Hollyoaks General Discussion (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catching up:
    Iclabon wrote: »
    No, there's been no spoiler, but it's just been widely assumed that he'll be going soon as befits how ruthless he is and the plots he's mixed up in and how the show is expiring its villains currently. Browning, Will, Patrick, Sienna, Clare and Trevor and Fraser eventually, are all going.
    Oh, I think it would be a shame really. I quite like him, in a way. I'd rather see the back of Fraser.

Agreed - I quite like Trevor too, and not just because he's got a similar sense of humour to me :D

That being said though, I pretty much agree with Jingle's assessment
    I quite like Trevor, too. Hollyoaks needed a tough guy after Brendan left, and Trevor's filled the gap well enough until they could introduce a new Mr Big in town. They couldn't make him complex and interesting. No-one would buy it. We'd all have said they were trying to fill Brendan's shoes and were failing miserably, the actor's not as good, he's no Brendan, yada yada yada. So they did the only thing they could do and make him your standard mindless thug. And a pretty good job of it they've done too. He's a ruthless murderer, a drug dealer, a violent bully, a pimp. It doesn't get much worse.

But now the time has come to bring in the real villain of the piece - Fraser. I think Trevor's days are numbered, I don't think he'll be explored as a character because that's not what he was brought in for. And anyone who pre-meditates the murder of a copper (poor Trent :cry:) and shoots him point blank surely has a very limited shelf life.

I only hope he gets his top off before he goes. Mainly for Iclabon's sake, but I confess I wouldn't mind a peek. ;):o

This in mind it seems Trevor's not sticking around :( and that Fraser is... I do hope this means that things don't get too overwrought, with Fraser "seeing the light" or some such thing now he's with Sandy. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Fraser as things stand, but I can see a number of ways that this could all go very wrong.

BIB - hahahaha :D

Anyway... on to Will:
    I never bought him as a shy, geeky guy. He doesn't look like a geek. They put a pair of oversized glasses and dodgy cardigans on him and thought that qualified him. He then had his "hunky transformation" a few months in to his stint in Later. In my opinion it was clear to anyone with good eyesight that he had that body underneath the shoddy knitwear. I always thought he was a bit of a jealous creep and that there was something more to him.

I've said over and over again how I think they've made a mistake killing off Anna. Not sure how it's going to pan out from here.

Agreed, he's never really looked like a geek to me either - all the baggy cardigans in the world really couldn't hide that body.

There's always been something a little odd about him - remember him telling Theresa at their picnic that he wanted to zip her open and climb inside? The whole Silas obsession? :eek: Foreshadowing? Bad writing? Dodgy continuity? Who knows...?

As for Anna - poor thing, she deserved much better than to be cannon fodder for her bonkers son.
    npd6900 wrote: »
    Trust me, now that Patrick has gained suspicions of Will this is truly the beginning of the end of the story. I think the reveal will happen around Leanne and Dennis' wedding (26th October, even though that's technically a Saturday) and probably end at Halloween or so. It would make sense, seeing as the story has been going for nearly a year, which would undoubtedly involve Will trying to kill Dodger.

BIB - I'm going to believe you, because I want you to be right. I'm tired of seeing characters (Dodger, Dirk, Ash, Doug, Leanne etc) ignoring Will's erratic behaviour just to keep the plot going.
    oilcat wrote: »
    James Atherton is a very very limited "actor" (and possibly only on the show because of who he is going out with) and he CANNOT pull this off. Hes all about the staring into space and the shouting and I almost fell off the sofa laughing yesterday when he tried to squeeze a tear out.........see! he cant even use tearsticks properly!! :D

Haha I sort of agree and disagree with you here.

On the one hand; I can see what they're trying to achieve here, Will making his eyes go big, and the soft voice, whenever the madness takes charge - makes a change from shouting and screaming (and ranting when the madness takes over).

On the other hand though; character wise - Will's too young for me to buy it, and unless I've forgotten something, there's nothing that's really made him crack to behave like this (his Silas obsession has been "forgotten" I believe, which is a shame as that could explain it to some degree). As things stand though, we're essentially being led to believe that he's doing all this simply to "get back" at Dodger out of jealousy, which is all a bit much, and with the ranting comes across as... well... really immature quite frankly.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    lost boy wrote: »
    Catching up:

Agreed - I quite like Trevor too, and not just because he's got a similar sense of humour to me :D

That being said though, I pretty much agree with Jingle's assessment

This in mind it seems Trevor's not sticking around :( and that Fraser is... I do hope this means that things don't get too overwrought, with Fraser "seeing the light" or some such thing now he's with Sandy. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Fraser as things stand, but I can see a number of ways that this could all go very wrong.

BIB - hahahaha :D

Anyway... on to Will:

Agreed, he's never really looked like a geek to me either - all the baggy cardigans in the world really couldn't hide that body.

There's always been something a little odd about him - remember him telling Theresa at their picnic that he wanted to zip her open and climb inside? The whole Silas obsession? :eek: Foreshadowing? Bad writing? Dodgy continuity? Who knows...?

As for Anna - poor thing, she deserved much better than to be cannon fodder for her bonkers son.

BIB - I'm going to believe you, because I want you to be right. I'm tired of seeing characters (Dodger, Dirk, Ash, Doug, Leanne etc) ignoring Will's erratic behaviour just to keep the plot going.

On the one hand; I can see what they're trying to achieve here, Will making his eyes go big, and the soft voice, whenever the madness takes charge - makes a change from shouting and screaming (and ranting when the madness takes over).

