Options

On Demand downloads slow

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
I've got a 50mb connection with smallworld cable(soon to be Virgin) it works great online, with Xbox, with Netflix etc but several times with sky on demand services I've hit buffer whilst trying to watch program's! Anyone else having same issues? I've reset connections and stuff and am now on the new virgin hub but still slow!!
Cheers for any help
Martin

Comments

• Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    When the buffering occurs are you the only one using the network, or are there others in the the house using it too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Just me, the network all shows good, speedtest shows consistent 50 download speed, only issue is sky!!
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Sonic22a wrote: »
    Just me, the network all shows good, speedtest shows consistent 50 download speed, only issue is sky!!

Do you know if your supplier operates any traffic shaping or throttling of the service?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin doesn't have any traffic management on downloads now.

A lot of people seem to find Sky's on demand slow to download, there's been several threads here about it. I find it much slower compared to downloading a similar sized file on the PC. However it should be enough to play without hitting the buffer.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin doesn't have any traffic management on downloads now.

OP is not on virgin yet though.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    OP is not on virgin yet though.

Good point. Although from looking at their fair use policy, Smallworld seems to have no traffic management either.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point. Although from looking at their fair use policy, Smallworld seems to have no traffic management either.

they don't need one.
    their network is rubbish as it is, so never gets to the point where it needs managed :D
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you using a wired or wireless connection for the on demand service?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    On random occasions Sky On Demand can be very slow. I've had times when a film just wasn't downloading quickly enough and after three times of hitting the buffer had to leave it to download fully which took about 3 or 4 hours.

As there were no other problems at my end I can only think that at times the Sky servers get bogged down or have other issues which cause the slowness.
  • Options
    mintsmints Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I have had this problem on all three boxes even when no other devices were in use mainly with HD content.
    The boxes are hard wired to the router but for the last few weeks things have been ok.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On demand is always slow. Takes about 15-20mins to download a 1hr show and im on virgin 30mb package. At the moment it says no Internet connection which has happened a few times.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    On demand is always slow. Takes about 15-20mins to download a 1hr show and im on virgin 30mb package. At the moment it says no Internet connection which has happened a few times.

Then again, that is plenty fast enough to watch the show almost instantly, in this situation, higher speed is not required.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky have capped the download speed from their servers at around 12Mbps. As pointed out, this is perfectly fine for instant availability on most assets. It also allows you to carry on using your connection as it doesn't saturate it. The software on the box calculates your download speed and allows you start watching when enough has downloaded to show the programme buffer free. Seeing the buffer message would indicate an issue with your ISP, not Sky. I've never seen the buffer message, so I guess my connection is more consistent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely the Internet Connection is between the box and the router? Are you using wifi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never seen the buffer message, so I guess my connection is more consistent.
    My connection is very consistent but i've still had intermittent problems with Sky On Demand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I've experienced the same problem a few times on both of my boxes. I have BT Infinity 2 with speeds of over 78Mbps but when it comes to Sky's On-Demand, the downloads are some days terrible but yet or Netflix, XBMC etc are perfectly fine always.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Mins been slow past week, cbbeebies is very slow atm.
  • Options
    whitestripe7whitestripe7 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    For some reason, it takes far longer for me to download one 30-minute show in HD like 24, for example, than it does a movie in HD.

The movies are generally available to start watching in minutes, whereas a show from Box Sets won't be available for anything up to 15 minutes.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bulk download anyway, and rarely monitor it. If Sky have restricted it to 12Mbps I wouldn't see that, as i only get 6.8Mbps (actual throughput) on ADSL anyway. I've still managed to clock up over 120GB so far this week though lol. Roll on FTTP ;)
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have capped the download speed from their servers at around 12Mbps. As pointed out, this is perfectly fine for instant availability on most assets.

If you want to watch from the beginning - yes. If you want to watch from halfway through then this limitation is a pain in the arse - as you have to sit there waiting for 50% of the thing to download at an artificially slow pace before you get to the bit you want to watch.

And as others have suggested - if the OP's Sky box is connected to his router wirelessly rather than wired, this also has a detrimental effect on the speed that On Demand downloads hit the box. I've got two Sky+ HD boxes - the one which is wired to my router could download a HD movie in less than a quarter of the time it takes the one which is wirelessly connected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I watched two movies from On Demand the other night.

The first I started to download at 8pm. It was available instantly. I hit the buffer twice before deciding to give it 30 minutes to download some more so I could watch in peace.

The second I started to download at 10:30pm. It was available instantly and I checked after about 15 minutes and it was 60% downloaded already.

So I don't know if it was the movie, the channel, the time, the server or what but in the space of 2 hours I had two different experiences with the streaming.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Could be any combination of any or all of those factors.
    The download is declared ready to watch when the system calculates that real time playback will never catch up with the download, but that completely relies on the initial download speed being maintained at the start level all the way through the download, which may not be the case of course due to many possible factors.
    AFAIK it never re-calculates once it's started, as that would be irrelevant if you've already started to watch!
    :)
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    not only slow but you cant use it if recording two programs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not only slow but you cant use it if recording two programs
    Yes you can.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yes you can.

how as catch up records on to the hard drive , thought you could only rec two programs and watch something you had recorded with sky