Options

Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »
    Tony reckoned Silhouettes was a UK number 1 in 65 (incorrect) for "Herman and the Hermits" who I don't think were a real band:D

Oh yes they were.

They got to number two on the BBC chart with this song. The Rays original from 1957 is a classic. Tony mentioned that version but no one on here will have heard it I am sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    Incredible chart from 1967 in my opinion. Loved the Small Faces, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Keith West, Mamas And Papas, Scott Mckenzie, Tom Jones and Engelbert. Was rather surprised at the Stones "Dandelion" being played as it was essentially a b side, with "We Love You" being the lead song. Maybe the anti establishment lyrics may not have seemed fitting, although it is perhaps the closest we get to a full on Beatles/Stones collaboration with John and Paul supplying backing vocals. However, "Dandelion" did enjoy a much greater profile in the US where it was promoted as the a side.

Love Engelbert's "The Last Waltz" perhaps more than his previous no 1 "Release Me".

The 1967 chart was fantastic. Dandelion is my favourite of the double A side. The Last Waltz is a great song. Beats Release Me hands down. Tony said he thinks the Keith West song us great. He has good taste. Great memories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly agree with you Rich, today's 1990 one of the worst in living memory on POTP. Didn't mind Betty Boo too much though, Roxette ok, Praying For Time quite good, KLF good and Mariah brilliant, but rest not up to much. And some of those skipped were even worse! (But TB should have played Jive Bunny though as it was going up the charts and he played a few going down.)

Moving from 1967 in the first hour to 1990 was like going back to infants school after doing three years at university.

If anyone from Radio 2 reads this thread for goodness sake forget anything after 1984 ever happened.
  • Options
    merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree I like it when the show goes into the late 80s early 90s, makes a change.
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    Oh yes they were.

They got to number two on the BBC chart with this song. The Rays original from 1957 is a classic. Tony mentioned that version but no one on here will have heard it I am sure.

I realise it was their early name so I was having a joke. Nobody really refers to them as that.
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    merrim01 wrote: »
    I disagree I like it when the show goes into the late 80s early 90s, makes a change.

David doesn't believe people in their 40s should be able to hear and relive songs from their youth.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moving from 1967 in the first hour to 1990 was like going back to infants school after doing three years at university.

If anyone from Radio 2 reads this thread for goodness sake forget anything after 1984 ever happened.

Why? Just because you personally dislike it?

I'm sure there are others who could quite equally say to Radio 2 please don't play anything from before 1973!

Isn't it the variety that makes POTP?
  • Options
    pilninggaspilninggas Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    merrim01 wrote: »

I concur, I like the it when they do late 80s and early 90s charts, as a lot of it is a bit naff, but it is also never air-played. Can't remember the last time I heard 'Where are you baby' by Betty Boo; nowhere else bar PoTP would you hear it otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pilninggas wrote: »
    I concur, I like the it when they do late 80s and early 90s charts, as a lot of it is a bit naff, but it is also never air-played. Can't remember the last time I heard 'Where are you baby' by Betty Boo; nowhere else bar PoTP would you hear it otherwise.

I'd agree with that. There's a lot of the fun, cheesy stuff from 1990-91 from the likes of Betty Boo that never get played
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a great 1990 show.. why not play shows from later in the 90s?

Is anyone able to help me with old Pepsi Chart shows from 1993-2000? I have a large collection of Radio 1 shows to trade. PM me please :)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey should have been a one hit wonder with Vision Of Love in 1990, or maybe a 2 hit wonder if you include her Christmas hit 4 years later. Quite how she dominated the charts, especially in the USA where I believe she even had more No1's than Elvis is beyond comprehension.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No no no! 1985 is brilliant, plus 1986 and 1989 are pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is more chance of hell freezing over.

Phil must be getting on a bit, so I think he will go before he'll freezes over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1967 chart was fantastic. Dandelion is my favourite of the double A side. The Last Waltz is a great song. Beats Release Me hands down. Tony said he thinks the Keith West song us great. He has good taste. Great memories.

I loved Tom Jones at Number 2, real emotion. Agree, Last Waltz better than Release Me, but both very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Mariah Carey should have been a one hit wonder with Vision Of Love in 1990, or maybe a 2 hit wonder if you include her Christmas hit 4 years later. Quite how she dominated the charts, especially in the USA where I believe she even had more No1's than Elvis is beyond comprehension.

Out of all your bizarre posts this has to be the most ridiculous ever. Mariah is a living legend and has recorded some of the greatest tracks ever. She is easily the best musical artiste of the last 25 years. Her album E=MC2 is one of the greatest of all time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No no no! 1985 is brilliant, plus 1986 and 1989 are pretty good.

I'm really looking forward to this coming week's 1989 chart! :)

The number one song is one of my absolute favourite songs ever. A real anthem :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all your bizarre posts this has to be the most ridiculous ever. Mariah is a living legend and has recorded some of the greatest tracks ever. She is easily the best musical artiste of the last 25 years. Her album E=MC2 is one of the greatest of all time.

