Options

New Series - Dark Matter (UK Pace)

Comments

• Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I called it 'filler' because (last I heard) it's only a 13 ep run. In such a short time with no guarantee of a second series you should be pushing the story. Not that they need to reveal everything at once. But 30 seconds of 'the girl has all our memories' and 6 seconds at the very end isn't enough. Not for episode 3.
    I have nothing against stand alone episodes (I really liked early SG-1 for example).
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Whatever you want to call it I just thought it was a poor episode - and it's only the 3rd.

It's a filler series, let alone episode. :)

SyFy is getting lazy IMO.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I called it 'filler' because (last I heard) it's only a 13 ep run. In such a short time with no guarantee of a second series you should be pushing the story. Not that they need to reveal everything at once. But 30 seconds of 'the girl has all our memories' and 6 seconds at the very end isn't enough. Not for episode 3.
    I have nothing against stand alone episodes (I really liked early SG-1 for example).

From that point of view I can kind of see your point but I'm not sure they can really reveal very much at all without giving the whole game away. I think it would just be frustrating if they concentrated any significant part of the episodes on the mystery if they aren't going to reveal the answers until episode 13! It would just be one more frustrating unanswered question after another until the reveal at the end. I mean, if the mystery can be explained by a few lines of "X did Y to you because of Z" then what can they really show in the other 12 episodes that would satisfy?

I just see the mystery as the backdrop used to introduce the characters and their situation. It's not the point of the show, it's the crew's adventures that I think are the point of the show which I'm enjoying whether we find out their full story or not.

It's fun to speculate, though, and based on the trailer for the next epsiode, I'm wondering if they might all just be clones. They have no memories simply because they aren't the originals and, therefore, they never actually eperienced anything to have memories about! The program that was introduced into their cryosleep was supposed to implant the memories of their counterparts into them but it malfunctioned. Maybe it just shoved all of the memories into Five by mistake. That would explain things :)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    From that point of view I can kind of see your point but I'm not sure they can really reveal very much at all without giving the whole game away. I think it would just be frustrating if they concentrated any significant part of the episodes on the mystery if they aren't going to reveal the answers until episode 13! It would just be one more frustrating unanswered question after another until the reveal at the end. I mean, if the mystery can be explained by a few lines of "X did Y to you because of Z" then what can they really show in the other 12 episodes that would satisfy?

I just see the mystery as the backdrop used to introduce the characters and their situation. It's not the point of the show, it's the crew's adventures that I think are the point of the show which I'm enjoying whether we find out their full story or not.

It's fun to speculate, though, and based on the trailer for the next epsiode, I'm wondering if they might all just be clones. They have no memories simply because they aren't the originals and, therefore, they never actually eperienced anything to have memories about! The program that was introduced into their cryosleep was supposed to implant the memories of their counterparts into them but it malfunctioned. Maybe it just shoved all of the memories into Five by mistake. That would explain things :)[/QUOTE]

thats a cool lil storyline

i didnt really enjoy eps 3 too much truth be told. the basic storyline of saving a crew member would have worked well on firefly or bsg etc, but on this show its too early to care for the characters. shame

still sticking with it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone watch it last night? starting to enjoy it more now, the overall mystery is intriguing.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    anyone watch it last night? starting to enjoy it more now, the overall mystery is intriguing.

Yes.........it does look as though the advert that was playing in the Doctor's surgery is pointing us towards the crew being clones

But it's not clear why you would want to carry out the mission with clones when the originals were ready to go........as the original number one was

One thing that might put me off this show is if it introduces all the 'originals' and then we have confusion within the storylines as to which is the clone and which is the original.........if I have to concentrate and think about it I'll probably give it up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought jason said number 1 wasnt a clone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's definitely getting intriguing.

They said clones only have a few days shelf life so I'm not sure they're clones now. Also, Ishido has his family ring and that's not something a clone of him would have.

I suspect One might have been a detective infiltrating the group undercover. The others might still be their actual criminal selves, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i thought jason said number 1 wasnt a clone?

I thought he said he hadn't being scanned for the cloning programme but I guess it's possible he was scanned without his knowledge.......whilst undergoing some medical treatment or having been drugged or something

I guess it's also possible that number one is the original and 'Jason' is the clone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a much better episode.

The advert tried to throw us a curve about consciousness transfers but then they say that clones only survive 3 days. It's been well over a week since they woke up. But just because they say that doesn't make it true.

Starting to form a theory.
    None of them are part of the proper Raza crew. Who are tucked away behind door number 1 in some kind of cryo-sleep/suspended animation. They use random mercs to do their jobs and that's why nobody has ever seen them (as stated by the miner in ep.2)
    1 is some kind of space cop and engineered his way onto the Raza as part of an investigation. Possibly into the disappearance/murder of the miner who went looking for help. Have a feeling 6 is his partner.

