Options

STAR TREK: a new series

Comments

• Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how the destruction of Romulus affected the galactic political landscape.
    That would be an interesting one depending on the 'when' of it - less Vulcans now, but also with the knowledge that soon enough there will be less Romulans too. Do the Romulans then start work on how to stop a supernova or is it easier to move a planet or even their entire solar system? Or do they decide that actually earth looks quite nice, we'll be having that if you don't mind...?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be an interesting one depending on the 'when' of it - less Vulcans now, but also with the knowledge that soon enough there will be less Romulans too. Do the Romulans then start work on how to stop a supernova or is it easier to move a planet or even their entire solar system? Or do they decide that actually earth looks quite nice, we'll be having that if you don't mind...?
    Well in the new timeline, knowing a supernova will destroy Romulus in a couple of hundred years would certainly sharpen their survival instincts, potentially making them a more aggressive threat.
  • Options
    James_PicardJames_Picard Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    NO

mine would definitely be in the 'prime timeline'. the same continuity as the TV shows. even though they are fun action films keep the reboot movies as far away as possible from my show thank you.

guest appearances from past trek alumni as well. guest appearance from an 100 year old Jordi la forge anyone?? :):)
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is that there has been almost 800 episodes over the various series which means it's going to be difficult to come up with several series worth of new plots, so they'll probably end up recycling them again.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't anyone else see the kickstarter campaign for Star Trek:Renegades ?
    As a backer I was given access to an early viewing of the completed episode and it was good. They're doing a cinema premier somewhere soon and I think pitching it to TV companies.
    http://startrekrenegades.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WOW that actually looks really good and professional. walter koening, tim russ and Robert picardo are in it. that's awesome.

trek has such a devoted fanbase it must be a matter of time. plus I think the new movies are popular amongst a newer set of fans (not just ur typical sci-fi fans). that can only help to raise public awareness.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I recall reading a pearl of wisdom inscribed by a certain Mr. Pratchett, along the lines of the unifying effect of the discovery of aliens - and having one on board would certainly give the opportunity to demonstrate how good it is that petty human racism is indeed a thing of the past when old differences can be put aside as black and white can get together and gang up on green.

One of the problems with Star Trek is that most of the series (DS9 excepted) have been basically a planet of the week. I've said for a long time that they should go back even further than Enterprise and start a series 2 minutes after the end of First Contact - how was the world rebuilt. Kind of Trek to the Stars rather than a Trek through the Stars.

That would give a lot of drama and conflict but with a definite end point - as in the founding of star fleet and the development of the first trans-solar journey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... That would give a lot of drama and conflict but with a definite end point - as in the founding of star fleet and the development of the first trans-solar journey.
    On the basis that war (even a cold one) is usually far more interesting than peace, and notwithstanding any previous remarks about whizzbangery, space battles usually have a point to them rather than just being there to look pretty. I could even help them by reinstalling Homeworld and record me playing a few levels of that so they have some scenes of exploding ships from the perspective of the losing side :blush:

Title would be tricky, covering a War of the Trek to the Stars and Other Worlds though they could also create a spinoff law drama based around the copyright and naming shenanigans which could go on for *years* if they plan it right...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One of the problems with Star Trek is that most of the series (DS9 excepted) have been basically a planet of the week. I've said for a long time that they should go back even further than Enterprise and start a series 2 minutes after the end of First Contact - how was the world rebuilt. Kind of Trek to the Stars rather than a Trek through the Stars.

That would give a lot of drama and conflict but with a definite end point - as in the founding of star fleet and the development of the first trans-solar journey.

its an idea but it would run out of steam so quickly. if you can only travel at WARP 1 you cant go anywhere. and the only alien race in it would be Vulcans and humans weren't fighting them.
    put simply it would be BORING (no offence).

what's the exact difference between Starfleet & the federation? the end of enterprise shows the birth of federation. but I guess Starfleet itself preceded archer.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    Didn't anyone else see the kickstarter campaign for Star Trek:Renegades ?
    As a backer I was given access to an early viewing of the completed episode and it was good. They're doing a cinema premier somewhere soon and I think pitching it to TV companies.
    http://startrekrenegades.com/

I like that. I'd definitely give it a good chance if it came to series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So long as it isn't that dreadful Worf show idea that the guy who used to play Worf has been completely unable to let go of for like A DECADE. Get over it, man. It won't happen and Worf just wasn't that good. Good, but not that good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is that there has been almost 800 episodes over the various series which means it's going to be difficult to come up with several series worth of new plots, so they'll probably end up recycling them again.
    Wow. So, er, how do all the thousands of tv shows set on earth manage?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Title would be tricky, covering a War of the Trek to the Stars and Other Worlds though they could also create a spinoff law drama based around the copyright and naming shenanigans which could go on for *years* if they plan it right...

They could guarantee success by calling it Star Trek: N C I S.

I guess Starfleet being navy and US based would have an NCIS to investigate all shennanigans out there.

If not, then it could stand for New Crew in Starship and it would at least attract the hundreds of millions who watch Gibbs and co and have never seen Star Trek.

Seriously, though, that Renegades pilot linked above looks interesting. You would think someone like Netflix might go for it were it not for the reported lack of desire by the rights holders to run anything on TV whilst the movies are doing okay.

