Pick get the UK rights to Z Nation

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Yes :) aw.

It'll take a bit of getting used to fast moving zombies but it's something to watch I guess- til the real thing comes back.

I guess every zombie film/tv series has its own "rules"
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I guess every zombie film/tv series has its own "rules"
    Are they that much faster than the ones in TWD series 1? It's a bit far back for my memory :blush: sure there's the difference between 'chase' and 'herd' though having said that I don't recall them at full running speed and I'm pretty sure they never reached the heady heights of 'sprint'.

But a suspiciously large batch of identically-dressed corpses all having been dumped in the river? Has all the hallmarks of the mad prof hitting the panic button to ditch a bad batch of "I'm sure we can train them" or even "oh dear that cure just made things worse" test subjects...
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it, and I'm glad that I did as I really enjoyed it.

If anybody hasn't seen it yet and intends to, don't expect it to be like The Walking Dead though or you will probably be disappointed.
    It's obviously very similar in the setup, if not a direct ripoff of TWD, but it's treatment is different, and what it does differently it does pretty well.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched it, and I'm glad that I did as I really enjoyed it.

If anybody hasn't seen it yet and intends to, don't expect it to be like The Walking Dead though or you will probably be disappointed.
    It's obviously very similar in the setup, if not a direct ripoff of TWD, but it's treatment is different, and what it does differently it does pretty well.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes.

That may well be to do with the fact that Z Nation is produced by "mockbuster" studio The Asylum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Asylum
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not to the same quality to TWD and the acting isn't as good, but I found it enjoyable. I don't usually like watching in SD, but wanted to check this out, glad I did.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a great series and shouldn't be compared to TWD to me, It doesn't take itself too seriously and it is a lower budget show but it suits my tastes more than the walking dead.
  • SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Great episode looking forward to the next one, a friend told me about Z Nation glad he did.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    not a bad pilot, the zombie baby was creepy and gross, the makeup on the zombies seems ok and i guess being set 3 months into the apocalypse it makes sense that they are not too decomposed (although the baby seemed to decompose quickly)

im guessing z nation will be much more action focused and less character focused, also it seems less serious than the walking dead

one of the things i like about the walking dead is the characters, how the apocalypse is effecting them etc, will continue watching z-nation though,
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not a bad pilot, the zombie baby was creepy and gross, the makeup on the zombies seems ok and i guess being set 3 months into the apocalypse it makes sense that they are not too decomposed (although the baby seemed to decompose quickly)

im guessing z nation will be much more action focused and less character focused, also it seems less serious than the walking dead

one of the things i like about the walking dead is the characters, how the apocalypse is effecting them etc, will continue watching z-nation though,

It's three years since the outbreak IIRC.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    It's three years since the outbreak IIRC.

sorry i knew it was three something, ok disregard
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I thought that was terrific !

shame the soldier got it at the end.......I thought he was going to be a good character

I'm wondering if I missed something - what happened to the girl from the cage ?

Was she still there at the end ?

all in all........very good !

Wasn't that Michael Dawson (Harold Perrineau) from Lost? I would've thought he'd be a main character, not killed off in the first episode.
    Forum Member
    Wasn't that Michael Dawson (Harold Perrineau) from Lost? I would've thought he'd be a main character, not killed off in the first episode.

yes it was

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0674782/
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather enjoyed that.

Yes it was silly nonsense but fun, enjoyable, watchable silly nonsense.

I almost wet myself laughing at the baby :D And I said that the soldier wouldn't be coming back from going to shoot it - killing it was just a plot device to get rid of him.

Loved the nod towards TWD :D

As long as it stays light & stays it's own thing & doesn't become a second rate TWD I think it could work pretty well as a light summer watch.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might just be a nod to this in the latest Sharknado movie. :p
    Forum Member
    Loved the nod towards TWD :D

what nod?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    what nod?

Lt Hammond talked about "an ex-cop and a bunch of people holed up in a prison"
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what nod?
    Lt Hammond talked about "an ex-cop and a bunch of people holed up in a prison"

Yep, that's the one :D
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh christ i forgot about the baby :D

definitely a top five series for me in the past couple of years
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the way that most of it was shot in daylight so we could see what was happening

All the others shows I watch - TWD, Continuum, The 100, Dark Matter etc- seem to have the arty idea that if everything is pitch black the audience has to pay more attention to follow what's going on, so everything is set at night or in rooms with no lighting.

What with that and the mumbling it's a miracle I ever stick with any modern US series......:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was also a zombie baby in the 2004 remake of Dawn Of The Dead
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No spoilers here but just watch for the 'Liberty Bell' in the next episode, absolutely hilarious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Yes :) aw.

It'll take a bit of getting used to fast moving zombies but it's something to watch I guess- til the real thing comes back.

I watched it again last night and I think there was a line in it where someone says that some zombies moved really quickly so that they must have turned very recently.
    Maybe they move more slowly the longer they are dead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I find it hard to believe that Harold Perrineau is actually 51.:o
    For some reason I've always thought of him being much younger.
    The first thing I remember him was in the prison drama 'Oz' in which he was great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else catch the reference to The Walking Dead when Lt Hammond talked about "an ex-cop and a bunch of people holed up in a prison"??

I watched it again and caught what I think might be another reference to TWD.
    When confronted on whether they should leave the baby with the woman they found and leave them to it or not, I think it was the Harold Perrineau character who said "I hate moral dilemmas'. Which of course is one of the main characteristic traits of TWD and is something which features in just about every episode.

I do get the feeling that it was a subtle reference due to how the line seemed to be delivered with extra emphasis, although it may just be a coincidence.
  • Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it again last night and I think there was a line in it where someone says that some zombies moved really quickly so that they must have turned very recently.
    Maybe they move more slowly the longer they are dead?

Yes, you're quite right. You'd be forgiven for just thinking WD was just slow zombies, but there's a clear progression from fast/alert to slow/less alert throghout the seasons. I didn't remember fast zombies until the repeats of earlier seasons..some can even climb and hold objects. Basic attributes that make sense for a just-turned zombie could instinctively do, to be honest.