Chris Moyles Quiz Night - Math Question... 100?!?

KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
Did anyone watch last night. The maths question sung by The Wanted... the answer I got every time I tried working it out on a calculator was 34, none of the contestants got it right. The answer was 100! Is this a mistake? or was some of the song edited out and someone forgot it will change the answer.

Nobody got near 100 as their answer, even Jonathan Ross questioned how was the answer 100 last night.

Did anyone work it out as 100?

Comments

• jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it as 108 but got lost at 56 X2
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    What was the question?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    I worked it out as 100. I think what happened was in the song they said divide by 2 whilst the writing on screen said multiply by 2. If you multiplied instead of divided at that point, you would have reached 100. I'm guessing everyone else divided.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I worked it out as 100. I think what happened was in the song they said divide by 2 whilst the writing on screen said multiply by 2. If you multiplied instead of divided at that point, you would have reached 100. I'm guessing everyone else divided.

so basically the editors messed up. I'm gunna watch it again when I get home and I'll type up the question on here.
  • Shinny04Shinny04 Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got 100. They said and showed that in the equation you should multiply it by 2 and again multiply that answer by 2. It's just people not paying attention to the question properly.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maths
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maths

Actually its singular
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Actually its singular

You are quite right Maths is singular, but ends with an "s". Amazing isn't it?

Not really. Think of Mathematics or Physics or molasses or measles or dress or mumps or hippopotamus or truss or class, or any of a long list of English words that end with "s" but are singular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    You are quite right Maths is singular, but ends with an "s". Amazing isn't it?

Not really. Think of Mathematics or Physics or molasses or measles or dress or mumps or hippopotamus or truss or class, or any of a long list of English words that end with "s" but are singular.

Math is singular, maths is the plural.

Edit: In America... I watch too many American shows :p And I'm not stupid thanks, no need for the sarcasm and to list English words ending in s that are singular :rolleyes: Math and Maths is a bit different as they are both words used.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Edit: In America... I watch too many American shows :p And I'm not stupid thanks, no need for the sarcasm and to list English words ending in s that are singular :rolleyes: Math and Maths is a bit different as they are both words used.

Math is not used in the UK, what next having everything simple end in 101 e.g it's so simple it's accountancy 101 etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway this thread is about the mathS question I admit I was wrong but shame about the sarcasm.

I probably just missed something out in the question, but it was bugging me how I couldn't get it to 100!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    26 x 2 (52) x 2 (104) - 9 (95) + 5 = 100
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I got 100. Was surprised when they all got around the 40 something mark, thinking I had missed something.
  • king_walnutking_walnut Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maths*

This forum is English.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I got 100. I was confused and thinking back when the contestants came out with 40 somthing answers but was happy again when the answer was revealed :)
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Same here I got 100. My other half was convinced I was going to be wrong when they showed all their answers. I wasn't!
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maths is the UK abrieviation for Mathematics. Americans don't use "maths" at all, they always say "math", so it's not really to do with plural and singular.

Anyway the Moyles question was arithmetic, not math(s). ;)
  • Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    26 x 2 (52) x 2 (104) - 9 (95) + 5 = 100

Yep that's what I got - the second 'x2' was very quick after the first so easily missed. Left out you get 48 which is what Chris answered. Think Patsy Kensit even mentioned it at the time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel82 wrote: »
    Yep that's what I got - the second 'x2' was very quick after the first so easily missed. Left out you get 48 which is what Chris answered. Think Patsy Kensit even mentioned it at the time

I'm still confused as to how I got my answer! gunna have a look after dinner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question was:

10 + 11 - 7 + 8 + 4 x 2 x 2 - 9 + 5 = ?

I realised why I kept getting 34 :p my calculator wasn't working it out right!!! Oh well
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I got 100. Whowas the young dancer featured?
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    The question was:

10 + 11 - 7 + 8 + 4 x 2 x 2 - 9 + 5 = ?

I realised why I kept getting 34 :pmy calculator wasn't working it out right!!! Oh well

There's where you went wrong. With some calculators and spreadsheet programs they don't just "work from left to right" as you would if you did it in your head. The operators for multiplication and division have precedence over those for addition and substraction.

So while the calculation is written in the order as above your calculator does the multiplication bit first, gets the answer 16, and then plugs that into the rest of the equation, thus:-

4x2x2+10+11-7+8-9+5=?

which gets you to 34.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    There's where you went wrong. With some calculators and spreadsheet programs they don't just "work from left to right" as you would if you did it in your head. The operators for multiplication and division have precedence over those for addition and substraction.

So while the calculation is written in the order as above your calculator does the multiplication bit first, gets the answer 16, and then plugs that into the rest of the equation, thus:-

4x2x2+10+11-7+8-9+5=?

which gets you to 34.

Is there any reason behind this? seems silly to me. I'll not be lazy and work it out properly next week. :o
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bodmas?