instance is running, start it if not. If it starts, connect to it with the management studio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So install the whole thng again? Uninstall it first?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what it says when i run start in services control panel. Windows could not start the Sql server on local computer. Error code 1814.

This error happens when server cannot write into tempdb. Do you have enough free space on disc? What is there in the last column (Log on as) in Services for the server? I have there Network Service.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a one off job i'd setup a VM running SQL server so you don't cause loads of hassle to your system and if you think you may seriously mess it up you could always copy away your VM before you do anything so the worst that happens is you spend a couple of mins copying back the VM and try again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So install the whole thng again? Uninstall it first?

You can try first to add another instance, just don't change anything except entering the name of the instance. If that does not help, remove everything and start again. You take the first option in the first screen to install the server and then again the first one to install new instance and or the shared tools.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can try first to add another instance, just don't change anything except entering the name of the instance. If that does not help, remove everything and start again. You take the first option in the first screen to install the server and then again the first one to install new instance and or the shared tools.

I am sorry, i am confused by this. I will ask client ti send me the data exported to access or excel.

Or

If i were to reinstall from scratch when i get to naming the instance is where i got stuck as it would only allow a nt server name. Ooh this is confusing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry, i am confused by this. I will ask client ti send me the data exported to access or excel.

Or

If i were to reinstall from scratch when i get to naming the instance is where i got stuck as it would only allow a nt server name. Ooh this is confusing.

As Stig proposed, look at youtube videos. I can talk about it for hours, but it's easier to see it once done and repeat that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJP4D503Tk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will try later. Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to try a reinstall this evening. I might post a message if / when i get stuck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok

so I am on the Server Configuration Service Accounts tab. Under Service there are two tabs, SQL Server Database Engine and SQL server Browser.

In the columns next to this it us blank under account name and password for SQL Server Database Engine and start up type says automatic.

In the columns next to SQL Server Browser it says NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL S... and password is blank and Start up is disabled.

What do I enter in the Account name and password for SQL Server Database Engine? whatever I enter except NT AUTHORITY it throws an error back

[Error Message]
    The specified credentials that were provided for the SQL Server service are not valid. To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server service.

[Details]
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SqlEngine.ValidationException: The specified credentials that were provided for the SQL Server service are not valid. To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server service.

This is what I did last time and could not connect to my local database.

PLease help!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the video they are using NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE, but if it is empty, copy paste there the same thing you have for the browser, just take the whole thing (NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE ?). This can be changed later in Services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok it has accepted that.. I will leave the next screens as they are.