Options

Fake SSD Drive?

TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi I've just installed a Samsung 850 EVO (250GB) from Amazon and it's awfully slow.

248/170 MB/s (Read/Write) . It should be closer to 500MB/s for both

This is in AS SSD Benchmark, AHCI is recognised msahci - OK

Any ideas as to what the situation is?

http://i.imgur.com/cvq8vCF.png

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What spec is the SATA interface in your computer? If it is SATA III then it should be able to hit the 500MB rate the drive is specc'ed at. But if it is SATA II then it may only reach the speeds your test has given.

See this
    http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, some AMD drivers don't work well with SSD. Might be worth checking for updates if you are on that platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What spec is the SATA interface in your computer? If it is SATA III then it should be able to hit the 500MB rate the drive is specc'ed at. But if it is SATA II then it may only reach the speeds your test has given.

See this
    http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

Of course! me stupid. It's SATA II.

A puzzle why the write is so slow, I'll investigate drivers as 'shhftw' has suggested.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strangely a reboot changes the numbers: 258/238 (r/w)

Then back down to 248/170 at the next reboot.

Tried "chipset" driver install, no different.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Crucial M550 on my 7 year old motherboard with SATA II gets 263MB 254MB if that's any use to you.
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That reminds me, I recently had to upgrade my SSD on my 4-year-old system, and now it has the lowest score on the Windows performance index (7.3 vs 7.5 elsewhere). Can't remember which drive but it was well-reviewed.

Must investigate more...is this AS SSD benchmark a decent tool?

Edit: Twas also an EVO 850, but 500GB. And it is running the W7 64bit installation that was imaged from the old SSD.
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, it seems the OP has Sata 2 so not directly comparable. I'll start a new thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update.

Not really amazing perfomance boost from this SSD, I suppose that's down to my sata II laptop and the fact I had a 7200rpm HDD in their before.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Update.

Not really amazing perfomance boost from this SSD, I suppose that's down to my sata II laptop and the fact I had a 7200rpm HDD in their before.

I'm surprised it isn't much better than the 7200rpm HD - did you clone the install or fresh windows install onto the SSD?

I've installed SSD's onto Sata2 computers to replace 7200rpm drives and the difference is still massive and very noticable.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you checked the serial number on the Samsung Magician software, will tell you if it's genuine.

I have one and my write speed is higher than the read for some reason, takes some messing about to get it up to what the advertising hype says it's capable of.

299 MB/s Read 503 MB/s Write

Up to 540
    Up to 520.

57726 (IOPS) Random Read 56886 Random Write

Up to 97000
    Up to 88000

Mine are pretty bad, only had it a few weeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Seems within range for Sata II.

I had a few systems that I upgraded that had those speeds. Then when I upgraded motherboards (with Sata III) and I re-benched with ASS I was like wow!

I just checked my notes. I have a 840 128gb that is currently on a Sata II board with an old Athlon II x3.

ASS results:

Seq 249 read with 121 write
    4k 15 read with 23 write
    4k-64thrd 150 read 88 write
    0.196 ms acc time read and 0.461 acc time write

191 read score 122 write

Overall, 409.

Pretty poor scores really, but still feels snappy compared to a hard drive.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.