A lot of people other than Worf have tried to get ideas through to the TV bosses since Enterprise without success.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    NO STAR TREK TV SHOW IN A DECADE NOW. the reboot movies are a financial success though. ITS TIME FOR A TREK REBOOT. AL THE TREKKIES WANNA over the world wanna see the biggest sci-fi franchise back on the TV.

so here we go. who do u wanna see cast in the reboot.

heres MY PITCH: set in the 25 century. starring Christian bale as the captain. the starship U.S.S TITAN.
    also featuring Emily van camp, Emilia Clarke, Idris Elba, Tricia Helfer and Willem Dafoe.
    and we can have the enigmatic Neil Patrick 'NPH' Harris as the omnipotent Q. (maybe this is a different Q).

guest appearances from Trek alumni will occur and the occasional spooky resonance of John Delancie's voice will continue to follow the Titan around the galaxy wherever it goes.

what do you think?

I'm sorry, but do you have any concept of what's realistic?

Several of those people aren't going to do TV, several others are really busy with current lucrative projects, and the idea overall would have to be a lot more solid than the scraps you've provided (plus your idea doesn't seem to gel very realistically with the movie reboot).
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it have more ghosts?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

I'm fairly certain I read there can't be a tv show while this series of movies is ongoing.

I would be curious about it tho, if only because presumably all the central ideas, plot lines, structure of what tv Trek was from 1987-2005 would be thrown out the window, be interesting to see something new.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could guarantee success by calling it Star Trek: N C I S.

I guess Starfleet being navy and US based would have an NCIS to investigate all shennanigans out there.

If not, then it could stand for New Crew in Starship and it would at least attract the hundreds of millions who watch Gibbs and co and have never seen Star Trek.

Seriously, though, that Renegades pilot linked above looks interesting. You would think someone like Netflix might go for it were it not for the reported lack of desire by the rights holders to run anything on TV whilst the movies are doing okay.

A lot of people other than Worf have tried to get ideas through to the TV bosses since Enterprise without success.

Sarcasm aside, a Starship crew that investigates when **** goes wrong at various colonies, star bases, starships etc. could actually work, as weird as it sounds.

Unless it's NEW Trek, nothing will get made. I doubt even NEW Trek would get made because it would be classed as stealing thunder from the movies currently being made.

The NEW movies have been decent movies, but they haven't been Star Trek. Some of the actors get their roles spot on, it's true, but the movies other than "Star Trek theme spray-painted onto the movie" don't feel like Trek. To me at least.

I've been watching TNG again pretty much every day, and to see what Trek is missing is depressing for a Trek fan. The Trek we love is gone and it's never coming back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kromm wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but do you have any concept of what's realistic?

Several of those people aren't going to do TV, several others are really busy with current lucrative projects, and the idea overall would have to be a lot more solid than the scraps you've provided (plus your idea doesn't seem to gel very realistically with the movie reboot).

THERES A SIMPLE REASON FOR THAT.
    I WANT IT TO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MOVIE REBOOT WHATSOEVER.

PRIME TIMELINE.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The NEW movies have been decent movies, but they haven't been Star Trek. Some of the actors get their roles spot on, it's true, but the movies other than "Star Trek theme spray-painted onto the movie" don't feel like Trek. To me at least.

I've been watching TNG again pretty much every day, and to see what Trek is missing is depressing for a Trek fan. The Trek we love is gone and it's never coming back.

completely agree which is why I certainly wouldn't want a new show to go with the reboot timeline.

their both fun but it isn't quite the Trek we know and love. its high on action and not so high on philosophy. watching Chris pine next to Patrick Stewart and William Shatner is just so sad for the real core Trek fan. he's just a modern teen movie icon type and those two were so churchillian or Shakespearean in the way they delivered all their speeches. I miss that.
    also spock and Uhura dating? spock running around smashing people to a pulp- it's just not the same :(
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how the destruction of Romulus affected the galactic political landscape.

I'd like any new Star Trek series to be a mini-series with a strong story arc to give it the depth and gravitas the last two movies lack. Fun as they were and much as l enjoyed them, especially the new take on Kirk, Spock and McCoy, they are just lightweight action adventure and not proper Star Trek to me.

It would be great to see the aftermath of the destruction of Romulus in the prime timeline. Perhaps the Borg or a new foe arrives in the alpha quadrant, vying with the Federation and known enemies to take advantage of the resulting chaos and power vacuum. Perhaps this foe caused the supernova. Perhaps it was the result of political machinations within Starfleet or the Federation. Did Remus escape destruction? What about remaining Romulan colonies and outposts?

I wish.... :)
  • Options
    sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to propose a new show called Terek Nor's Got Talent, set during the Cardassian occupation of Bajor. Quark's Bar is used as front for resistance fighters infiltrating Bajor, under the guise of audtioning for Quark's legendary talent progamme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I agree.......They should also use holographic graphics to reproduce William Shatner as a high flying tap dancer who does a dance piece with a rondo styled musical accompaniment .Starting with "singing in the rain" then merging on to one of his own............. " There's something on the wing .....Something.... Tap Tap" (from the 1975 bootleg pressing ) and then back to "singing in the rain" with maybe a change in key.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.......They should also use holographic graphics to reproduce William Shatner as a high flying tap dancer who does a dance piece with a rondo styled musical accompaniment .Starting with "singing in the rain" then merging on to one of his own............. " There's something on the wing .....Something.... Tap Tap" (from the 1975 bootleg pressing ) and then back to "singing in the rain" with maybe a change in key.

Let us not forget the Fierce Klingon warrior K'arl-ton son of B'anks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    Let us not forget the Fierce Klingon warrior K'arl-ton son of B'anks.
    And the actor who performed Shakespeare in the original Klingon, the great K'Neth Br'nAgh :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the actor who performed Shakespeare in the original Klingon, the great K'Neth Br'nAgh :p

Lmao :D

played by Jackson Hedley :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0582551/ :D
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Wow. So, er, how do all the thousands of tv shows set on earth manage?

Right, so you'd be quite happy with CSI: Star Trek or some other repetitive, predictable type sci-fi show?