Options

Picking up Keighley broadcasts when pointing at Bilsdale

WillButcherWillButcher Posts: 923
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm using Bilsdale Transmitter (roughly 15 miles away), and when I retuned by TV last weekend it is picking up broadcasts from Keighley (an assumption based on the Frequency bands that the TV is picking up which match Keighley), it is mucking the channel numbers up meaning channels aren't where they should be.

It is only affecting the kitchen TV, none of the others are. Should I really be picking up broadcasts from a transmitter over 50 miles away, and how can I sort it out so the TV functions correctly.

I have attempted a Manual Scan of the frequencies that Bilsdale transmits and the channels aren't the in correct order.

Any advice would be welcome, it is doing my head in!

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try an auto scan with the aerial unplugged to try and clear it all out then do a manual scan on Bilsdale. May work, but no certainty. Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Albertd. Although I have figured out what is happening. The 4 unknown services are actually the 4 BBC Local Radio services that are going to be available here (Cumbria, Leeds, Tees & York).

None of the other TVs have picked them up, so I guess they haven't officially launched yet and this TV is just one of the few that will pick them up.
    After being left on for a while the splash screen loads on them.

So while my TV is picking up the Keighley frequencies during manual scans, that isn't what is causing it.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the channel order is still screwed up see if the TV has a Factory Default option. This returns it to the state it was in when you first took it out of the box. It should zap all the tuning data along with any other custom settings you have made (so make a note of any changes first so you can reset them later).

It will also likely kick off an auto tune so perhaps also unplug the aerial then do the Factory Default option. Either cancel the scan or let it finish if there is no option to cancel. Then plug the aerial back in and do a manual tune on just the Bilsdale frequencies. Hopefully once that is done everything should be back to normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If the channel order is still screwed up see if the TV has a Factory Default option. This returns it to the state it was in when you first took it out of the box. It should zap all the tuning data along with any other custom settings you have made (so make a note of any changes first so you can reset them later).

It will also likely kick off an auto tune so perhaps also unplug the aerial then do the Factory Default option. Either cancel the scan or let it finish if there is no option to cancel. Then plug the aerial back in and do a manual tune on just the Bilsdale frequencies. Hopefully once that is done everything should be back to normal.
    It's a cheap TV, and I mean cheap. It serves the purpose of being a kitchen TV though.

As I said above they are the soon to launch BBC Local Radio stations that it is picking up, rather than channels from Keighley. They are on the PSB1/BBCA mux. I was mistaken in thinking it was because of it picking up signal from there.