Under the Dome - Series 2

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the virus hadn't been stronger than she first thought, surely she'd have realised that releasing something like that in a CLOSED ENVIRONMENT like Dometown would have been a very very stupid idea?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it has the potential to be a fantastic show.

I disagree.
    Pretty much any show that is set in a closed environment, with such a limited scope for new characters or varied stories is doomed from the start. A possible exception would be The Prisoner - although that show only ran for 17 episodes (c.f. 2 * 13 ep series for UtD) and most of its success was the sheer, downright whackiness of it - rather than the story itself. And even then, its "popularity" is generally among a small number of very vocal fans, rather than it having any broad public appeal.

UtD might have made a good film, where all the tensions and drama could be concentrated into a couple of hours - the equivalent of 3 episodes and with a definite end in sight. But to drag it out to 8 times that length? There just isn't enough material, the acting is terrible and the writers simply don't have the talent.
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it had the potential to be a great tv show…. it really isn't the best though, and the cheap deaths (shock factor at expense of story) of Angie, Linda and (maybe even) Phil are stupid. The former two were two of the best characters on the show, and their deaths served no purpose to the story!

I think that they should make that Harriet main cast. She's only appeared in one episode in both seasons, but her acting in season 1 was phenomenal!

Junior and Barbie are gorgeous
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously though, I agree with some of the other posters - the writing is a lot worse this season, and some of the acting is ATROCIOUS!! MElony really is one of the worst actresses i've had the displeasure of watching.
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else laugh when Julia said to the science teacher "we're lucky only Wendell was killed" ? As if Wendell didnt matter. Sure it was only Wendell Its like their acknowledging that the citizens that arent in the main cast dont matter :rolleyes:
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Sure not as strong as the first series (though the latest episode has opened up a door (so to speak)). I wish someone would shoot (and kill) Big Jim already though.

I fear this show will meet it's end before it's told whatever story they're trying to tell with it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Sure not as strong as the first series (though the latest episode has opened up a door (so to speak)). I wish someone would shoot (and kill) Big Jim already though.

I fear this show will meet it's end before it's told whatever story they're trying to tell with it.

The show is definitely being let down by the writer's and probably the producer's desire to have certain characters in the show.

I dislike when actors are given more priority than the story.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm out. Couldn't even make it all the way through the latest episode. Rubbish show, which seems to be getting worse every week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this post on TOR.com about the latest ep ;):D

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/07/under-the-dome-recap-reconciliation
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still watching and curious to see where it ends. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I love this post on TOR.com about the latest ep ;):D

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/07/under-the-dome-recap-reconciliation

LOL I like this bit.
    “We’re lucky only Wendell died today,” Julia says. “Anybody could have been hit. Me, you, another lead actor.”

BTW the dialogue on 'The Last Ship' isn't even in the 'So bad it is good' category.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Dean Norris, from the sublime 'Breaking Bad' to this load of crap. I wonder if he knew what he was letting himself in for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that Stephen King's name alone carries a lot of weight and draws people in. He's even cameoed in the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week's had the best line ever out of the whole series so far:
    Is there a brain under that hair?

It's a fair question! :D

I find it interesting that the writers seem to have steered away from the whole "JUNIOR IS A PSYCHO!" thing this season. Sure, he still seems a bit "off", but it's like they've forgotten (or want us to forget) just how disturbed he was in the first season, such as when he locked up Angie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    I find it interesting that the writers seem to have steered away from the whole "JUNIOR IS A PSYCHO!" thing this season. Sure, he still seems a bit "off", but it's like they've forgotten (or want us to forget) just how disturbed he was in the first season, such as when he locked up Angie.

They have not forgotten what Junior did, it was explained that he did it to protect Angie, he just went the wrong way about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they've got enough wackos in that town what with the Uncle and the Lyle amongst others.

I though it was a slightly better episode this week (which isn't difficult). Not sure why they didn't throw Lyle's lantern down the hole, it would have been better than just throwing a rock.

I liked the interaction between the teacher and Julia, and I also liked Big Jim's comment to her. LOL
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Not sure why they didn't throw Lyle's lantern down the hole, it would have been better than just throwing a rock...
    What would be the point? They would have lost their light instead of losing a piece of rock.

What I found totally incredible, was that 1 small windmill could not only clean the whole of the area enclosed in the dome within minutes, but could also stop the wind! Magic!
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are Sam and Lyle the same age more or less? Its been referenced several times that they grew up together and must have been in high school together since the original 4 hands were so close, but the only way I could see Lyle being in high school with the rest of them is if he was a member of the staff because he looks about 15-20 years older than Sam
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's time I finally give up with this show lol :D
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    What I found totally incredible, was that 1 small windmill could not only clean the whole of the area enclosed in the dome within minutes, but could also stop the wind! Magic!
    I figure it was The Dome that stopped the wind once it saw that The Townsfolk had figured out how to filter the air? ;-)
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    How are Sam and Lyle the same age more or less?
    I guess Lyle has just had a harder life. :p
    I think it's time I finally give up with this show
    I've been saying this since episode #2, yet I keep watching the next one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Rachelle Lefevre is one of the main reasons I keep watching.

That and seeing how ridiculous things can get.

And the vague hope that there is a good reason for the dome.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same, well I used to just watch and laugh at how bad it was but now I don't even laugh :(:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otis Hill wrote: »
    How are Sam and Lyle the same age more or less? Its been referenced several times that they grew up together and must have been in high school together since the original 4 hands were so close, but the only way I could see Lyle being in high school with the rest of them is if he was a member of the staff because he looks about 15-20 years older than Sam

I've just looked the actors real ages up and there's a 22 age gap. Born in 1956 and 1978. :p
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I figure it was The Dome that stopped the wind once it saw that The Townsfolk had figured out how to filter the air? ;-)...
    Ahh right, Another one of Big Jim's "tests" that he keeps going on about.

It's like one big game show!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This really has to be the worst written and acted show on TV at the moment - but it's still horribly watchable as car crash TV.

The Last Ship is also crap but it's laugh-along nonsense rather than laugh at it nonsense. At least TLS has the whole planet to explore rather than a small town of idiots.