Options

Advice on a 32" LCD

Please could anyone advise me on the BEST 32" lcd tv to get for around £400-£450

Many thanks in advance

phil

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at that price I would just use pricerunner or kelkoo and select one that you like the most.There isn't that much choice at that price,Each model is much the same.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    G@V wrote:
    at that price I would just use pricerunner or kelkoo and select one that you like the most.There isn't that much choice at that price,Each model is much the same.

And may well be EXACTLY the same, you're looking at cheap badged imports (from Vestel and similar) at those prices.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I picked out 2 here

£449 + use code Priceuk070402 and should take £11 off
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/456565/art/samsung/le32r32b-lcd-television.html?srcid=3

Little over budget but code should bring it down
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/446033/art/lg/32lc3r-lcd-television.html?srcid=3

Wouldn't say either set was set for the future tho with only 1 hdmi socket
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16686)32-AOC-LCD-TV-L32W551T-HD-Ready-Widescreen.aspx

32" AOC LCD TV L32W551T HD Ready Widescreen (2yr Collect and Return Warranty) £352.49
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a Philips 32inch the other day (running Sky and analogue), and that wasnt bad. Better than many others in the £500 range.

Dave
  • Options
    FishfaceFishface Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a look at some sets in Tescos the other day and the Philips models looked to be about the best to me as well.

:)
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although its not the most costly set, the Philips does a good job of reproducing SD pictures....good enough to switch from CRT in many cases. Not seen anything else in that price range which does such a good job. Audio is not bad either, and the controls are quite good too. Certainly better than the Panasonics in the same price range.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the new panasonic lcd tvs look like the ones to beat
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx-32lxd700/index.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    thms wrote:
    the new panasonic lcd tvs look like the ones to beat
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx-32lxd700/index.htm
    He asked for something in the price range £400-500.....the Panasonic costs about twice that much and is obviously not what he asked about.

Dont get me wrong - of the 32" models, I've seen, I'd agree that the Panasonic had the best pic - but it aint what he asked for. He is asked for the best he can get on a Skoda budget and you are giving him Audi recommendations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osamede wrote:
    He asked for something in the price range £400-500.....the Panasonic costs about twice that much and is obviously not what he asked about.

Dont get me wrong - of the 32" models, I've seen, I'd agree that the Panasonic had the best pic - but it aint what he asked for. He is asked for the best he can get on a Skoda budget and you are giving him Audi recommendations.

i had already recommended a cheap set, the AOC @ 352.49

i was replying to the poster who spoke about standard
    definition picture quality. they said philips were better than
    panasonic for standard definition. i mentioned the 2007
    panasonic, to be released in may, because i read its
    standard definition is as good as a cathode ray tube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skodas are quite dear these days :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thms wrote:
    i mentioned the 2007
    panasonic, to be released in may, because i read its
    standard definition is as good as a cathode ray tube.
    I think it would be a good idea to take all that with a grain of salt. I've seen that TV in-store and with standard definition feed, it looked the same as all the others from close in - basically not very good.

You had to go backwards, and it took unitil about 10 feet away before that Panny st actually stood out from the others. It did at that point, but to be honest any old CRT can do better that what I saw there - at least while you are sitting 6-8 foot away on your sofa.

Sad but that is what we are being offered here - not much really, until HD is actually what is broadcast as standard fare on the telly. And that is a good amount of time to go yet.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote:
    i had already recommended a cheap set, the AOC @ 352.49
    Have you seen the AOC in action, thms? I'd love a critical review from experience rather than from specs. Just SD picture and sound quality would do :o

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osamede wrote:
    I think it would be a good idea to take all that with a grain of salt. I've seen that TV in-store and with standard definition feed, it looked the same as all the others from close in - basically not very good.

You had to go backwards, and it took unitil about 10 feet away before that Panny st actually stood out from the others. It did at that point, but to be honest any old CRT can do better that what I saw there - at least while you are sitting 6-8 foot away on your sofa.

