Text message re Met Police exercise in London on 1st September

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Err the threat level is still at the SECOND highest level,

Yes, the made up thread level that doesn't mean anything.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Hi wonkeydoney, I am your bank manager. Unfortunate I can not release the email in these publics because it could hijacked by the scammers. You will need to contact me your bank manager through the private message function of this web page. Because the united Kindoms has a elevated terrorist level your details will needs to be transferred to Nigeria instead of the London for processment. Please do not worry as I am direct contact with the Abuja bureau of your bank. Your details is safe with me.

Please do not go in to your branch to enquire about this message because the staff will not be legally allow help yourselves. The staffings trained to pretend not know anything because of terrorists. If you enquire you will arrest by law enforcements for terroristm. Strictly this needs be done on the internet.

:D Very good.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    If there was an imminent threat like that and there was intelligence behind it, chances are you wouldn't know about it until after they were caught and even then it's unlikely.

The amount of plots that are foiled every month would make a lot of people unable to sleep at night, but you rarely hear about it.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Yes, the made up thread level that doesn't mean anything.

And what thread level is this thread? :D
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a DDOTS* attack on London Underground

*Distibuted Denial of Tube Service
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Would that be under the "Panic" section, or the "Don't Panic" section?

Keep Calm & Carry On section:

https://twitter.com/BTP_B_Division

Social media contains lots of rumours regarding threats to tube network tomorrow.

There is no specific threat so keep calm & carry on

Rumour control: The "alert" doing the rounds on social about all Met officers being called in for 4am tomorrow is a hoax.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    If there was an imminent threat like that and there was intelligence behind it, chances are you wouldn't know about it until after they were caught and even then it's unlikely.

The amount of plots that are foiled every month would make a lot of people unable to sleep at night, but you rarely hear about it.

So how do you know then?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    Condescending much? And no real need for the lecture.

I got a couple of text messages, saw that the same rumour was flying arihnd elsewhere, and threw it out to a popular forum to see what anyone knows.

Well it WAS quite amusing. :blush: Especially the bit about every police officer starting work at the same time.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumour control: The "alert" doing the rounds on social about all Met officers being called in for 4am tomorrow is a hoax.

Yeah, there's NO chance you'd get a Met bobby on day shift out of his pit that early! :D

P.S. the overtime bill would be crippling :p
    Especially the bit about every police officer starting work at the same time.

London would run out of coffee and doughnuts and bacon sarnies...
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I have been forwarded a message from two different people in the past few hours about a terror threat in London tomorrow.

It reads:

Any truth to the story regarding the Police? Anyone know any Met officers?

That was around yesterday, meaning today.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even Buzzfeed is telling people its a hoax FGS. Not stopping idiots on Facebook going mental about it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/there-isnt-a-specific-threat-to-londons-tube-network-despite
    Forum Member
    :o Thank heavens you are here to warn us. Please message me with the right email address to send all my bank details to.

Actually, this kind of thing is a bit irritating. After 7-7 there was a time when it was quite unpleasant for muslims to travel by tube. There were cases of them being shoved off a (stationary) train and ordered to get into a different carriage. Then good old British common sense resumed, and people started travelling as normal and not behaving like buffoons.

I would have thought it was quite unpleasant for everybody!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »

It was a little edgy, yes. Both my husband and my daughter were working in central london and I didn't really like it. But what can you do? You can't WALK the 28 mile round trip.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone think that if there was a genuine, specific terror threat, that the information regarding it would be passed around by text?
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same hoax went round a few times after the tube bombings. Don't think they've altered the content at all.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Brazilian electricians will be getting nervous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only for the first week or so afterwards, if I remember right. Most people just got back on, though it was quieter to begin with. Clearly some felt safer taking other forms of transport for a while. We all still had to get to work or school.
    Forum Member
    It was a little edgy, yes. Both my husband and my daughter were working in central london and I didn't really like it. But what can you do? You can't WALK the 28 mile round trip.

Are you shouting?

I was just pointing out that it must have been unpleasant for everyone, not just the Muslims.
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Only for the first week or so afterwards, if I remember right. Most people just got back on, though it was quieter to begin with. Clearly some felt safer taking other forms of transport for a while. We all still had to get to work or school.

Yes, I can see, needs must, and all that. I think I would have been very apprehensive getting back on though. :o
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

Anyone know any Met officers?

Yes and he seems rather relaxed at the moment. Although slightly stressed at the amount of people asking him if there are terror attacks imminent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I can see, needs must, and all that. I think I would have been very apprehensive getting back on though. :o

That's understandable, but even the afternoon of the attack people had started going back to normal. I remember I had to walk to Euston from the city at 5pm to get an overland and the pubs on the way were fairly full of those whose overland lines weren't working either. People seem to be pretty good at just getting on with it, on the whole. There was nothing anyone could do so they were just making the best of it.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Mythica wrote: »
    So how do you know then?

It's not exactly a secret, it's just generally how these things operate.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    It's not exactly a secret, it's just generally how these things operate.

What?:confused: You said you rarely here about them. If we rarely here about them, then how do you know there is loads?
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    What?:confused: You said you rarely here about them. If we rarely here about them, then how do you know there is loads?

My niece, a school secretary, was telling me recently that the standards of English grammar had risen of late, I must show her this post.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    My niece, a school secretary, was telling me recently that the standards of English grammar had risen of late, I must show her this post.

No doubt she'll be aghast.