Options

Why a female Doctor can never work/make sense!

2»

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is quite shocking how few mainstream programmes the BBC makes with women as the focal point these days.

They used to do a lot more. But in recent years it's stuff like Robin Hood, Merlin and even the reborn Dr Who. If women feature it's in the sidelines or in "traditional roles for women" type stuff.

Is there to be a BBC version of the Three Musketeers soon as well?

The reason for this of course is the international market, which is a very good argument for the BBC not being involved in the commercial world in any way whatsoever. The commercial world does not challenge prejudice or risk alienating it's audience.

But the solution to this is not damaging male icons, it's creating female icons. And I am sure there are many authors out there with suitable material.
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what its worth, fellow Time Lord, The Corsair was also a Time Lady for some incarnations.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It is quite shocking how few mainstream programmes the BBC makes with women as the focal point these days.

They used to do a lot more. But in recent years it's stuff like Robin Hood, Merlin and even the reborn Dr Who. If women feature it's in the sidelines or in "traditional roles for women" type stuff.

Is there to be a BBC version of the Three Musketeers soon as well?

The reason for this of course is the international market, which is a very good argument for the BBC not being involved in the commercial world in any way whatsoever. The commercial world does not challenge prejudice or risk alienating it's audience.

But the solution to this is not damaging male icons, it's creating female icons. And I am sure there are many authors out there with suitable material.

I agree. Trouble is, what classic action book stories feature women? All the shows you mention, Merlin, Robin Hood etc. did have important female characters, in Merlin especially I'd say it was Morgana's character that drove the show. But surely there must be some stories that have a lead character that is female.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Can you picture this....? :-

TARDIS lands on mysterious planet.

Doctor(ess) : "hold on...before we go out there - I'll have to put my lippy on. Does my bum look big in this dress? Or should I wear the blue one??"

Seriously though - a female actress would want to look the part and be glamorous wouldn't she? Imagine the Doctor with make-up and eye-liner, and whatever other stuff on her face. I don't think any actress would want to spend years in a long-running part looking like a tom-boy! GET REAL!! :D:D
  • Options
    DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member

Doctor(ess) : "hold on...before we go out there - I'll have to put my lippy on. Does my bum look big in this dress? Or should I wear the blue one??"

Seriously though - a female actress would want to look the part and be glamorous wouldn't she? Imagine the Doctor with make-up and eye-liner, and whatever other stuff on her face. I don't think any actress would want to spend years in a long-running part looking like a tom-boy! GET REAL!! :D:D

Wow. just wow.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because all women are like that.
  • Options
    delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree less!
    Its always jarred with me that despite 51% of the population being female and over 85% people of colour, the doctor would always regenerate as a white male. Totally irrational.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they got the right actress, it could be just as good as any man.

I remember seeing Frankie in Skins for the first time and thinking if there was a female Doctor, she would look like that.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... Doctor(ess) : "hold on...before we go out there - I'll have to put my lippy on.

As long as its a sonic lippy. like Sarah Jane's :D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    If Stephen Hawking says we can have a female Doctor, I'm not going to try and argue with him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If Stephen Hawking says we can have a female Doctor, I'm not going to try and argue with him.

Exactly.

I think the best actor around should always get the role - be they male or female. As I've tried to explain before, the role of The Doctor has always been gender neutral, so there's no plot reason why The Doctor couldn't be a woman.

How they're going to get round the number of Doctors increasing after the next one or two is another matter. ;)
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Because all women are like that.

And, obviously, men in the role of the Doctor don't wear make-up while filming...
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe he's like the Dalai Lama and believes if the next regeneration needs to be a woman, then a woman the next regeneration shall be.

Sorry, the Dalai Lama is always male!
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nyder wrote: »
    Sorry, the Dalai Lama is always male!
    “if the circumstances are such that a female Dalai Lama is more useful, then automatically a female Dalai Lama will come.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-leadership/wp/2013/06/17/the-next-dalai-lama-could-be-a-woman/

Not that I believe in re-incarnation but he said this so if he's ok with the possibility that he'll be female at some point then presumably the Doctor would be too, if he knew it could potentially happen.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

What, like River Song? She didn't always wear evening gowns, but she kicked ass either way.
  • Options
    WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been shown that female Time Ladys (like Romana) can choose how they look but men like The Doctor and The Master can't.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... How they're going to get round the number of Doctors increasing after the next one or two is another matter. ;)

Most likey ... easily.
    Timelord 1: We're in the middle of a Time War. It makes no sense to limit the number of re-generations. Let's remove the limit.
    Timelord 2: Agreed.

Problem solved. :D
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.

I think the best actor around should always get the role - be they male or female. As I've tried to explain before, the role of The Doctor has always been gender neutral, so there's no plot reason why The Doctor couldn't be a woman.

How they're going to get round the number of Doctors increasing after the next one or two is another matter. ;)

You keep saying the Doctor is gender neutral. Technically he's a grandfather. Aren't grandfathers usually male? we can hark on about this until kingdom come, but the point is, that the majority of the TV audience would not accept a female doctor. Those who say they will are possibly women who just think there should be one and a few fans who would like there to be one. I honestly can't believe there were active campaigns to cast a female. I really believe that those campaigners do not love the show in the way they think they do. I suspect that Capaldi will be Moffats last Doctor. After that a brand new showrunner will take over. I honestly don't see a brand new showrunner, male or female, casting a woman to begin their tenure. It would be too risky. It's fine that there is this possibility of a female doctor, but why does it need to happen? The lady who played Ace was on Breakfast this morning. She made an excellent point. She said "Forget the Doctor. He's alien. The companion is the eyes and ears for the viewer. Without the strong female assistant, the viewer would not be able to engage in the Doctor the same way". In the same way as the Doctor is male, I totally feel the main companion should be female. There's no harm in having male companions as well as, and I would equally like to see a brilliant female timelord to rival the Doctor. The dynamics between The Doctor, the female Timelord and the female assistant would be awesome.

It seems several people just want a female Doctor for the purpose of having the first female Doctor. It is a sort of insulting scenario because it takes away the very essence, the very soul of the show. The Doctor is an asexual alien. I agree with that. But, young boys have very few solid role models these days. Boys love to go outside and play Doctor Who. They regard him as a hero. We have to remember that Doctor Who is firstly and foremost a family show, watched by kids. The kids are the fans of the future. How can squabbling adults that think it's time a female had the job, take away the sheer pleasure young boys have from playing the role of their favourite TV character. There are way too few quality family shows on TV as it is. It's time to forget these silly arguments that there needs to be a female cast. There is absolutely no reason at all why there needs to be one. Just because it's possible, doesn't make it right.