Options

Dunno why... but i re-made thunderbirds like Doctor who...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well obviously not fully - i just came up with an idea of how to re-vamp it 'who-style'.

I figured one night 'if a 1960's series about a time traveller who met alot of plastic fake looking (but very close to my heart) monsters come back with such capasity - then why can't a 1960's series about puppets and futuristic machines saving people come back the same way?

And both series are simular.

Wonderfully weird storylines
Great characters
Both series had wooden acting (Sorry i had to do it :D )
Both came out in the 60's and were extremely popular.
Both had unpopular movies made
Both had TWO movies made shortly after the series came out in the 60's.

So here's my idea for episode 1. (Remember that in mine i invision real life actors - but good ones ;) And the Thunderbird machines and Island havent changed to much. Just subtle little changes)

S1A: Tin-Tin
Young private school girl Tin-Tin comes to Tracy Island for one of her infrequent holidays away from school where she is studying mathematics and advanced technical theory and engineering. She announces that she wants to leave private school and spend time on the island studying the animal life there. Kyrano is overjoyed, but the family he works for seem surprised and in a stressed sort of way… She starts to think they don’t want her there, they don’t show any of it on their face, but they’re keeping something from her…

Then, whilst out in the island researching, she notices something very odd… she hears the sound of thunder… thinking that the weather is going to turn nasty, she runs towards the house – then – to her astonishment…. The pool opens up!!

Thunderbird 1 – the famous rescue vehicle she has seen on the news stations millions of times has just taken off right in front of her.

She runs inside – and finds Jeff Tracy at the control desk… he’s trying to act as if there’s nothing wrong – but it’s too late… Tin-Tin has already discovered the truth – she is living at international rescue!

Kyrano and Jeff come clean. They tour her around the amazing Tracy Island systems that the Thunderbird machines are stored… And she learns of her Uncle… one she never knew of…. ‘The hood’ a one man enemy to international rescue… but his reasons for his envy is yet unknown… with powers which some would call witchcraft.

But what the Tracy’s don’t know is that the Hood has a mind lock on Tin-Tin. Now she knows of International Rescues secrets, so does the Hood… so he plans to hijack Heathrow airport and control all air traffic.

A passenger manages to make contact with IR, but the Hood’s hypnotised henchmen (normal holiday makers but are useful due to their physique) find them and takes him to be held prisoner. But when one of the planes gets out of control, the Plans of the Hood could go horribly wrong. However, IR is on the way, with Thunderbirds 1 and 2 ready for repair. They manage to stop the plane from crashing, (the plane has Tin-Tin on board).

The Tracy brothers meet up with Tin-Tin, and when Virgil gets taken Prisoner by the Hood, it is up to Tin-Tin to take his place with Thunderbird 2… (With a little help from Brains of course.)

The Hood has planted a bomb on one of the airplane vehicles and one of the aircraft – and as he escapes Heathrow airport in his vehicle, the IR must tackle the task of finding the plane with a bomb on it, and the vehicle on the ground. Both bombs will cause utter destruction on both air and land.

Thunderbird 1 finds the aircraft with its Bomb ready to explode in 5 minutes. Whilst Thunderbird one tries to plant one of its team into the aircraft, Lady Penelope chases after the Hood with Parker. Traffic jams on the M65 don’t help their chase.

Thunderbird 1’s mission is a success, however, the Hood has a plan B… he has a mind lock on the crew… they are programmed to crash the plane…

Penelope gets impatient with the traffic, and even though they have a danger of being seen by the public, FAB 1 gets into action by slimming. It speeds through all the traffic at super speed!

Meanwhile, on the aircraft, it’s too late for the passengers and crew of the aircraft… Thunderbird two tries to rescue it, but the lack of ways to stop the aircraft crashing means that Thunderbird 2 has to try and save it in a some way ‘primitive way’ which makes it an unsuccessful rescue.

Lady Penelope and Parker catch up with the hood, who has parked in a nearby lay-by to watch the plane he planted the bomb on Crash in a near by airfield. They sneak up on him, destroying his mind lock.

The crew are un-locked from the mind of the Hood. They manage to delay the aircraft from crashing, and Thunderbird two must release the three vehicles to try and land the aircraft on.

They manage it with struggled success. The passengers are taken off the aircraft and checked to see if their mind lock is completely gone.

However, Alan confronts Tin - Tin about the deaths she saw that day (There will be some occasional deaths, I will fit them in somewhere) He explains how it’s not easy being in IR. How every day almost they have to go through life and death situations…

END

So what do yah think?
It's only a rough outline. Plus i think (like rose yes i know) we should centre the story around one character and her realisation (along with the new viewers) of this fantastic world she never knew exsisted.

