Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    Ade_LwAde_Lw Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    Just checked and there are no msgs there

Sorry about that, have a wifi problem that makes sending pms unreliable, so will just put it here instead:

Understand some of what you're going through, as one cat didn't like a house move and would go nuts each night, ripping expensive custom made curtains to shreds, ripping up new carpets, the howling, the want out, want in, want to keep me up all night. It was murder ! :o For months ! In the end found that keeping all internal doors open helped, big meal last thing and homeopathic remedy that just calmed cat down. Can't remember which one helped but there's a lot of info on Web that will help if you choose to try that. (A year after we arrived i got my dog as a pup, and that really helped the situation too, don't know why but it just did. Perhaps brought out some kind of maternal instinct ?) Puss went on to happily live well into her 20s, once that tricky time was over.
    Do hope you try homeopathic route as it does produce results. Good Luck, hope puss is soon ok as well as your fried nerves after all that stress ! :kitty:
  • Options
    Jennifer_Jones2Jennifer_Jones2 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Ade and Fizzycat - I've used homeopathy on my cats - excellent results and I would recommend Ainsworths in Cavendish Street (they have a website). If you telephone, they are all properly trained and can treat and dispense.
    There's always our old friend, the Feliway dispenser too and I believe there is a herbal version of that but I haven't tried it.
    I think I would also contact the Rescue the cat came from and ask about her history before she came into rescue and why she did.
    Cats are often happier if they have company - indeed, so are people - and that might be the easiest option.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it sounds more dramatic, and makes Liz sound more heroic, if she claims that she smuggled Hilda out of the country wrapped in a sweater (LOL - like she wouldn't be caught at customs? I don't think it's illegal to bring animals from Romania since it's part of the EU and they're required to have the same safeguards that we do, but still, they'd probably expect her to declare it)

It's massively illegal to bring any undeclared animal into the UK, and all animals brought in have to either have the proper paperwork and proof of good health and necessary injections and things, or go into quarantine for some months. Being an island, the UK has some of the strictest animal import rules in the world. Because certain diseases that are widespread on the continent do not exist here, so even one single animal being brought in who did have one of those illnesses could destroy the local ecosystem. It's the same with Australia, hence why the Johnny Depp Amber Heard thing was such a big deal. (I have a friend who works animal customs at Heathrow.)

Not that I believe anything LJ says.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ade and Fizzycat - I've used homeopathy on my cats - excellent results and I would recommend Ainsworths in Cavendish Street (they have a website). If you telephone, they are all properly trained and can treat and dispense.
    There's always our old friend, the Feliway dispenser too and I believe there is a herbal version of that but I haven't tried it.
    I think I would also contact the Rescue the cat came from and ask about her history before she came into rescue and why she did.
    Cats are often happier if they have company - indeed, so are people - and that might be the easiest option.
    Good luck!

thanks for the info :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Nic, aka Hamble (in diary comments). Well she's defo loyal !
    As usual doing what she can to clear up after another tall taLe?
    Trying to explain away the mega exaggeration/lie which ever you prefer regarding how little Hilda came to be with Lizbott.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to Ade and Jennifer.

The history the rescue people gave us that she had belonged to an old lady who had a stroke and could no longer look after her, and that she'd always been an indoor cat (we asked about that specifically because of our leasehold terms). She'd obviously been grossly overfed as she was so overweight her breathing was affected when they collected her so she's on a diet but hunger isn't the problem because she leaves food in her bowl when she's had enough.

We took 2 cats at the same time - Reggie was a feral kitten who used to go to a nursing home to be fed until they took him in but a new manager said he couldn't stay (after he'd been there for 4 years). He's settling realy well and shows no signs of wanting to go out. He's discovered laps and sofas (and scragging my knitting round the floor if he gets the chance). Chloe tends to bully him but he's started to stand his ground as he's got more confident; I think this is when she stopped being as happy as she was in the first few days. We had a better day with her yesterday and weren't aware of her crying at the door last night so maybe we're going out of that phase and into something more settled.

I'm going to look into Feliway today and see if that helps her settle. But thanks a million, both of you xx
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tszujme wrote: »
    It's massively illegal to bring any undeclared animal into the UK, and all animals brought in have to either have the proper paperwork and proof of good health and necessary injections and things, or go into quarantine for some months. Being an island, the UK has some of the strictest animal import rules in the world. Because certain diseases that are widespread on the continent do not exist here, so even one single animal being brought in who did have one of those illnesses could destroy the local ecosystem. It's the same with Australia, hence why the Johnny Depp Amber Heard thing was such a big deal. (I have a friend who works animal customs at Heathrow.)

Not that I believe anything LJ says.

I stand corrected ... by you and "hamble"/Nic, who now says Liz did not smuggle Hilda in, only wrapped her in a sweater after she was rescued. Well, that's not QUITE so attention-grabbing, now is it Liz?
  • Options
    cambs1965cambs1965 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just one thing, why is Daily Mail Hamble/Nic location shown as Somerset?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cambs1965 wrote: »

Perhaps she hasn't updated her location since she lived in Dulverton, before the move to Reeth.
  • Options
    vampyrevampyre Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cambs1965 wrote: »

