STAR TREK: a new series

Comments

• Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Being honest I didn't even realise there was this big massive feud with Star Trek and doctor who fans until dalekbuster mentioned it in this thread. I must be living under a rock or something

Quite simply, because there isn't. Only in the tiny minds of certain nerd (not geek) types.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to provoke, I'm trying to stop the rivalry you see everywhere between the two factions because it's annoying and I don't see why everyone can't get along. As a Whovian, I have no problems with Trekkies yet you even see members of both sides hitting the news for fighting each other at conventions.

Not seen if any of it is going on in this thread but it is time both the fandom I'm part of and Trekkies shaked hands and agree to get along.

Even by Dalekbuster's standards that is superb bollocks. Now Babylon 5 vs Star Trek, that was proper naughty...
  • L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it have more ghosts?
  • James_PicardJames_Picard Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    never ever knew of a trek vs who rivalry. trek vs wars is well known.
    I like most of them. love Battlestar galactica as well (old and knew).
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's much too soon for a new series. At least another decade or more needed to wipe out the stench of the last 2 series & the Abrams movies.
    Enterprise kinda found its way under Manny Coto but was too little too late. Voyager was a screaming pile of shit.

I don't think Abrams was to blame for the movies though; he's a decent director. The real culprits were Orci and Kurtzman who are the worst writers in Hollywood.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, what Who v Trek rivalry?
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    I don't think Abrams was to blame for the movies though; he's a decent director. The real culprits were Orci and Kurtzman who are the worst writers in Hollywood.
    The films have been generally very well received, by fans and the general public alike (first one more than the second one). Any new series will most likely be a spin off from the films.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    The films have been generally very well received,
    I think a lot of people had to watch the first one a couple of times just to get past the 'not the same people' hurdle. I haven't actually seen the second one so I don't know about that but I did like the first one even if I didn't like the over-use of certain shall-remain-nameless cinematic devices!
    Any new series will most likely be a spin off from the films.
    I would certainly hope so - in the sense that if we are now OK with the reboot and different timeline then doing something to continue the old timeline would be a bit pointless and really annoying because every mention of anything would have someone piping up about how that never would have happened in the 'original' timeline.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they did a new series I would like to see something set outside of United Federation.
    A rogue crew or maybe a non human crew who have conflict with the way the Federation runs things?
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    Or why someone has to be Man U OR Leeds (football teams :D:p)

No, there's absolutely no way on this green Earth that anyone should be a Man U and a Leeds United fan, sorry :D
  • daz100daz100 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Prime timeline set after voyager and they will be sorted. They have an established fan base and can call on the old actors every now and then to guest.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    No, there's absolutely no way on this green Earth that anyone should be a Man U and a Leeds United fan, sorry :D

Are you starting??? >:(

Come on, then, if you think yer ard enough :P
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I think a new Trek series should be set around the same time period as TNG (not a reboot of TNG) but in the new timeline with an all new Enterprise and crew. Less zoomy in and out cgi shots (they just annoy me for some reason) and more cinematic sweeping shots. No camera shaky fight sequences zoomed in so that you cant see what is happening either. A similar set up of 7 main characters, reusing the Star Trek theme tune and no time travel or time vortex stories (I do particularly like them but feel that they were overdone in Trek). No holodeck and namby pamby Data.

I would prefer a series of 13 episodes to kick off, increasing to a maximum of around 18 for each season afterwards. A defined story arc for each season and an over reaching story arc plan for 5 years. Bookend the series, but allow the characters a chance to shine on the big screen if required.

If the series were to follow on the year following the release of the third film, a new Trek series could be on air in 2018/2019 followed by a big screen movie of the new crew in 2026.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    I quite like the idea of a lost star ship ala voyager but without the unesssary filler. I always thought it was a nice idea but poor execution

I agree. It had the potential to be the best Trek series, as it had the best premise. The problem was the awful cast and characters, especially Neelix, the horrible alien species they would meet (those guys with the pretzel things on their heads??) and the way it just became formulaic Trek but without the heart.

