MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I think we're all getting pretty antsy.

Okay, here are the exact quotes from Louisa in On the Edge:

"Dad always used to take us for ice cream on the weekend."

"I know how hard it must have been for you, bringing us up after Mum left."

I especially think the second one means there was a sibling. But things can always change in this show, so maybe the sibling idea was dropped afterward. And I'll shut up about
    Btw, I popped in the DVD thinking I would just scan through and get the quotes, but ended up unable to stop watching. It's really different than most episodes. It was fun to watch it again. I really, really like it, especially our man Action Doc on the cliff.

I couldn't help but wonder where old pal Chris Parsons was in the investigation being conducted by the unctuous, platitudinizing eunuch.

Yay Biffpup! I was eager to watch the two parter because it wasn't available to me in Panama. It was fun to recall some things I'd forgotten like the bumptious "Doctor's Friend". and Martin's interestingly phrased insult.

I think that the mayor of London takes insult example from the Doc (and John Cleese, and yukky Leonard Rossiter - the old Reggie Perrin). A couple of months ago Boris called the members of a conference "prostrate, gelatinous invertebrates"......The Doc would have to say "good one"....don't you think? It was really odd to use it in public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I wish a British person would weigh in and tell "us" if us means something different than "us". Then maybe all of us could put this discussion to rest. Maybe we will see her brother or sister in the future.

I understand that whether she has a singling or not bears discussion because it does have an impact on her as she is growing up. I don't begrudge the discussion, I am antsy for the new series.

They did last time we had this discussion. It is more particularly a Cornish use of language.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Totally agree. And when Joan scolds him for not being interested enough in his baby, he doesn't say that he's not interested or that he doesn't like children, he doubts his ability to be a father. An opinion seconded by Louisa's behavior during the season. I guess he would love to be involved, but respects Louisa's opinion that they are better off without him. Even when it breaks his heart.

Do you think LGs behaviour is saying he wouldn't be a good father or that she can do it herself since he hasn't displayed much interest in the baby from her POV since she got back except to say its too late for an abortion!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    With the whole"us" thing, yes some Brits do use it. I don't, but my husband has, "Make us a cuppa babes" when he's being playful etc,(or trying his luck :rolleyes:). But he has a different upbringing than me, and he's from a different city. Only 15 minutes away from eachother, but very different nonetheless.

I think Louisa might have siblings. To be honest it's not a big deal for me, so what if she has - they haven't turned up and she hasn't spoke about them since. I think it was just a way to maybe throw in a big brother to show why she is the way she is (far more educated and has more common sense than her parents), she must have gotten that from somewhere and an older sibling is likely that reason. However the writers might have dropped it, or over looked it. It doesn't matter until/ if they show up. So lets see what series 6 brings.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    They did last time we had this discussion. It is more particularly a Cornish use of language.

I can't quite articulate it, but I think the grammar is different between these two constructions:

"Bring us a cuppa, wouldya?"

"He always bought us icecream" or "he brought us up"

I think in the first example, "us" is used informally, when it is clear that "us" means "me" -- as when there are only two people in the conversation.

In the second case, I don't think (but certainly don't know) that "us" would be used when the reference could be either the person speaking or persons in the plural. If it is meant to be "me", I think the person would say that, where the referent is unclear.

so, I'm on the side of, yes there is a sibling, and also, unless there's a specific plotline calling his or her reappearance, we won't hear about it again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I was wondering about Louisa's arm. I mean it's not broken or it would be in a cast, I wanted to know why she would have a sling but no cast. So I googled it and someone else had a similar question "Other than a broken arm, why would you need a sling?" This was the answer ,.... "no, broken collar bones can require a sling, dislocated shoulders can require a sling, torn ligaments can require a sling, shoulder surgeries can require a sling. elbow injuries and obviously broken arms. i hope I helped"

So what do we think Louisa has?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering about Louisa's arm. I mean it's not broken or it would be in a cast, I wanted to know why she would have a sling but no cast. So I googled it and someone else had a similar question "Other than a broken arm, why would you need a sling?" This was the answer ,.... "no, broken collar bones can require a sling, dislocated shoulders can require a sling, torn ligaments can require a sling, shoulder surgeries can require a sling. elbow injuries and obviously broken arms. i hope I helped"

I would think just a garden variety shoulder sprain with pulled muscles or pulled ligaments and tendon. That sling she is wearing looks very loose and not very professional. A dislocated shoulder requires tighter splint that keeps the arm flush to the body if it is chronic or severe. Torn muscle or connective tissue would likely need surgery and post op immobilization with a cast. If it was bruised it really wouldn't need a sling unless it reduces the pain, I suppose. Plain old sprain and not too severe would be my guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Oh thanks, SusieSagitarius--I didn't think to click forward. Yes--what do you think he might be saying? They are both horse lovers; I'll bet that's it!

They ARE talking about horses. Here's a video clip of the occasion. MC appears at about 0:55 and again from 2:06, where you can hear him talking. He's bringing Her Majesty up to date on Alice the foal -- you can hear him say "She's getting bigger by the moment," and "We just bought a couple of Clydesdale foals. I like big horses."

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/2010/11/17/R17111010/

(The Queen already knew about Alice, because MC and PB had been at lunch at Windsor Castle during Ascot the previous June. Alice had just been born, and MC took a photo to show the Queen. He said in a TV interview that she was very interested.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Both HM the Queen and MC love horses...