Sad but that is what we are being offered here - not much really, until HD is actually what is broadcast as standard fare on the telly. And that is a good amount of time to go yet.

is this the same panasonic?
    their site is showing the TX-32LXD70 for the TX-32LXD700
    i think the model i was reading about is out in may..
    http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Panasonic_tx32lxd700.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parthena wrote:
    Have you seen the AOC in action, thms? I'd love a critical review from experience rather than from specs. Just SD picture and sound quality would do :o

parthena

there's a huge thread on avforum about the aoc
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455307

that thread also mentions the hannspree JT01-32E1-000G http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Hanspree_32_inch_LCD_HD_TV_JT01-32E1-000G/version.asp
    which is £359.97

i haven't seen them as they only appear to available online
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote:
    there's a huge thread on avforum about the aoc
    Thank you, thms - everything I'd already found on the AOC turned into a Hannspree discussion. I shall have a good read.

parthena :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thms wrote:
    is this the same panasonic?
    their site is showing the TX-32LXD70 for the TX-32LXD700
    i think the model i was reading about is out in may..
    Both are reviewed there.
    http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/lcd/Panasonic_TX32LXD70.htm

I saw the "70" version in store at John Lewis. The "70" and "'700" share the same screen parts and technology - so the picture quality is the same.

They differ in that a better sound system and SD card slot added to the "700" versions. I think it has a black strip below instead of silver. This is the same differentiation used by Panasonic in Plasma screens as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the new evesham at £448.99 inc looks good (3yr warranty)
    and it also has freeview
    http://www.evesham.com/products/info.asp?e=53AB09B1-C34A-4943-B2DC-31F098C5CFCE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re "they share the same screen"... the 700 is reported as being superior to any other out there for SD, but then they finish up with the same remark on both models :confused:

70:

Having been literally stunned into silence by the HD capabilities of the TH-32LXD70 we were a little disappointed with Standard Definition Freeview. Our expectations had been so high that this was understandable, and the SD capabilities of the TX-32LXD70 are actually on par with any other LCD we have seen to date. You need to get really up close to the screen before detecting any blurriness, video noise or motion smearing.

700:

The display of Standard Definition sources is class-leading, and will overcome many consumers reservations about flat screens in this respect We had to blink and re-focus when looking at SD content on the TX32LXD700 for the first time, not quite believing that we weren't looking at a high definition picture. You need to get really up close to the screen before detecting any blurriness, video noise or motion smearing.

Why do I care, they're both beyond my budget anyway ;)

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote:
    the new evesham at £448.99 inc looks good (3yr warranty) and it also has freeview
    Plus 18 months interest-free credit! I've had the Eveshams on my "watch list" for weeks, but there are hardly any reviews apart from the 100% positive ones on their site.

Design-wise I prefer the TX ...which I am wondering about - is it a rebadged Tatung? If so, does that have positive/negative implications? Just last night I wrote to Tatung asking for UK stockists.

You can see what a state I'm getting into, one link leads to another and hours go by without me realising, and I get more confused! I'm not in a great rush because am having new windows put in and should leave the new telly until afterwards.

parthena
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote:
    this is the tatung. the features and design are identical
    That's why I've mentioned it, I came across it by accident and I wonder if anyone knows anything about Tatung :rolleyes:
    but for just £18 more you can get the toshiba 32C3030D
    But it's only got one year guarantee (at least £99 for an extra year) and no interest-free credit.

I have very strict financial criteria, the details of which I have just deleted out of respect for others' boredom thresholds ;)

Suffice to say that I could spend more on an Evesham with their warranty and payment terms than I could on any other brand. So I would really like to know more about the current Evesham range, which hardly anyone outside of the Evesham site seems to own! And if the probability of the TX being a Tatung has any implications, for better or worse.

I may be forced to go into Marylebone to the Evesham shop, that would mean miracles do happen :o

parthena
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    parthena wrote:
    That's why I've mentioned it, I came across it by accident and I wonder if anyone knows anything about Tatung :rolleyes:

Tatung bought out Decca years back, and for a good while were a reputable manufacturer of TV's in the UK. However, now they have stopped all UK production (like most manufacturers, thanks to Mr Blair!) and simply badge sets they buy in.

As for their LCD sets, they may be made by their parent company?, who are a huge concern - we haven't had any of their LCD's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    parthena wrote:

But it's only got one year guarantee (at least £99 for an extra year) and no interest-free credit.

I have very strict financial criteria, the details of which I have just deleted out of respect for others' boredom thresholds ;)

Suffice to say that I could spend more on an Evesham with their warranty and payment terms than I could on any other brand. So I would really like to know more about the current Evesham range, which hardly anyone outside of the Evesham site seems to own! And if the probability of the TX being a Tatung has any implications, for better or worse.

I may be forced to go into Marylebone to the Evesham shop, that would mean miracles do happen :o

parthena

There is a huge thread on AVForums about the Evesham Alqemi models. Some people have had really bad experiences with the sets, but Eveshams customer services seem to be great.

I like the look of the Evesham sets myself and if I ever get the decorating finished..........