Because they didn't update their details when they moved?
  • Options
    Harriet VaneHarriet Vane Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic for this thread, but is anybody else absolutely appalled at the (unmoderated) abuse dished out on the Mail Online to Chris Evans and the new Top Gear team today? I don't think I've ever read such a spiteful, gloating 'report' of last night's launch (and allegedly by their Chief UK Reporter, who should be ashamed of himself). Then over 5000 armchair TV Producers and Presenters weigh in, mostly dishing vitriol too. My point being - the DM seems perfectly happy publishing outright abuse when it suits, and yet Liz, delicate flower that she is, needs to be protected by moderators 24 / 7 as far as the Dreary goes. A Dreary in which she insults and traduces anybody she feels like having a go at that week, with no right of reply, not even via the comments section, afforded. Double standards, much?
  • Options
    BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Mail Online comments horrify me in general and it's bizarre which comments are allowed through and which are not. The whole online rag has become nothing but a platform for "journalists" and morons to bully people, people who too often have no right of reply. I hate all the tabloids but the Mail makes me sick when it comes to what they get away with and how they actively encourage racism and bigotry and all sorts of other disgusting behaviour.
  • Options
    splodges mumsplodges mum Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Why do you give attention to this batty woman. Ignore her, what she writes is irrelevant. I only came back on to this thread because a friend was reading it and showed me. Won't be coming back.
  • Options
    Althea_DroppAlthea_Dropp Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Well, see, we LIKE complaining about Liz, and knowing that we're not alone in thinking she's 1001 cows short of a dairy.
  • Options
    LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you give attention to this batty woman. Ignore her, what she writes is irrelevant. I only came back on to this thread because a friend was reading it and showed me. Won't be coming back.

Because we can and there's no law against it perhaps?
    She certainly bothers you enough to come on here and comment.

Toodle-oo and don't let the door smack you in the arse on the way out. :D
  • Options
    amikolaichekamikolaichek Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    Many thanks to Ade and Jennifer.

The history the rescue people gave us that she had belonged to an old lady who had a stroke and could no longer look after her, and that she'd always been an indoor cat (we asked about that specifically because of our leasehold terms). She'd obviously been grossly overfed as she was so overweight her breathing was affected when they collected her so she's on a diet but hunger isn't the problem because she leaves food in her bowl when she's had enough.

We took 2 cats at the same time - Reggie was a feral kitten who used to go to a nursing home to be fed until they took him in but a new manager said he couldn't stay (after he'd been there for 4 years). He's settling realy well and shows no signs of wanting to go out. He's discovered laps and sofas (and scragging my knitting round the floor if he gets the chance). Chloe tends to bully him but he's started to stand his ground as he's got more confident; I think this is when she stopped being as happy as she was in the first few days. We had a better day with her yesterday and weren't aware of her crying at the door last night so maybe we're going out of that phase and into something more settled.

I'm going to look into Feliway today and see if that helps her settle. But thanks a million, both of you xx

fizzycat, just sent you a PM in reply to yours.
  • Options
    Jennifer_Jones2Jennifer_Jones2 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Hi Fizzycat - feather things on sticks are usually popular with cats and your hands and feet don't get shredded at a distance!
    I live alone so one in each hand keeps 2 cats amused and not in competition, although 2 cats with one toy can be very good when they are at ease together.
    Of course a few Dreamies Treats always go down well too - they seem to be the equivalent of crack cocaine for cats!
    It may be that, as they were strangers to each other, they are just sorting out the pecking order, but Reggie sounds a sweetie and will probably happily let Madam boss him about!
    Do hope all goes well. x
  • Options
    Pixie24Pixie24 Posts: 268
    Forum Member

A "friend was reading it and showed you"? Why would a "friend" show you a thread about someone you claim to have absolutely no interest in?
  • Options
    Rubbish NameRubbish Name Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, splodge's mum : I'll see your "if you don't like her, don't read her" and raise you a "if you don't like us, don't read us". Your move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, splodge's mum : I'll see your "if you don't like her, don't read her" and raise you a "if you don't like us, don't read us". Your move.

Love it :D
    Bye the way splodge's mum just a "hi" for when you pop back to check for responses to your "....not coming back" post, cos we all know you will :p
  • Options
    Jemima_TabJemima_Tab Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I've also had a bit of inside information about what went on re Nic and the farmer Jamie. Can't reveal my source but just to say, the poor guy was sort of 'cultivated' to get what Jones wanted - one of his fields for her horses and he took it as a genuine friendship and perhaps more, with Nic. The residents locally are outraged at how he was treated.

You must be talking to the same people as KnowledgePower!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A week ago after reading about the death of Hilda I posted about how I'd previously lost a little rescue dog which Hilda reminded me of......

6 days later the whole thing has just happened again, my partner rang me while out with our dogs to say the oldest had collapsed. We got him to the vets and it was his time to say good bye. Really sad day. And so strange how it happened with in a week of writing about a different dog, same circumstances. Oh dear. Saddest part of having animals :kitty::kitty::kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ade_Lw wrote: »
    A week ago after reading about the death of Hilda I posted about how I'd previously lost a little rescue dog which Hilda reminded me of......

6 days later the whole thing has just happened again, my partner rang me while out with our dogs to say the oldest had collapsed. We got him to the vets and it was his time to say good bye. Really sad day. And so strange how it happened with in a week of writing about a different dog, same circumstances. Oh dear. Saddest part of having animals :kitty::kitty::kitty:

Just logged in for the first time since last weekend and seen this. So sorry to hear the news. :kitty::cry: They leave such holes in our lives, don't they.

I'll reply this evening to the pm's I've had. It's been a fraught and tense week (with a family death just topping it off yesterday). We've reluctantly come to the conclusion that we've tried our best with Chloe but we have to let her go. Her behaviour changes by the hour but the general trend is downwards and she's clearly not happy. Whether it's having another cat around that's upseting her or if she just doesn't like me or Max we'll never know but we have to give her the chance of finding her happy forever home. (It doesn't help that the rescue society were less than honest about several aspects of her past until we challenged them this week) :cry:
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever thought of closing this thread and not giving her any atttention whatsoever. She really doesn't deserve it.
  • Options
    LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone ever thought of closing this thread and not giving her any atttention whatsoever. She really doesn't deserve it.

She'll still get attention via the actual paper and its online version, so that renders your post just a tad redundant.