13»

Comments

• StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    M60 wrote: »
    Oh yes please!

I also hope so. Some of the regions are already HD equipped (London), and Plymouth will be when their refurnished main studio finally comes into operation later this year. :)
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also hope so. Some of the regions are already HD equipped (London), and Plymouth will be when their refurnished main studio finally comes into operation later this year. :)

Remember that Salford is also HD equipped as well.

And, it has been confirmed to me that North West Tonight packages are made in HD and downscaled - what a discgraceful waste of money! The sooner BBC1 North West HD comes the better.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »

Remember that Salford is also HD equipped as well.

And, it has been confirmed to me that North West Tonight packages are made in HD and downscaled - what a discgraceful waste of money! The sooner BBC1 North West HD comes the better.

The BBC need the infrastructure for all regions to have a HD version even if the news studios take longer in some regions.
    Upscaling the local news in some places wont hurt until money is found to make all the studios HD.
    Is it finally time to ditch having a network feed to all regional studios, that then has to go back to London and then finally to code and mux?
    They could do all opt outs at redbee by interspersing the regional opts into the network stream there.
    Its less flexible, but its a lot cheaper, as each region could upscaled at first, with the link from the regional studio upgraded when each studio goes HD.

The main thing is the sooner it's done the better.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC need the infrastructure for all regions to have a HD version even if the news studios take longer in some regions.
    Upscaling the local news in some places wont hurt until money is found to make all the studios HD.
    Is it finally time to ditch having a network feed to all regional studios, that then has to go back to London and then finally to code and mux?
    They could do all opt outs at redbee by interspersing the regional opts into the network stream there.
    Its less flexible, but its a lot cheaper, as each region could upscaled at first, with the link from the regional studio upgraded when each studio goes HD.

The main thing is the sooner it's done the better.

As much as doing the Opts at Red Bee is logical, it would probably take some time to set up with some downtime while signals are rerouted, it would also add more to the bill for Red Bees Services so might not be worth the cost.

Once the master feed is sent to the regional centres from Red Bee, it then doesn't return to Red Bee, it's then delivered to Arqiva who deal with the physical broadcast.
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,595
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    As much as doing the Opts at Red Bee is logical, it would probably take some time to set up with some downtime while signals are rerouted, it would also add more to the bill for Red Bees Services so might not be worth the cost.

Once the master feed is sent to the regional centres from Red Bee, it then doesn't return to Red Bee, it's then delivered to Arqiva who deal with the physical broadcast.

The regional feeds are delivered to the relevant C&M centre (there are two, one in the Midlands and White City's), switching is done by the BBC, RedBee just play out BBC One London which forms the UK backbone of BBC One in non-opts elsewhere.
  • Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "10225" off the EPG - was STV+1....but video is now the main STV channel, even though EPG date is still for +1???

Are STV and UTV +1 ever going to get their act together and get on the EPG?
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,595
    Forum Member
    Martyn1 wrote: »
    "10225" off the EPG - was STV+1....but video is now the main STV channel, even though EPG date is still for +1???

Are STV and UTV +1 ever going to get their act together and get on the EPG?

Potentially this could be STV NE (the Angus Tx region), maybe for further STV regionalisation? Seen as STV +1 has never made it on to the EPG it may as well be used for something!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Potentially this could be STV NE (the Angus Tx region), maybe for further STV regionalisation? Seen as STV +1 has never made it on to the EPG it may as well be used for something!

We'll have to check tomorrow. Are the ads different at all - ie are there four different ads going out occasionally? Will check when I get a chance.

Update in the morning or later tonight. Then on Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

10.906 V

I suspect this is STV East (Tayside) as there were 4 different adverts being carried.

STV West and STV North had different ads, when STV East and 10225 had the same ads.

Later in the break that has just finished, there were identifal ads on STV West and North with two separate ads on STV East and this one.

So this must be STV East (Tayside) because as far as I know there are only 4 STV's.

Is that right - and please can someone confirm the correct name - is it

STV South
    STV East (Tayside)
    STV North East
    STV Angus

or what?

Thanks
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    The regional feeds are delivered to the relevant C&M centre (there are two, one in the Midlands and White City's), switching is done by the BBC, RedBee just play out BBC One London which forms the UK backbone of BBC One in non-opts elsewhere.

The BBC will not launch a few BBC One HD English regions
    until they can launch them ALL in 1 go within a day or days of eachother.

They are duty bound to, in the best circumstance, to give equal treatment.

I think they will come after the remaining BBC Two HD regions/nations.

2015 maybe????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

10.906 V

This is confirmed as the Angus feed of STV - just need the official name now please

Thanks
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

2015 maybe????

Well, considering that no decision has been made, id love to know how you think they're duty bound too...
    BBC One HD nations didn't all launch at once, there was no outcry or even a Daily Mail attack, so again....... How did you work that out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

12.515 H

will be Bonanza Bonanza

This channel is still not on air yet.

The update will reflect that in the test list later this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE

10.906 V

The correct name for this channel is "STV Tayside". I just contacted STV to find out its correct name - so now we know.