What would you change? (In my episode and in your revamped series) Basically: How do you think Thunderbirds should come back?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome. This thread may rival the 'Star Trek should be about Ghosts' thread.

I think Jonathan Frakes interpretation of TB cannot be beaten.....

...cough.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Addy2Hotty wrote:
    I think Jonathan Frakes interpretation of TB cannot be beaten.....

...cough.
    Cough?

Choke more like. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread may rival the 'Star Trek should be about Ghosts'

I have a feeling this is a sarcastic comment..... i dunno i may be wrong because i havent read the Star trek ghost thread....

Enlighten me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NAF wrote:
    I have a feeling this is a sarcastic comment..... i dunno i may be wrong because i havent read the Star trek ghost thread....

Enlighten me :D

Go find and bump it, its awwwweeesome stuff. May give you some good ideas too....;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it.
    :sleep:

Proper comments please from actual thunderbirds fans! Ta!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeh, Addy2Hotty, i'd appreciate it if you saved your sarcastic comments until you've actually READ the idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NAF wrote:
    Oh yeh, Addy2Hotty, i'd appreciate it if you saved your sarcastic comments until you've actually READ the idea.

uhhhh, I read the idea NAF for heavens sake.

I'll give you my honest opinion. You said that you've 'redone' it in the DW style. Where? It's like a typical episode of the old series of TB, and I was big fan of it as a child. Having the odd shocking death doesn't make it particularly different. Sorry.

So there. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right.

Well i suppose it just like an old episode (I find that a great compliment btw! Thanks!)

But i suppose there would be more characterisation during the rest of the series. This was only a quick idea.

Im a fan too - which was ur fav thunderbird? Mine was Thunderbird 2! :D:D
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dervish lives!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has anyone got any ideas of how they'd bring back Thunderbirds? What would you change/keep the same?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thunderbirds is so ripe for a live action TV series and was possibly the first ever Brit show to be written with such American characterisation that it would be a hit on both sides of the Atlantic.

This is exactly the sort of innovative show that Sky should be thinking about. Though they would need a US partener.

I suspect the big problem is the vast budget that the special effects would require. Rather easier with puppets and miniatures than real life.

Maybe someone should suggest this revival to the team behind Stargate SG 1 now that this is ending. They have the pull with MGM and could make a go of it and are used to partnership deals with Sky.

Sadly, as it is still better loved here than in the US (where I recall Jonathon Frakes saying it was little known) then it would be up to a UK company to lead the fight and there is where the lack of budget would come in.

Knowing Sky it would end up as the Tracy twins flying two reconditioned hanggliders with a secret base under a gasworks in Southall.

Would not be the same.

But I do hope this happens one day. Thunderbirds is such a great story and even more relevant to the 21st century. It should happen. But likely as not we will just get yet more series set in hospitals and police stations.

Mores the pity.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Against my better judgement I'm going to chuck my two cents in just to make my 200th post! I definitely need to get a life.

The failure of the Frakes revival, though no fault of his, was centering the story around children and essentially making it a kids film.

The brilliance of the Gerry Anderson originals was that they didn't talk down to kids, they were made as if aiming at an adult audience and thus were able to appeal across the generations.

J Frakes's film showed that it would be perfectly possible to make a great live-actor version of Thunderbirds, Tracy Island and the TB machines were great, the Hood whirling round like a Dervish was cool, it just needs to be made with good stories pitched for adults - the kids would watch and love it.

Also - don't be a Frakes and ditch one of the best theme tunes ever written for some boy-band cobblers and don't ditch the brilliant introduction 5.....4.....3....2......1 Thunderbirds are go! Man, I'm getting excited already!

Sadly I doubt anybody will be risking the substantial amount of money that would be required to make a live-actor revival after the failure of the film, which leaves CGI like Captain Scarlet as the only option. Forget it is my opinion on that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I thought the Frakes movie was a great exercise in turd polishing. Thunderbirds to me has always been one of the most irredemibly terrible programs ever made. Yet Frakes actually managed to make a really quite fun and enjoyable movie out of it.

Sure, it's not going to tax your brain, but at least it doesn't send it running out your ears like the TV show does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be brilliant to see the same old 5....4....3....2....1.... Thunderbirds are go! Then clips of the episode to come in a brand new episode?

Puppets would be cool - but after team america - i doubt that people would take it seriously in the slot i would like it to be in (7:00pm on A saturday)