Options

Apple TV, wireless problems?

Hi All,

I've got an Apple TV for testing, and I am having a lot of trouble getting it to join my wireless network.

Anyone here tried to use a WAP-PSK network with it? Any issues?

The only way I can get it to connect is by turning encryption off. Something I'm not prepared to do long-term.

Via ethernet it works fine though...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

I've got an Apple TV for testing, and I am having a lot of trouble getting it to join my wireless network.

Anyone here tried to use a WAP-PSK network with it? Any issues?

The only way I can get it to connect is by turning encryption off. Something I'm not prepared to do long-term.

Via ethernet it works fine though...

Are you typing in the Hex value for the key?
    Make sure your routing is 128bit encoded.

Mine went with little trouble. But if you have a router like mine where you can type the keyword and it generates the hex key.

I don't think the ascii value you put in your AppleTV is the same thing as the keyword!

Welcome to the club. I'm pleased with mine but I might suggest you do the first sync wired if you have a slow wireless conncection like what I do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    have you told the router that your apple is a trusted device? put in the mac code of the apple as a trusted site in router settings and see what happens

wpa-psk is best, then wep
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, thanks for the tips.

I can get Apple TV to join my work network, which is WEP encrypted. The problem comes with my slightly more secure home network, which is WPA-PSK. That key is alphanumeric, and no matter what I do, Apple TV won't accept it. It just says "the password is incorrect".

I did also add Apple TV to the trusted devcies, didn't seem to make much of a difference :/

Thanks again!