The Strain US Pace Season 1

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Granted.

Replicate? Are these Vampires Technological all of a sudden?

Reproduce is what you mean, surely? :p ;-)

LOL Yes I meant reproduce, I thought replicate wasn't quite the word.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really care if he is trying to keep his son or not, and it is obvious he puts his job a head of his son.
    Yes, "F" :D is the worst character in the show (tho' I've only watched episode #1). We really don't need another self-obsessed, driven, prima-donna who can't even dress himself.

As for the "oh-no, my wife is leaving me and I luv my son - but I'm so torn between them and my job" .... boring, predictable and unoriginal! I dislike being taken for a sucker, and this sort of simplistic emotional manipulation doesn't make me want to watch the show.
    However, I'll stick with it - just so long as it doesn't turn into yet another crappy vampire drama. :o
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening ten minutes of episode 1 was so badly written and acted I thought this was a SyFy Original I was watching. Luckily it got a bit better by the end. The little French girl appearing at the end was creepy as hell.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got around to watching the first episode. Very good. Was legitimately freaked out by bits. Mainly whenever the worms came on tbf, anything like that always makes me really itchy. I was worried at the start. The acting in the first couple scenes were pretty awful and cheesy. In the plane, and then the "planes are big houses with wings". But it got alot better. It was a brilliant way to open a show, Im excited!!!
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up and watched "It's not for everyone" last night, got to say this show is pretty good, not amazingly good but enough to keep me interested. I liked seeing the changes happening to those people turning into vampires, but I'm a little weirded out by how they keep showing their ken doll crotches, like gross! Also I'm glad we got to see some real vampire hunter action. The wife with the angry neighbor was great.

Now I'm just watching to see if it turns into some sort of epidemic situation (give the name, I hope it's coming) where huge groups of people start getting infected, that will be cool to see I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL This show is ticking all the right boxes for me.

Just enough humour not to take itself too seriously but enough horror to be scary.

Loved the bit with the neighbour, serves him right.

I did get annoyed when the CDC lady gave the speech about not killing the infected. rolleyes.

The girl and father were dead already (even before their heads were cut off).

All she had to do was set the bodies on fire to stop the infection, yet she thought it was like killing them. rolleyes again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all very silly and enjoyable :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    This is all very silly and enjoyable :)

I'm only on episode 3 but I can't decide what to make of it yet, whether it is seriously good or brilliantly bad. I just wish someone would turn a light on occasionally.
  • PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it on the laptop this morning, it's getting a lot better! All the sewer people chasing the guy, was really freaky. It was really interesting seeing the flashbacks to the 40s when the badass guy was just learning what kind of evil this is, he's probably my favorite character.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Just watched it on the laptop this morning, it's getting a lot better! All the sewer people chasing the guy, was really freaky. It was really interesting seeing the flashbacks to the 40s when the badass guy was just learning what kind of evil this is, he's probably my favorite character.

It does seem to have picked up the pace now (thankfully).

If given the choice, I'd rather have seen a show based around Abraham in the 40's and onwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The books are amazing and I am really enjoying seeing the stories come alive on the screen.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still enjoying this, and presume that now the "vampires" have gone public (if the one who's started attacking people in the old peoples' home is anything to go by), that the story will now quickly ramp up to a city-wide epidemic, rather than just following our heroes in trying to stop things before they go too far...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another really good episode, what with the eclipse and more gory action.

This is to Vampires what 'The Walking Dead' is to Zombies.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it too. Some good special effects & moving along at a good pace.
    Much better than the boring 'Extant'.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it too. Some good special effects & moving along at a good pace.
    Much better than the boring 'Extant'.

Yes, it's an intelligent take on the Vampire genre and you have to pay attention to what is going on. I just hope it stays that way and doesn't become too silly like True Blood did. With Guillermo del Toro in charge then the signs are good

Along with The Leftovers (which is strange but interesting) this is my favourite new summer show. Extant is boring and The Last Ship is a good laugh but basically crap version of Star Trek on a boat.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, it's an intelligent take on the Vampire genre and you have to pay attention to what is going on. I just hope it stays that way and doesn't become too silly like True Blood did. With Guillermo del Toro in charge then the signs are good

It definitely won't be True Blood.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Didn't like Abraham having heart problems whilst out hunting. I have the feeling he will die near the end of the season, leaving "Eph" in charge, and I really don't like "Eph".
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

What?! :o

It started out silly and has, if anything, got even sillier.

Some of it is just pure cheese. I'm enjoying it, but I do roll my eyes on a lot of what's going on.

Why didn't Eph explain in detail to his wife what is happening? He's even got a video on his phone. Just show her that. Don't just keep saying "Trust me. You need to leave New York. Just trust me." over and over.

Why would the boyfriend confront those two, obviously dangerous, people in the hallway all by himself like he's John Rambo?

Why has the rat catcher said almost nothing to nobody? If I saw things like that down the sewers I'd get someone to check it out immediately. And then he sees two people burn to death through sunlight, and still says nothing? Come on!

And that's just from the latest episode. I could go on and on about what's happened previously.

It's a fun, enjoyable, mindless 40 minutes. But intelligent it is not. :D
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Why didn't Eph explain in detail to his wife what is happening? He's even got a video on his phone. Just show her that. Don't just keep saying "Trust me. You need to leave New York. Just trust me." over and over.
    Didn't he destroy his phone to stop himself from being tracked?
    Why would the boyfriend confront those two, obviously dangerous, people in the hallway all by himself like he's John Rambo?
    Short of said people attacking his friend/colleague, the boyfriend has no idea what he's up against.
    Why has the rat catcher said almost nothing to nobody? If I saw things like that down the sewers I'd get someone to check it out immediately. And then he sees two people burn to death through sunlight, and still says nothing? Come on!
    In Shock maybe? Maybe he can't quite believe what it is that he's seeing?

I am curious how the rat catchers colleagues became infected though...
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Didn't he destroy his phone to stop himself from being tracked?

He got rid of the SIM card, but kept the phone as that had his evidence on it.

I'm liking the rat-catcher fella, I suspect that he will be the most likely "Action Hero" type character. I'm also hoping there's more of the Sean Astin / Latino 'hood odd-couple penned in for the rest of the series.
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am about halfway through the first book and it is sufficiently different for me to not be too worried about spoiling the TV show.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The guys in the diner already knew of his "bald people in the sewers" story, and considered it nonsense, suggesting that he has told some people and been laughed off.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    He got rid of the SIM card, but kept the phone as that had his evidence on it.

I'm liking the rat-catcher fella, I suspect that he will be the most likely "Action Hero" type character. I'm also hoping there's more of the Sean Astin / Latino 'hood odd-couple penned in for the rest of the series.

The rat catcher is pretty good, nice to see the threat being discovered from different angles.

Whilst the first episode wasn't great, I'm glad that I've kept up with this - has to be one of the better shows currently airing.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Was it explained anywhere how the colleagues of the rat catcher became infected?
    platelet wrote: »
    This pleases me.