We know that 1 is a copy.
    'Original' Jace didn't recognise 3, so I don't think he's a member of the crew either.
    You can pretty much rule out the young girl. I have a feeling she's the sister of 2.
    Mr Badass, 4, is now revealed as the heir to some mega powerful family/conglomerate and is on the run after (allegedly) offing Pops.
    So that just leaves 2 & 6.
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed any picture stutter when watching this show on Syfy HD. I noticed it both on episodes 2 and 3.
  • Options
    F2kSelF2kSel Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed any picture stutter when watching this show on Syfy HD. I noticed it both on episodes 2 and 3.

I've seen alot of stutter lately on several channels, One channel was so bad I switched off it was more like running at 12 fps and another had so much pixelation I couldn't recognise peoples face. I'm only running in SD though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lack of budget dont help. the sets are minimal(but they do a good job for most part)

more than anything lack of aliens annoys me, firefly could get away with it because of whedons writing, stargate writers cannot really compare.

if it was only humans for story sake that would be cool but its basically down to lack of money that they aint in.

still bottom line is the shows improving which is a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lack of budget dont help. the sets are minimal(but they do a good job for most part)

more than anything lack of aliens annoys me, firefly could get away with it because of whedons writing, stargate writers cannot really compare.

if it was only humans for story sake that would be cool but its basically down to lack of money that they aint in.

still bottom line is the shows improving which is a good thing.

You never know. The young miner described the Raza as lizards. (yes, it turned out to be the name of the ship but legends often have basis in fact)
    And who knows what's behind the door.
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was a fun episode. Hope they keep it up.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Yep. I'm still here and yes, it's bedding-in nicely.

There's a thread floating around based on the subject of "shows you have dropped after one episode". Why would you ever do that? :confused: I always give shows at least three or four episodes if I can. Sometimes more.
    Chris_TV wrote: »
    Can't say I have. Watching via VM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    F2kSel wrote: »
    I've seen alot of stutter lately on several channels, One channel was so bad I switched off it was more like running at 12 fps and another had so much pixelation I couldn't recognise peoples face. I'm only running in SD though.

Interference from the recent thunderstorms perhaps?

I've not noticed anything myself.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I generally don't have an issue with older actors playing younger characters, but I think the thing that annoys me the most is the way the show keeps tying to reinforce to the audience that there's such a big age gap between Five and the rest of the crew. They can call her kid or child all they like, she doesn't look that much younger than some of the rest of them. The actress is 21 and doesn't look that far from that, she looks somewhere between 16 & 18, but by the way they keep talking about/to her you'd think she's 12 or something.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

I guess it's also possible that number one is the original and 'Jason' is the clone

I reckon everyone watching thinks that
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I generally don't have an issue with older actors playing younger characters, but I think the thing that annoys me the most is the way the show keeps tying to reinforce to the audience that there's such a big age gap between Five and the rest of the crew. They can call her kid or child all they like, she doesn't look that much younger than some of the rest of them. The actress is 21 and doesn't look that far from that, she looks somewhere between 16 & 18, but by the way they keep talking about/to her you'd think she's 12 or something.

Either way she is the youngest member of the crew so the others are bound to call her "kid"
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I was going to make the same point.

Even got to as far as asking a crew member if he wanted to play, like she's an 8yr old child or something.

As for the episode, did the android not think is was strange that 1 came back the the ship alone with different clothes and hairstyle then later on reverted back to clothes and hairstyle.
    Also she would have noticed the different pheremones.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Even got to as far as asking a crew member if he wanted to play, like she's an 8yr old child or something.
    Well, the character seems to be a mashup of River from Firefly and the one from Andromeda who had a tail.
    The robot also seems to be a mixture of Romy (also from Andromeda), Stan Laurel and Lt. Cmdr Data.

So far, it's difficult to identify any character, thread or story line that the show has which shows any glimmer of originality. Now on it's own that's not too bad (as one could argue that any piece of music is a combination of the "same old" notes that every other piece of music uses) but unlike a decent piece of music, this show doesn't seem to have the composition, dramatic timing or depth that would engage an audience.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its picked up a bit after the 3rd(?) episode was a bit poor, the cast has blended into their roles better than it looked like was going to happen. Its a new show and its watchable enough. This is prize winning stuff for me after watching Mr Robot and Supergirl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good episode tonight !

zombies always liven things up........:o

I like the way that every episode ends on a bit of a cliffhanger........so what is Two ?

Clone ?, robot ?........presumably not a robot or the AI would detect that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    turned it off after 30 mins yesterday, i was too busy doing other things and not taking it in at all,will try again tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zombies are so much the 'in thing' right now that we even get them in the future in deep space.

Wondered why the timeslot changed (causing havoc with other recordings, True Detective, The Brink).

I'm going with either nano-tech or genetic engineering (or maybe a combination of both) to explain 2.

One thing though. When 5 told them about the 'vault' 2 asked if anyone had been down there before but they all had. I'm pretty sure it was the room with the lockers full of gear from ep.1.