Thankyou Gatherer for the first comment, I'm doing something right then. :p

Regards the latter highlighted words, all I can say is...:o:o:o:o:o:o:blush:

That's another fine joust you got me into. ;-)
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member

I concur with you about the period around 1984. Things get steadily more bland as the eighties progress. I rather like some of the hits from the 1981-83 period, but thereafter, pop seems to lose pretty much most of its edge. There were some good songs recorded in the mid eighties period, but overwhelmingly i hated the context in which they were recorded (production values etc.) Post Live Aid stretching to the present day, has been a very sombre period for truly great music (and certainly in relation to what pop was offering in the sixties and seventies).

It was good to hear the rarely played "The House That Jack Built" by the Alan Price Set, from the 1967 chart. Alan Price had some realy enjoyable single releases after leaving the Animals, and a hugely distinctive voice. "Don't Stop The Carnival" and "Simon Smith......." were great singles, too, and not forgetting "The Jarrow Song" from 1974. I remember him teaming up for a spell with Georgie Fame. Do you remember "Rosetta"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really like New York City and it has one if the greatest intros to a pop single ever. As for Low, agree with most of what you say, but Sound and Vision at least is superb (another with a great - long - intro).

I give Marc credit for consistently coming up with some truly catchy singles, however much some may have sounded a little formulaic. However, i think "Truck On Tyke" was the first really substandard offering (even though i'm not especially impressed with "Telegram Sam"). "Light Of Love" and "Zip Gun Boogie" were pretty substandard too. However, "Teenage Dream", "Dreamy Lady" and "New York City" were really fine single releases. I am dubious about "Laser Love", as a song, but i love the Herbie Flowers bass parts, and also the distinctive slide playing by Miller Anderson.

Yes, Bowie aimed for much more, but sometimes with me i found it difficult to swallow some of his artistic pretentions. I love Bolan more, despite some of his musical shortcomings. He seemed much less contrived musically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil must be getting on a bit, so I think he will go before he'll freezes over.

Phil is 62.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    September 1 1990

Top 20
    20 THE KING OF WISHFUL THINKING - GO WEST - I liked Go West, and it was good to see them back in the charts again, though that was obviously helped by this being on the Pretty Woman soundtrack.
    18 BLAZE OF GLORY - JON BON JOVI - I get this and Wanted Dead Or Alive mixed up in my head, which tells you how bothered I was about it. I'd much rather hear Jon Bon Jovi doing more rocking stuff
    16 VISION OF LOVE - MARIAH CAREY - I've no time at all for what Mariah has done since about the mid 90s, but loved her earlier stuff. Can never resist singing along to this in a vain attempt trying to copy her vocal style.
    15 U CAN'T TOUCH THIS - MC HAMMER - Hammer time! The only hit of his anyone remembers, and rightly so, even if it's just because of the ridiclous "pants" her wore in the video! It was a long while afterwards that I heard Superfreak, that it samples, but this is too ingrained on my mind to separate the two.
    14 THE JOKER - STEVE MILLER BAND - I seriously doubt this would have been a hit, let alone a number one, if it hadn't been in Levi's ad. Such an injustice it deprived Groove Is In The Heart from being No.1.
    13 GROOVE IS IN THE HEART - DEEE-LITE - Speaking of which... Definitely a stand out record at the time, and it still sounds great today. I'll never tire of hearing it, and it will always make me want to get up and dance.
    11 WHAT TIME IS LOVE? - KLF FEAT. CHILDREN OF THE REVOLUTION - Wrong version played, not that I'm particularly fussed other either version. The only time the KLF really interested me was when they did Justified And Ancient with Tammy Wynette.
    10 SILHOUETTES - CLIFF RICHARD - I can't remember if I know this song from then, or from about 10 years later when I got his greatest hits double CD. I do really like it, certainly compared to the Stock/Aitken/Waterman stuff he did around this time.
    07 LISTEN TO YOUR HEART/DANGEROUS - ROXETTE - This didn't sound like the right version to me - I'm guessing this was the original release. Too similar to, and not as good, as It Must Have Been Love.
    06 PRAYING FOR TIME - GEORGE MICHAEL - Being a huge fan of George's Faith album, I couldn't wait to hear Listen Without Prejudice. Sadly I think I was a bit too young to apprecaite it, and found it a bit too serious. I feel ashamed for not realising at the time what a great song this is and, sadly, the lyrics are probably more apt to describe the world now as they were back then.
    05 TOM'S DINER - DNA FEAT. SUZANNE VEGA - I youtubed the original version of this, as I didn't recall ever hearing it and, in my opinion, this version is a million times better. She must think so too, as it seems she adds the der der der der der der der der bit when she performs it.
    04 WHERE ARE YOU BABY? - BETTY BOO - My fave of her hits, and the only one I bought - although I think that was after it was in the chart. I do like the sung chorus better than the rapped verses.
    03 TONIGHT - NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK - I didn't think much of this at time, though reappraised it when it was played a few time on Sean Rowley's Guilty Pleasures radio show. I like it now because it's different from the boy band sound whereas before it was the opposite. From comments I read online, it seems this is the New Kids song it's okay to admit to liking.
    02 FOUR BACHARACH AND DAVID SONGS (EP) - DEACON BLUE - I'll Never Fall In Love is without doubt my favourite song in this chart. An absolute gem! I find this version far more touching than Bobbie Gentry's, which is the only other version I'm familiar with though I'm sure there are many others.
    01 ITSY BITSY TEENY WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI - BOMBALURINA - No problem with this being played at all. Yes, it's a silly, summer novelty song, of which there'd been many prior to 1990. I find hearing this once in a while on retro chart shows far less irritating than certain overplayed "classics". Stil can't get my head around how Andrew Lloyd Webber came up with the idea of this, though!

