does anyone else wish clara was a "normal" companion

garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
Forum Member
just wish she stayed as oswin or clara and all this nonsense would be over.

Comments

• sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    just wish she stayed as oswin or clara and all this nonsense would be over.

So far, she is a regular person.

It's what might have already happened or could be happening around her that's the mystery, right now at least.

So for the last 4 episodes at least, you've had a regular (sorry, despise the word 'normal' being used outside of maths or science...) person as a companion...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'She's just a normal girl'
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She thinks she is normal. She doesn't know she has somehow been brought back from the dead twice and lived different lives in different time zones. If I was her I would not be happy to find out the doctor has been lying too her and keeping secrets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    No! Where's the fun in that?
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is 'nonsense'. There have been threads like this already why make another. If she's not the companion you hoped or expected then that's your fault.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is normal though. The Doctor took her to the psychic with the hidden motive of checking that out. The psychic said she's normal.

If there's something special going on then it hasn't happened yet. Likely travelling with the doctor will mean something will happen to her which causes her to appear as 2 other people at 2 other times.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    She is a normal companion.

Having a mystery doesn't lessen her as a character in the slightest.

Besides as people, don't we all have mysteries?
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she isn't normal now - hold off until Series 8, I guess :p
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    If she's not the companion you hoped or expected then that's your fault.

Huh? It might be their "problem", but their fault? That makes very little sense to me.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? It might be their "problem", but their fault? That makes very little sense to me.

How? Why? If they have hopes and expectations an they aren't met it's their fault for having those hopes and expectations.

For example, I would love 8 to be in the 50th but I won't get my hopes up because I know I'm likely to be disappointed. If you watch something hoping for a certain thing and it doesn't happen it's got nothing to do with the writers/producers, it's their fault.

Sorry OP this isn't necessarily aimed at you, just people who want things that aren't forced to happen.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit that after Amy and now with Clara, I do have a hankering for the days when the companion was just a companion, with nothing strange about them.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wish Clara had a personality. I don't care if it's 'normal' or not. She's just so incredibly bland and insipid.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish Clara had a personality. I don't care if it's 'normal' or not. She's just so incredibly bland and insipid.

Yes she is very stage school type.

I do wish she was a normal companion though, the so called 'mystery' is annoying.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Nah, I quite like the mystery around her. I do wish Victorian Clara had been the one who would travel with The Doctor though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I hope the next Companion isn't even a human at all.

We haven't had a single (onscreen) non-human Companion since Turlough left.

I want a male alien Companion to be introduced in either mid to late Series 8.

Then, when it comes time for Clara to leave, he can have some solo adventures with the Doctor before the next Companion comes along.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that after Amy and now with Clara, I do have a hankering for the days when the companion was just a companion, with nothing strange about them.

Same. I don't mind the mystery element, just I prefer to get to know the character a bit first if that was possible. For me it took a lot of series 5 to warm to Amy and with only a few episodes in this run I don't think the same is going to happen yet with Clara.

I don't mind her character, but I don't feel like I care enough about her yet for the whole whats going on with her to work as a plot yet. I find Moffat seems jumps in head first with characters. They are decent, but theres little time for adjustment.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    Personally, I hope the next Companion isn't even a human at all.

We haven't had a single (onscreen) non-human Companion since Turlough left.

I want a male alien Companion to be introduced in either mid to late Series 8.

Then, when it comes time for Clara to leave, he can have some solo adventures with the Doctor before the next Companion comes along.

Yes, I've said before that I find it odd how, with all of time and space at his feet, The Doctor almost invariably ends up travelling with humans from present-day Britain (and usually young females at that).

I can appreciate that this is supposed to make the companion easier for the audience to relate to, but why not have a second companion from a different time or even a different planet? It would mix things up a bit without neglecting the "audience surrogate".
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Damn these new-fangled characters with their interesting attributes and character development and plot hooks! We will not rest until the Doctor acts sensible, the plots all conform to known scientific principles, and you can't tell the supporting characters apart from the people on your morning commute!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn these new-fangled characters with their interesting attributes and character development and plot hooks! We will not rest until the Doctor acts sensible, the plots all conform to known scientific principles, and you can't tell the supporting characters apart from the people on your morning commute!

You can have interesting attributes and character development without the companion being at the centre of some mystery. Many companions have done so - Sarah Jane, Leela, Tegan, Ace, Rose, Martha, Donna to name but a few.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Yes she is very stage school type.

I do wish she was a normal companion though, the so called 'mystery' is annoying.

Yes, she's very stage school. Plus she can only utilise one expression i.e. that of goggle-eyed wonder. I don't know if it's because Coleman is a poor actress or whether she's just not right for the part. Either way, I'm sick of Clara's simpering already.
    Forum Member
    You can have interesting attributes and character development without the companion being at the centre of some mystery. Many companions have done so - Sarah Jane, Leela, Tegan, Ace, Rose, Martha, Donna to name but a few.
    You can have Rose, but you're not having Donna or Ace. The foreshadowing of the DoctorDonna? An entire alternate reality forming around them? Their life with the Doctor being manipulated by Dalek Caan? The Wolves of Fenric?

Basically, the thing to remember is that Clara is, as far as anyone can tell, a normal girl. Each Clara we've met is a perfectly normal girl. So was Amy, for that matter.

It's not the companion that's strange, it's the circumstances surrounding them. And isn't that the case with every character in Who? Nobody gets to meet the Doctor without some very strange events being in progress.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I don't know. I think Jenna Louise Coleman is a brilliant actress but the last few episodes haven't really given her the chance to show off those skills, it feels like they're really holding back character development until the big reveal. I do love Clara though and I agree the Victorian Clara should have been the one to travel with the Doctor.
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    I don't know. I think Jenna Louise Coleman is a brilliant actress but the last few episodes haven't really given her the chance to show off those skills, it feels like they're really holding back character development until the big reveal. I do love Clara though and I agree the Victorian Clara should have been the one to travel with the Doctor.

On one hand, it bothers me that her best character moments so far have been when the Doctor isn't present - arguing with the TARDIS, bonding with the little girl over being scared, admitting her fears to the Soviet professor.

On the other hand, the next episode is all about Clara being separated from the Doctor, so I'm hoping for more.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »

This, IMO.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many Claras did you spot in the Hide episode?:D
    Did anyone notice Clara's characteristics and the words she used in the episode? :D