No date known for EPG launch though
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,944
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

2015 maybe????

They also have to decide whether the BBC Two National Regions should continue. One option is to close them whilst at the same time announcing the introduction of BBC One English regions in HD. To some (admittedly limited) extent the cost of one would be offset by the savings of the other.

Using this week as an example BBC Two NI carries only 2 Gaelic programmes and has no variations on 5 of 7 days. BBC Two Wales has only Sport Wales and Scrum V on Friday night and has no variations (other than national programmes moved to other slots) on 6 of 7 days.

BBC Two Scotland has River City on Sunday (6 to 7) and My Life in Books/Beechgrove Garden on Thursday (7 to 8). There is Scotland 2014 on Mon to Thu at 10.30 but it is unclear whether that will remain after the Referendum and could move to BBC One at 1035 in any event even if it does.

All of the above could easily be absorbed into the BBC One schedules in Sco/Wal/NI - indeed the limited amounts of opt out programmes on BBC Two for the National Regions might suggest they are moving in that direction.

Does the limited amount of "national region" programming on BBC Two Sco/Wal/NI justify the expense in transmission, continuity and other costs when there are plenty of suitable slots on BBC One available there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    They also have to decide whether the BBC Two National Regions should continue. One option is to close them whilst at the same time announcing the introduction of BBC One English regions in HD. To some (admittedly limited) extent the cost of one would be offset by the savings of the other.

Using this week as an example BBC Two NI carries only 2 Gaelic programmes and has no variations on 5 of 7 days. BBC Two Wales has only Sport Wales and Scrum V on Friday night and has no variations (other than national programmes moved to other slots) on 6 of 7 days.

BBC Two Scotland has River City on Sunday (6 to 7) and My Life in Books/Beechgrove Garden on Thursday (7 to 8). There is Scotland 2014 on Mon to Thu at 10.30 but it is unclear whether that will remain after the Referendum and could move to BBC One at 1035 in any event even if it does.

All of the above could easily be absorbed into the BBC One schedules in Sco/Wal/NI - indeed the limited amounts of opt out programmes on BBC Two for the National Regions might suggest they are moving in that direction.

Does the limited amount of "national region" programming on BBC Two Sco/Wal/NI justify the expense in transmission, continuity and other costs when there are plenty of suitable slots on BBC One available there.

I would have thought if they were going to do that, they would have to sort out a solution for Welsh rugby - Scrum V. If that was on BBC1 Wales on a Friday night, where would they put the One Show, Eastenders, etc - and as for Children In Need night it would be an absolute no no.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,944
    Forum Member
    I would have thought if they were going to do that, they would have to sort out a solution for Welsh rugby - Scrum V. If that was on BBC1 Wales on a Friday night, where would they put the One Show, Eastenders, etc - and as for Children In Need night it would be an absolute no no.

How about:-
    7.00 The One Show
    7.30 Scrum V
    9.30 Eastenders
    10.00 News
    10.35 Scrappers
    11.05 Boomers
    11.35 Big School
    12.05 Eastenders Omnibus

or put Sport Wales at 11.05, start Eastenders Omnibus at 11.35 as elsewhere and show Boomers and Big School elsewhere in the week.

Children in Need night is a one off - no Scrum V that week or move it to BBC RB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7.00 The One Show
    7.30 Scrum V
    9.30 Eastenders
    10.00 News
    10.35 Scrappers
    11.05 Boomers
    11.35 Big School
    12.05 Eastenders Omnibus

or put Sport Wales at 11.05, start Eastenders Omnibus at 11.35 as elsewhere and show Boomers and Big School elsewhere in the week.

Children in Need night is a one off - no Scrum V that week or move it to BBC RB.

And when would Graham Norton's show sit? Forgot about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7.00 The One Show
    7.30 Scrum V
    9.30 Eastenders
    10.00 News
    10.35 Scrappers
    11.05 Boomers
    11.35 Big School
    12.05 Eastenders Omnibus

I now hear of extra rugby coverage for BBC2 Scotland so it is unlikely the BBC2 nations will be closing any time soon.

As the rugby is now on both Wales AND Scotland BBC2, this strengthens the case for BBC2 HD nations feeds.

A link to this page appeared in the DTT Freeview forum

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/14/08/15/bbc-scotland-boost-live-rugby-coverage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 35 is now available. Please post your observations here.
    Test list updated plus Local TV updated Will try to fix the broken links for week 36 - sorry
    Enjoy.. Week 35 will I hope be posted on Thursday. As some of you know, I have been unwell as is my mum so have had less time than I had hoped recently.
    Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread week 35 can be found
    Here
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please ignore, posted by error.
  • obrienmichael05obrienmichael05 Posts: 3,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE

12.515 H

will be Bonanza Bonanza

This channel is still not on air yet.

The update will reflect that in the test list later this morning.
    Isn't Bonanza Bonanza usually a place holder until a new channel launches?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct it is but it is not BonanzaBoanza

This thread is closing so please use week 35

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.