The Avengers 1960s

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fiery Fred! Possibly my favourite Avengers episode, 'Look (Stop Me....) '

Cleese, Cribbins, Jewel, etc. Sublime.

Which also features British-Israeli actor Julian Chagrin, perhaps best known for being the "secret lemonade drinker" in the R Whites adverts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hro4AdTYiTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruT-zTFw1FA

Back in the mid 80s a silent comedy show he made for Israeli TV, The Orchestra was shown on C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwscGUW5FL4
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone get a slight judder on tonight's episode?

Tonight's episode featured Freddie Jones who thesedays is better known as Sandy in Emmerdale!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Anyone get a slight judder on tonight's episode?

Tonight's episode featured Freddie Jones who thesedays is better known as Sandy in Emmerdale!

He's also the father of Toby Jones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've missed out Death's Door and moved on to Return of The Cybernauts
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True seem to be a bit random, this morning it wasn't on for example.

Watched The Hidden Tiger (I'm about a week behind), amusing cameo from Ronnie Barker, taking his milk like a cat :) Gabrielle Drake looking hot.

I also enjoy the way the writers come up with a new "Mrs Peel we're needed" every week. The traffic light one was inspired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone get jumps in picture & sound tonight?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone get jumps in picture & sound tonight?

They also stuck the end credits for Return Of The Cybernauts on the end as well!
  • Ian_StevensIan_Stevens Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Anyone else beginning to feel as if they are in an episode of The Avengers, by just trying to watch and enjoy, with all the missing, out-of-sequence episodes so far!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else beginning to feel as if they are in an episode of The Avengers, by just trying to watch and enjoy, with all the missing, out-of-sequence episodes so far!

It's all part of a dastardly plan!!
    Forum Member
    Missed "Dead Man's Treasure", or will it be on tonight? The mystery "deepens"!!!
    Forum Member
    Missed "Dead Man's Treasure", or will it be on tonight? The mystery "deepens"!!!

Yes, it is!
    Forum Member
    Following this week's pattern, it means that "Murdersville" will be on Friday, instead of "You Have Just Been Murdered"? I need to get a life!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You Have Just Been Murdered on tonight with George Murcell, who along with George Pastell was one of ITC's go-to guys for playing villains, normally of foreign extraction.

If True Entertainment show the Tara King episodes and if they continue to broadcast them in production order that means they'll be showing Tara working with Steed before she starts to work with him (if you catch my meaning)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Roger Delgado didnt have all that work to himself then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So Roger Delgado didnt have all that work to himself then?

Speaking of Doctor Who, Nicholas Courtney aka The Brigadier is in one of the last Emma Peel episodes alongside Kevin Stoney who appeared in Doctor Who three times himself.

Delgado and Courtney appeared in the same episode of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to the Sky EPG True Entertainment will be showing the Tara King episodes starting from tomorrow
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed how disjointed the Ducking stool scene was the other day in Murdersville.

Looks like it was cut to avoid showing the actual ducking.

I assume it was shown in the original.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    According to the Sky EPG True Entertainment will be showing the Tara King episodes starting from tomorrow

Have they shown all the Rigg colour episodes then?

What about The Forget Me Not?
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    I noticed how disjointed the Ducking stool scene was the other day in Murdersville. Looks like it was cut to avoid showing the actual ducking. I assume it was shown in the original.

I noticed that too. It defiantly seemed to have a rough jump-cut as there wasn't even a dunking sound.
    Have they shown all the Rigg colour episodes then?

What about The Forget Me Not?

Only 'The Fear Merchants' was skipped. The Forget Me Knot was on this evening. As Mrs Peel departs, so does my interest.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What really bugs me is the continuity announcer on the end credits. Why does she (almost) always say "Coming up next on True Entertainment" twice, instead of saying "Coming up next on True Drama" for the second announcement?

Surely someone at the station has noticed that it's wrong. Don't they know what's on their own channels?

She did get it right a couple of times recently, but it's gone back to being wrong again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that too. It defiantly seemed to have a rough jump-cut as there wasn't even a dunking sound.

Only 'The Fear Merchants' was skipped. The Forget Me Knot was on this evening. As Mrs Peel departs, so does my interest.

Tara King's ever changing hairstyles(depending on when they were filmed!), got to be worth a look!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's episode had Warren Clarke(Now sadly RIP!) & years before Emmerdale, Chris Chittell!

(Wonder if Chris reminded Linda Thorson of his Avengers guest role when she joined Emmerdale herself?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone like the remix of the theme tune brought in for the Tara King era?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone like the remix of the theme tune brought in for the Tara King era?

Love the trumpet flourish.

They are variable, but am very fond of a lot of Tara King stories. Said before, when they are good they are very very good, and when they are bad....you get Invasion of the Earthmen. Any first time watchers, it gets better....honest. ;-).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame an update to the series was probably never considered.

(Then again 'CI5 - The New Professionals' probably answers that question!)

But if there was, bearing in mind Mrs Peel was reunited with her husband, it's perfectly possible they could have had a child in the intervening years, who grew up to join the 'Organisation' !

(It depends on how you interpret the one scene in the New Avengers (K Is For Kill I think?)where there is a scene where Steed rings a 1977 era Mrs Peel(which was reused 1960's footage!) to discuss a previous case & she informs him she's no longer Mrs Peel! Steed's answer was 'You'll always be Mrs Peel to me!

Reading around the internet reveals Diana Rigg was pregnant around that time, with her daughter (Rachel Stirling).)

Could a updated series featuring Rachel Stirling as 'Miss Peel' with another male partner, plus cameo appearances from the original Mrs Peel work?

The supporting cast needs a bit of thought though.

Would Linda Thorson & Jo Lumley be up for cameos as well?

(I'd guess Pat MacNee would be a definete no due to his age!)