If I were to do a Trek series, I might follow the marooned ship idea, and would have a Romulan crew member, particularly one like Bochra from The Enemy episode of ST:TNG. I would have him as completely untrustworthy, and morally dubious, a bit like Kerr Avon in Blake's 7. :D

The other person I would like, perhaps as a gruff First Officer to a young, inexperienced captain, would be David Roberts, the guy who played Captain Roland in The Matrix films,
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Star trek does return, i hope it has standalone episodes. Too many shows are serialized. Plus past star shows were not arc heavy anyway, apart from DS9 which weaved between arc and standalone.
    Forum Member
    If Star trek does return, i hope it has standalone episodes. Too many shows are serialized. Plus past star shows were not arc heavy anyway, apart from DS9 which weaved between arc and standalone.

I personally like a mixture of both.

mostly standalone but occasionally I would like a couple of seasons with a serialized story arc from start to finish.

don't think we shud set it in TNG time period. the 24th century already has 3 shows (TNG/ DS9 & VOY).
    set it 25th century I say or even further in the future. just think of all the crazy technology you could invent. infact one voyager episode I liked was one where they briefly went between the 24th century and 29th century- and you could see what Starfleet looked liked in the 29th century. uniforms and ships had a slightly different look obviously.
    Jay karnes (the guy from the shield) was in that episode).
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah a mixture of both is good but not entirely arc based. It gets too much. I miss standalone episodes from shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I agree. It had the potential to be the best Trek series, [...] just became formulaic Trek but without the heart.
    Though it did have its moments - there's probably a viewing list out there somewhere that has all the good bits, presumably held together with odd joiner episodes to fill in the continuity info.

Anyway...
    The other person I would like, perhaps as a gruff First Officer to a young, inexperienced captain, would be David Roberts, the guy who played Captain Roland in The Matrix films,
    I can see the merit in that as a fairly plausible scenario - though the theme of the experienced sarge guiding the green loo-tenun is a fairly frequently-played one. Doesn't make it wrong, and if done well wouldn't get the accusation worded too unfavourably!

Plus I'd be a little hesitant to try and put it too far into the future as we get further and further into 'magic' territory and less about the human experience because it turns into an SFX show with the occasional talking head. Depends on the writing of course.
    Forum Member
    I can see the merit in that as a fairly plausible scenario - though the theme of the experienced sarge guiding the green loo-tenun is a fairly frequently-played one. Doesn't make it wrong, and if done well wouldn't get the accusation worded too unfavourably!

Yeah, it is a bit of a common trope I admit. I kind of like the idea of a character relationship arc that would see the first officer at first be contemptuous and cynical about his posting with such a green superior, but then grow to respect him (or her?) as the show progressed, in line with the captain's growth at the same time. As you say, probably done to death already.

I also like the idea of a Romulan on board. If it were a "lost ship" scenario, he could initially be a prisoner, but due to the practicalities of incarceration for the trip home, be assimilated into the crew to assist. That too could be an interesting character arc as he would have a tense relationship with the rest of the crew. I guess "The Maquis" already did this too.

All Trekkie fanboy stuff anyway. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... be assimilated into the crew ...
    Concept clearly nicked from the intro of "The Happy Borg" trilogy :p
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think another campaign like the save enterprise one of late 2005 might work. Back then there was not much to go on but now we have stuff like Netflix that they could launch a Star Trek show on. Base the show in the prime timeline and let the reboots continue as movies.
    Forum Member
    Concept clearly nicked from the intro of "The Happy Borg" trilogy :p

Ha ha, yeah. An apt, but probably wrong choice of word to use. :D
    Forum Member

I also like the idea of a Romulan on board. If it were a "lost ship" scenario, he could initially be a prisoner, but due to the practicalities of incarceration for the trip home, be assimilated into the crew to assist. That too could be an interesting character arc as he would have a tense relationship with the rest of the crew. I guess "The Maquis" already did this too.

I like the idea of a new alien minority being aboard.

maybe we can pick up in an era when humans and romulans are allies. romulans r serving aboard Starfleet vessels. kinda like with what TNG did to worf.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the idea of a new alien minority being aboard.

maybe we can pick up in an era when humans and romulans are allies. romulans r serving aboard Starfleet vessels. kinda like with what TNG did to worf.

It would be interesting to see how the destruction of Romulus affected the galactic political landscape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a new alien minority being aboard. ...
    I recall reading a pearl of wisdom inscribed by a certain Mr. Pratchett, along the lines of the unifying effect of the discovery of aliens - and having one on board would certainly give the opportunity to demonstrate how good it is that petty human racism is indeed a thing of the past when old differences can be put aside as black and white can get together and gang up on green.