Age restrictions and films.

2»

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Turquoise wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about that- there isn't much wrong with the Mighty Boosh. It's a light haerted comedy at the end of the day. And it's on TV so it's liely the child has seen it before. I'm not 15 yet, and I watch it, as do many people in my year.

My Mum agred to buy an 18 rated Shameless box set on my behalf (she bought it, I paid her back for it) an the basis that I'd seen most of the fourth series on TV.
    I do consider myself mature enough to watch it, and I think she does as well.

I have never understood the whole 'protecting children's innocence' thing. Surely by allowing them to see sex and violence we are teaching them about it? Not all of us are naive enough to think that just because somebody does something on TV it makes it OK.

If I had my way, I'd scrap age rating and just put a list of material in the DVD/film that could be offensive/problematic on the back, and let people decide for themsleves if it was OK.

eg: 'Contains some strong language, a brief sexual scene, some comedy violence and material related to an adult lifestyle (ie the film might not be enjoyable to children).

You have a very wise head on such young shoulders. However not all children are as mature in their thinking as you are.

I often feel like I had grown up in a totally different world to teenagers today. My teenage years were very strict and controlled in what was deemed suitable on television and of course what I read.

I was not allowed to watch "Girls On Top" as my mother considered it to be unsuitable material. I watched it the other day and I could not see why my mother considered this programme to be so evil.

She also did not like Sue Townsend books or allowed me to read any Ian Fleming.

So naturally,we had a lot of restrictions to what we could not watch or even read.

I assume that is why I am so staunch on my views to what children should or should not be watching.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone would care to post what year it was released so I can work out how old I would have been,as I've forgotten when it came out...........anyway I was watching Full Metal Jacket and Mum said she wasn't having me watching it because the language was disgusting,she confiscated the tape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it horrifying when mums just let kids watch any DVD they like regardless of the certification.

I know a few who do this and when I mentioned it I was told to mind my own business.

I watched Heartbreak Kid the other day which is rated R UK 15. My grand daughter wanted to watch it she is 15 I wouldnt let her, there were things in this film that I didnt think were very nice for a young girl to watch, especially at the end of the film, where they were showing beastiality scenes with a donkey which i thought was totally unnecessary IMHO.

We had the same in another film which was of the same genre as Heartbreak Kid, and in the credits it was showing bizarre sexually things with toy penguins, I mean whats all that about, even my daughter who is 34 couldnt believe this film was rated a 15 as well.

I know one child of 8 who sat and watched all the alien films and terminator films his mum let him.

I think the ratings should stay definately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,872
    Forum Member
    I find it horrifying when mums just let kids watch any DVD they like regardless of the certification.

I know a few who do this and when I mentioned it I was told to mind my own business.

I watched Heartbreak Kid the other day which is rated R UK 15. My grand daughter wanted to watch it she is 15 I wouldnt let her, there were things in this film that I didnt think were very nice for a young girl to watch, especially at the end of the film, where they were showing beastiality scenes with a donkey which i thought was totally unnecessary IMHO.

We had the same in another film which was of the same genre as Heartbreak Kid, and in the credits it was showing bizarre sexually things with toy penguins, I mean whats all that about, even my daughter who is 34 couldnt believe this film was rated a 15 as well.

I know one child of 8 who sat and watched all the alien films and terminator films his mum let him.

I think the ratings should stay definately.

Im 16 and went to see the heartbeak kid when it was in the cinema, i actually thought it was a good film, very funny!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think the current BBFC system is over-the-top.

The 12(A) certificate is dispensable for a start. It's such a vague restriction that it might as well merge with PG and form "C" for Caution, or something. I'd drop the 15/18 certificates and have "16" as a comfortable intermediate. That's the school leaving age and IMO, the time when teenagers are ready to choose their own entertainment.

Keep the consumer guidance ("contains strong violence", etc) by all means, but the enforcement could do with softening.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree that some films can be shocking for a 15, 15 is not really "young". Strap a camera to a 15-year-old's head for a day, a school day perhaps, and if that film was broadcast, what rating would it have?

Most things that are in a 15, sometimes even an 18, film, 15-year-olds know about in detail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I'm thinking of it,I'm wondering,has a newsagent or shopkeeper been prosecuted yet for selling a newspaper with a free (age-restricted) dvd to an underage person?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that some films can be shocking for a 15, 15 is not really "young". Strap a camera to a 15-year-old's head for a day, a school day perhaps, and if that film was broadcast, what rating would it have?

Most things that are in a 15, sometimes even an 18, film, 15-year-olds know about in detail.

I agree that the language that would most likely be played back from the camera would be quite shocking to people LIKE me. Even though they only have that sort of language in 18 only films, I think, it's really the violence that I'm talking about. I was shocked when I saw the violence in the first part of that James Bond film with it being rated for a 12A. I can just see hardcore violent films eventually being suitable for 12 year olds in the future. It's definitely going that way. Maybe not in the next 5 years, but, the time will most likely come though........sometime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me leap into this conversation!
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Whilst I'm thinking of it,I'm wondering,has a newsagent or shopkeeper been prosecuted yet for selling a newspaper with a free (age-restricted) dvd to an underage person?
    I was actually thinking something similar this morning when I saw the free DVDs in the paper. I was thinking if they use the same restrictions on newspapers, even if you didn't want the DVD. I'm guessing so, probably.
    Jen-B wrote: »

Reminds me of the movie Thirteen (although I am addicted to it, but that's not the point), which is about what teenagers would usually get up to, but is an 18. Although I'm not that age yet, I know about everything in it, so I don't see a reason for its 18 rating. It's got some hard drugs use in it, but I was reading about another film on the BBFC website the other day with that in, but it only got a 15. That was back in 2003 though.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBFC rate films based, apparently, on overall tone. That means that sometimes their ratings are, or appear to be, a little arbitrary.

I go to the cinema a lot, and whilst the overall approach to certification is weaker than it has been historically, I don't often have issues with the distinction between 15 and 18.

The BBFC do, though, seem to be more concerned about drug-use than either sex or violence, and any injection scenes are still likely to require an 18 certificate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To above post, "Thirteen" has no injection scenes, only smoking weed/cannabis/whatever you want to call it and some other things, and they snort prescription drugs, and that's about it. But then there is a big drug dealing thing in there, but I know that kids do this stuff, and I'm...a kid...but I don't do this stuff.

Reminds me, a film has recently been rejected in the UK, I read up about it and it sounds vile. Will never watch it unless I'm tied up and held at gun point or something...

Look here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked up the film mentioned above,it's available on region 1 dvd but with 23 minutes of cuts just to get it an R rating! There is also a directors cut which still looks to have at least 15 minutes cut out. I did find a site selling the full uncut version but after reading some more reviews I have absolutely no intention of ever getting it!