Not played
    20 HARDCORE UPROAR - TOGETHER - The title's certainly misleading. There's nothing hardcore or uproarious about this at all - it's just a generic dance track with nothing about it that makes it stand out from the many others that were released during this time.
    17 SOUP DRAGONS FEAT. JUNIOR REID - Well I'm truly shocked. I'd no idea, until I just Googled, that this was a cover of a Rolling Stones song - yet the "hold me, love me" bit is surely nicked from Eight Days A Week, or vice versa. As for this version, I love the baggy, Madchester, vibe to it, but it's spoilt by the rapping.
    12 PARTNERS IN KRYME - Can't think of much that was of less interest to me in 1990 than Teenage Hero/Ninja Mutant Turtles and this song. Definitely one for the kiddies.
    09 NAKED IN THE RAIN BLUE PEARL - Shame this wasn't played. I'd definitely class it as one of the songs of summer 1990.
    08 JIVE BUNNY AND THE MASTERMIXERS - The phrase "scraping the bottom of the barrel" springs to mind. By this point it seems the had to do poor sound-a-like recordings of the various songs, the worst being Greased Lighting, although it is Dave Bartram's vocals on Dancin' Party.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was appropriate to hear the Small Faces' Itchycoo Park on POTP on Saturday. Earlier that morning it featured in The Royal where Lizzie had just bought and rode her scooter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    It was good to hear the rarely played "The House That Jack Built" by the Alan Price Set, from the 1967 chart. Alan Price had some realy enjoyable single releases after leaving the Animals, and a hugely distinctive voice.
    Who here remembers another long forgotten top ten single also called The House That Jack Built by an artist known simply as Tracie, a top ten single in April 1983. It was quite a catchy pop tune - "Ooh aah, the house that Jack built".

Then 5 years later you had The Jack That House Built, by Jack 'n' Chill from January 1988 which I think I recall Tony playing on POTP at the start of this year.
    ClareB wrote: »
    September 1 1990
    14 THE JOKER - STEVE MILLER BAND - I seriously doubt this would have been a hit, let alone a number one, if it hadn't been in Levi's ad. Such an injustice it deprived Groove Is In The Heart from being No.1.
    13 GROOVE IS IN THE HEART - DEEE-LITE - Speaking of which... Definitely a stand out record at the time, and it still sounds great today. I'll never tire of hearing it, and it will always make me want to get up and dance.
    The sales of The Joker and Groove Is In The Heart were absolutely identical in one week of September 1990 and they were effectively joint No1's but the charts would no longer allow for that possibility so The Joker was awarded the No1 position on the basis that its sales had increased more over the sales week than those of Groove Is In The Heart. This caused some considerable consternation at the time.

The Joker by Steve Miller Band had already been a US No1 many years earlier, back in January 1974 for a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Who here remembers another long forgotten top ten single also called The House That Jack Built by an artist known simply as Tracie, a top ten single in April 1983. It was quite a catchy pop tune - "Ooh aah, the house that Jack built".

Yes, Tracie Young, who was signed to Paul Weller's short lived Respond record label, who also sang backing vocals on the Jam's "Beat Surrender" and some of the early Style Council hits. I think Weller may have picked her up from an advert he placed in Smash Hits. I can recall reading how much Tracie hated the mix of "The House That Jack Built". Apparently, Weller went back into the studio to give the song a more contemporary 1983 feel. I can remember Tracie's other hit "Give It Some Emotion", which was much smaller.. Thereafter, she began to fade. I think she now works as a successful regional radio DJ.
  • Options
    Fruit_FlyFruit_Fly Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    17 SOUP DRAGONS FEAT. JUNIOR REID - Well I'm truly shocked. I'd no idea, until I just Googled, that this was a cover of a Rolling Stones song - yet the "hold me, love me" bit is surely nicked from Eight Days A Week, or vice versa.
    Repeat after me - "In our universe The Beatles did '8 Days A Week' " ;-)
    Quietly though - with a bit of luck nobody will notice :D