Hair dyed at hairdressers and I hate it! What to do?

cold tootsiescold tootsies Posts: 324
Forum Member
Hi, I just wondered if I have any right to ring and ask if they can change it?
I asked for a mid, rich caramel brown but it's come out very dark. I knew I didn't like it as soon as it was done but didn't have the confidence (or heart) to say anything. I hoped that I'd get used to it and it would maybe wash out abit but I still really don't like it.

Will they just tell me that I'll have to pay to get it changed?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Sorry your not happy with your hair. If you don't want to go back to the hairdressers it will fade after a few washes anyway but try using a clarifying shampoo as this will fade the colour even quicker but watch out for your hair going dry. I hope this works :)
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I wanted my hair light blond on top and dark brown underneath (it was in fashion then honest!). The hairdresser dyed my whole head dark brown first then proceeded to start bleaching the top. I thought it was odd she dyed it brown to then bleach it but I trusted that she knew what she was doing. She applied the bleach several times and it was burning my scalp but it wouldn't go light enough, it was orange! I went home upset but plucked up the courage to call her to get it fixed, she was really annoyed and said it was what I had asked for! She agreed to dye the orange bit to the dark brown colour to correct it but as you can imagine my hair was not in very good condition for a while after that.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just keep washing it every other day, it will continue to fade down.
    Apparently, Head & Shoulders fades colour quickly, use lots of conditioner though.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vosense will strip hair colour, but my was a blonde ombre so not sure how it would work on darker dye, I think you can buy hair strippers to strip colour but I would research it a bit more, if not go back and explain you are not happy with how the colour turned out, at the end of the day your paying for it so should get what you ask for.
  • ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you went back to the salon you still may not be able to get the caramel brown you originally wanted as tint won't lift tint so you'd probably have to use lightener to lift it to the shade you want. Probably highlights if you wanted it quite natural. Next time you are in the hairdressers try and have the courage to tell them if you aren't happy, they'd rather you say straight away as opposed to going away and then coming back after a while to say about it then they can try and fix it as soon as possible! Also remember next time when picking a colour that the colour charts use white nylon not human hair so the colour on them is never going to actually come out like that.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go back to the salon! Something similar's happened to me a couple of times and they've fixed it for me free of charge. Of course if the shade is very much darker it might take more than one session. I do urge you to go back to your stylist; a good stylist won't be offended and will be happy to see you.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep washing it in strong shampoo, not colour shampoo. Like Head and Shoulders or something, although personally on me I get dandruff when I use it, ironically. Use plenty of conditioner with it though. Or if that doesn't work in the next week, try a clarifier or use bicarbonate of soda and baby shampoo in a mix, scrub into the hair and rinse, follow with a vinegar cold water rinse. If all else fails, go and buy Colour B4. Follow the directions, it's a miracle product, superb. It causes no visible damage whatsoever and really works. If you use Colour B4 make sure you only leave the hair dye colour you want on for 15 minutes, as it will take quickly. Don't bother going to the hairdressers. Get a light brown or medium brown dye, the bits where you've had highlights will be lighter than the rest and will make highlights when dyed anyway. Good luck with it :)
  • Lola VLola V Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I used baking soda with head and shoulders and kept it in for about 10 minutes. I think I repeated that about 5 times and it was a bit lighter at least. Really amateur stuff from a hairdresser by the way!
  • Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    The reason you get a dry scalp using Head and Shoulders is because it's lethal! It totally strips your scalp so if you haven't got any flakiness you soon will have - that's why they encourage you to keep using it, it strips every wash. Awful stuff, really bad for your skin.

And real dandruff is thick, greasy clumps of scalp, not the fine flaky stuff :)
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently on a quest for a new hairdressers. Its so difficult to find one that 100% does what you want.

I have shoulder length blonde highlighted hair. I want white highlights, not yellow but white. Surely this can't be difficult ? But apparently it is. Last time I spent £100 on yellow hair. For the last 4 months I have spent a small fortune on shampoos that apparently take the brassy tones out of bleached hair, but no such luck.

Basically my wonderful and beloved hairdresser got herself preggers. I don't know, I thought I was more important than keeping the human race alive .... but I was wrong. Since then I have began my crusade to find a replacement.

I have now booked in somewhere else in just over a weeks time to give them a go. We will see.
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go back to the salon. Any reputable salon will redo your hair colour for you and there should be no additional cost.

Edit
    I would suggest going back to the salon before you start using home remedies to change the shade - as another poster has said - a professional colourist will have no problem with you going back and saying you're not happy