So....soul-mates :)
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I've never seen a picture of the Queen with such a big smile. Here's what I think she's thinking, "I can't believe I'm meeting Doc Martin!" :cool::):D
    I agree about the pic and her smile--it looks like she is so genuinely happy. Maybe she even forgot she was queen for a moment! Heaven knows, I would have!!!! :D

So now that we are all in agreement on Her Majesty's obvious delight, what do you think she might have said? Some ideas:
    "We are so happy to meet you. Are you and Louisa going to be married in Series 6?"
    "We are so happy to meet you. May I call you Martin?"
    "We are so happy to meet you. Now what exactly did Louisa mean in that On the Edge episode when she said 'us'?"

Notice that she uses the royal we--but of course I am not implying that we should get into another discussion of British plural pronouns. Heaven forbid!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I can't quite articulate it, but I think the grammar is different between these two constructions:

"Bring us a cuppa, wouldya?"

"He always bought us icecream" or "he brought us up"

I think in the first example, "us" is used informally, when it is clear that "us" means "me" -- as when there are only two people in the conversation.

In the second case, I don't think (but certainly don't know) that "us" would be used when the reference could be either the person speaking or persons in the plural. If it is meant to be "me", I think the person would say that, where the referent is unclear.

so, I'm on the side of, yes there is a sibling, and also, unless there's a specific plotline calling his or her reappearance, we won't hear about it again.

I missed the discussion of plural forms on earlier threads, but as a linguist, here’s my opinion: My understanding is that the us=me reading is only used in imperative/command forms (e.g. Bring us a cuppa/Give us a kiss/Give us a smile). Which is not the same form as the two sentences uttered by Louisa in On the Edge. So her "us" is not likely to mean "me".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the discussion of plural forms on earlier threads, but as a linguist, here’s my opinion: My understanding is that the us=me reading is only used in imperative/command forms (e.g. Bring us a cuppa/Give us a kiss/Give us a smile). Which is not the same form as the two sentences uttered by Louisa in On the Edge. So her "us" is not likely to mean "me".

A linguist in our midst.....that could be very useful. Thanks Daphne!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, thank heavens! Glad to get a definitive answer.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I remember seeing a mark on her face. I would think that would be related to the injury that causes her to wear the sling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »

Happy to be able to contribute. It’s been so much fun reading this forum. And, of course, reviewing the mesmerizing DM episodes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now that we are all in agreement on Her Majesty's obvious delight, what do you think she might have said? Some ideas:
    "We are so happy to meet you. Are you and Louisa going to be married in Series 6?"
    "We are so happy to meet you. May I call you Martin?"
    "We are so happy to meet you. Now what exactly did Louisa mean in that On the Edge episode when she said 'us'?"

Notice that she uses the royal we--but of course I am not implying that we should get into another discussion of British plural pronouns. Heaven forbid!

These are fun!
    I think the Queen said, "I am so happy to meet you. Would you like to join us for a cuppa?" ;):):D
    Wouldn't that be funny if the Queen read our Doc Martin forum!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would think just a garden variety shoulder sprain with pulled muscles or pulled ligaments and tendon. That sling she is wearing looks very loose and not very professional. A dislocated shoulder requires tighter splint that keeps the arm flush to the body if it is chronic or severe. Torn muscle or connective tissue would likely need surgery and post op immobilization with a cast. If it was bruised it really wouldn't need a sling unless it reduces the pain, I suppose. Plain old sprain and not too severe would be my guess.

Do you guys ever do this? Press the spoiler button to read the spoiler, then press the button again to close the spoiler because it seems like if you leave it open, then everyone else can see it even though you know they can't? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why could Louisa not meant that her dad bought 'us' ice cream, meaning her, her mum, and Terry?

Then with Eleanor gone, 'us' meant her and Terry?

Rob
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Is there a doctor in the house? No, really. Preferably one who knows about obstetrics? I have a couple of questions. If you can help, pm me. Thank you. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion. :p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Why could Louisa not meant that her dad bought 'us' ice cream, meaning her, her mum, and Terry?

Rob

Oh please. Aargh. Rob, you crack me up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    I think it was just a way to maybe throw in a big brother to show why she is the way she is (far more educated and has more common sense than her parents), she must have gotten that from somewhere and an older sibling is likely that reason.

Or from caring for a younger sibling at an very early age.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member

Rob

But what about "bringing us up after mum left?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    These are fun!
    I think the Queen said, "I am so happy to meet you. Would you like to join us for a cuppa?" ;):):D
    Wouldn't that be funny if the Queen read our Doc Martin forum!

Perfect, ReneeBird! As for the Queen reading our forum--well, she seems to love Martin Clunes certainly as much as we do; so, why not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They ARE talking about horses. Here's a video clip of the occasion. MC appears at about 0:55 and again from 2:06, where you can hear him talking. He's bringing Her Majesty up to date on Alice the foal -- you can hear him say "She's getting bigger by the moment," and "We just bought a couple of Clydesdale foals. I like big horses."

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/2010/11/17/R17111010/

(The Queen already knew about Alice, because MC and PB had been at lunch at Windsor Castle during Ascot the previous June. Alice had just been born, and MC took a photo to show the Queen. He said in a TV interview that she was very interested.)

Excellent resource, umbrella girl! Thank you so much and sorry I missed your post before I put in my own conjecture on what might have gone on between Martin and the Queen. Too bad the noise level is so high--I uhmm thought I heard Martin say, "Maybe your Majesty could give us a tip on the horses?"
  • Options
    Forum Member

Rob
    BodminDM wrote: »
    But what about "bringing us up after mum left?"

Rob's interpretation seems quite reasonable to me. And in the line "bringing us up after mum left," Louisa may have been using the "me" meaning.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ditto from me. And welcome!
This discussion has been closed.