Homewrecking penguin!

Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Penguins may be very cute but they are also wild animals with private lives that can closely resemble our own.

This National Geographic video is a real eye opener.

Prepare to have your heart broken as some poor sod comes home from a hard day's fishing only to be astounded to see his cheating **** of a wife shacking up with the latest badboy! :D

The fight is really brutal though but I was backing the husband all the way and I think he left with his dignity intact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrHeKcZV7vA

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I'll try and dig up the YT links, but in one of the programmes I have seen about penguins fairly recently there was a male penguin infatuated with a fake penguin containing a hidden camera inside in order to film the real penguins. When his female partner came home, she gave the fake penguin a stern ticking off. The two real penguins got back together though.

ETA.
    Penguin Robot Love Fail
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXY-3Cuo9pE

Penguins are gorge though. I've seen them at the London Aquarium where they have their own space and you can see them inches away swimming underwater in a special tank.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I'll try and dig up the YT links, but in one of the programmes I have seen about penguins fairly recently there was a male penguin infatuated with a fake penguin containing a hidden camera inside in order to film the real penguins. When his female partner came home, she gave the fake penguin a stern ticking off. The two real penguins got back together though.

ETA.
    Penguin Robot Love Fail

Interesting video -thanks. :)

It is quite the soap opera amongst the penguin colonies!

I had seen them cheating on documentaries before but never such a determined (and brutal) fight between two males.

Only the other week I saw an unfaithful husband and his bit on the side get a bloody good kicking from his returning missus - now that was hilarious! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thieving penguin - the cheeky little git! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07qZ4eNZrw
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "but sweetie, all us penguins look the same"......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "but sweetie, all us penguins look the same"......

Are you being a vile penguinist?

I am reporting you to the mods at once! >:(

:D:D:D
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

ETA.
    Penguin Robot Love Fail

Penguins are gorge though. I've seen them at the London Aquarium where they have their own space and you can see them inches away swimming underwater in a special tank.

In the wild, they're not quite as black/white and smart, and a colony of them stinks a fair bit:D Still one of the planet's cutest groups of animals though. I've been privileged to see about 5000 of them take to the ocean in the penguin variant of a Mexican wave. Gentoos, not a large species, but very distinctive.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Missus loves penguins and she's got a live feed to some penguin sanctuary on her mobile phone.
    Makes for interesting viewing at feeding time.

Amazing how an animal that's so awkward on land become little rocket-ships when they're in the water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you being a vile penguinist?

I am reporting you to the mods at once! >:(

:D:D:D

im not penguinist, but i just dont think they should be living in a temperute urban landscape.

their all very well in their own areas, i noticed some have migrated to hulls aqaurium, the deep. but if i saw them in the middle of town id have no hesitation in ringing the athourites to send them back where they came from....
    Forum Member
    im not penguinist, but i just dont think they should be living in a temperute urban landscape.

their all very well in their own areas, i noticed some have migrated to hulls aqaurium, the deep. but if i saw them in the middle of town id have no hesitation in ringing the athourites to send them back where they came from....

They're pretty bird brained, I'm not sure how much they notice. A predator free pool, plenty of fish, and sexy lady and gentlemen penguins, I reckon they're quite happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    They're pretty bird brained, I'm not sure how much they notice. A predator free pool, plenty of fish, and sexy lady and gentlemen penguins, I reckon they're quite happy.

i think their bird-brained too..... its what i focus on when i make penguin jokes.

well, their not like us, are they?...
    Forum Member
    i think their bird-brained too..... its what i focus on when i make penguin jokes.

They exhibit lots of pseudo human behaviour traits of course, particularly sexually, but no, not the least like us really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They may have a bird brain but that is now as misleading an insult as comparing someone to a dinosaur.

Look at the Corvids and Parrots on the animal intelligence thread! :D
    Forum Member
    They may have a bird brain but that is now as misleading an insult as comparing someone to a dinosaur.

Look at the Corvids and Parrots on the animal intelligence thread! :D

They're really not amongst the smarter birds:D They make up for it in appearance and cute behaviour to win our affection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    They're really not amongst the smarter birds:D They make up for it in appearance and cute behaviour to win our affection.

They actually are very smart - it's their comical appearance (to us) on land that makes people vastly underestimate them.

Chris Packham's superb new BBC4 series 'The Wonder of Animals' had an episode on their incredible evolutionary adaptations as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04dq5tb

The show is a tremendous watch for any animal lovers and incorporates all the latest scientific research on the groups of species it features. ^_^

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04dq51x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    My husband used to look after Gentoo Penguins. Loved them to bits. Although they had a nasty bite if they caught your fingers instead of the fish you were feeding them. With living by the sea we have had various incidents around here of people calling the Police saying there is a Penguin on the rocks. Em no its a Cormorant. :D:D
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    My husband used to look after Gentoo Penguins. Loved them to bits. Although they had a nasty bite if they caught your fingers instead of the fish you were feeding them. With living by the sea we have had various incidents around here of people calling the Police saying there is a Penguin on the rocks. Em no its a Cormorant. :D:D

But are they cormorants or are they shags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_shag
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thieving penguin - the cheeky little git! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07qZ4eNZrw

That was hilarious! :D

The thief was so sneaky and sly about it. :D As the penguin was bringing back back the stones, the thief was pretending not to care. But as soon as the penguin turned their back, he/she was there in a flash!

Got caught out in the end though! :D

Wonderful, smart little birds. :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    This is what happens when you mix Linux with Windows :p *ends geek moment*
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a college student, take my advice by NEVER bringing a penguin with you!
    Forum Member
    Interesting video -thanks. :)

I downloaded the whole series from YT (3 one hour programmes IIRC), but the links seemed to be removed, as presumably the BBC weren't happy, it being copyright material.
    Forum Member
    charlie1 wrote: »

I wouldn't describe most of them as little, not like a house sparrow or finch for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charlie1 wrote: »
    That was hilarious! :D

The thief was so sneaky and sly about it. :D As the penguin was bringing back back the stones, the thief was pretending not to care. But as soon as the penguin turned their back, he/she was there in a flash!

Got caught out in the end though! :D

He was such a sneaky little git - I always remembered that scene! :D:D:D
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    He was such a sneaky little git - I always remembered that scene! :D:D:D

Did you see the one with Rocky (I think that's his name) the penguin and his wife shacking up with another penguin whilst he listened outside.

I'm going to look for the clip but that made me laugh.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    have a look at www.penguincorner.co.uk if you like penguins
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of a Jeremy Kyle episode.
    I was expecting 'security' penguins to step in.