On the other hand though; character wise - Will's too young for me to buy it, and unless I've forgotten something, there's nothing that's really made him crack to behave like this (his Silas obsession has been "forgotten" I believe, which is a shame as that could explain it to some degree). As things stand though, we're essentially being led to believe that he's doing all this simply to "get back" at Dodger out of jealousy, which is all a bit much, and with the ranting comes across as... well... really immature quite frankly.
    BIB - Yes, it's just daft. He went suddenly from a 'nice' (not that I ever liked him much), intelligent, bookish, geeky character to a totally mental weirdo and now, seemingly, a callous serial killer. He killed Texas by accident. Now we're supposed to believe that he wouldn't hesitate to murder his own mother. Will, Will, Will, not only does your mother prefer Dodger to you, but everyone does and they always will. The sooner you accept that the better.
  • Options
    lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    BIB - Yes, it's just daft. He went suddenly from a 'nice' (not that I ever liked him much), intelligent, bookish, geeky character to a totally mental weirdo and now, seemingly, a callous serial killer. He killed Texas by accident. Now we're supposed to believe that he wouldn't hesitate to murder his own mother. Will, Will, Will, not only does your mother prefer Dodger to you, but everyone does and they always will. The sooner you accept that the better.

BIB - indeed. Not only are we supposed to believe that he wouldn't hesitate to kill his own mother (who he's only recently reunited with after the best part of fifteen years or so) but that he'd do so to keep her away from Dodger?! Ugh, Dodger is harmless, so this is all a bit much.
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    There we have it, what I suspected yesterday, either Ash is completely stupid or the writers are. We all saw that Patrick standing next to Ash when Texas went through the window. So why on earth are they having Ash suspect that Patrick killed Texas? He was standing next to her. Also, can't anyone see how fake Will is when he lies? Why can't they see through that.

Ash knows that Will can stand and asks him if he can walk?! Did she think he flew from his wheelchair to the fridge? Of course he can walk! Then Will told Ash to keep it a secret, that's not suspicious at all. But then this is the same person who thinks Patrick killed Texas when he was standing next to her when Texas died :rolleyes: As a student who is studying psych, she really needs to quit.

They really shouldn't make characters this stupid, especially to drag a storyline on, if they can't right it in a smart way, then they shouldn't write it at all... or find new writers that can right good storylines without ruining characters or rewriting characters to fit storylines.

What on earth was that with the McQueens?! The 'McQueen comedy' is always so pathetic. I did like that Carmel is still blaming Mercedes and rightly so, just a shame that everyone else is telling her that it isn't Mercedes fault, when it is. All this 'poor me, it's all my fault' from Mercedes shouldn't make anyone feel sorry for her when she knew that Browning killed Lynsey and said nothing.

Why haven't they bothered to show the Ruby and Ziggy romance? Everything was offscreen and then all of a sudden Ziggy felt under the thumb, they sorted it out and then went offscreen again, only to come back and have a few scenes together before
    Ziggy then kisses Frankie.
    What was the point? From what little we saw of them together, I thought they were alright.

Frankie also needs to get over it! Is Darren's mother still alive? If so, she should watch herself because Frankie obviously has serious problems when it comes to Jack's past love life, even including people he was with before he even knew Frankie.

Does Will (the writers) really think that he can stand up to Patrick? They have had the Patrick and Will storylines running at the same time, we have all seen who is coming out on top and it isn't Will.

That was quite a negative post.. ah well.. time for GTA5. :D
  • Options
    Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reo wrote: »

Frankie also needs to get over it! Is Darren's mother still alive? If so, she should watch herself because Frankie obviously has serious problems when it comes to Jack's past love life, even including people he was with before he even knew Frankie.

This :)
    Actually, what's happened to Darren's mother? Who is she?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL
    Frankie and Ziggy sleep together next Thursday, according to WhatsOnTv.

"Feeling flustered and embarrassed, Frankie is mortified about her night with Ziggy and desperate to keep her actions a secret. But it's not that easy..."
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anna_W wrote: »

She and Jack are divorced and she went to live in the States as far as I remember. Darren lived with her for a while.
  • Options
    paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I believe she lives in America now. I'm sure that original Darren moved over there with her and came back as Ashley Taylor Dawson. Think he also returned there for a couple of years when ATD left.

EDIT: oops, Trudi Monk beat me to it.
  • Options
    Anna_WAnna_W Posts: 3,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Trudi Monk and Paton1983 :)
  • Options
    RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member

More on Darren's mother:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celia_Osborne#Celia_Osborne
  • Options
    GeorgeMarshGeorgeMarsh Posts: 1,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why haven't they bothered to show the Ruby and Ziggy romance? Everything was offscreen and then all of a sudden Ziggy felt under the thumb, they sorted it out and then went offscreen again, only to come back and have a few scenes together before
    Ziggy then kisses Frankie.
    What was the point? From what little we saw of them together, I thought they were alright.

I agree there really good together and are popular, why are they doing this ridiculous storyline? they should develop them more as a couple.

Jono and Ruby were offscreen alot too they were only on screen when they were spliting up or getting back together.

I would like to see Ruby get a big storyline, she's quite underused. I would like to see her go off the rails, have a breakdown or something.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    ash is more annoying that will. at least will has some comedy value. ash acts all high and mighty especially about saint will yet is so stupid. like others have said , Patrick was outside when Texas was pushed , she knows will can stand so why not walk and also if she knows someone else killed Texas Anna must have been covering for someone , doesn't take a genius to work out she wouldn't have covered for Patrick. who else would she cover for but her son. also can't ash see he is a bit weird , she knows he did all that stalking of Texas as well. she is so stupid and i find her really devoid of personality or likeability to be honest. if she doesn't get a light bulb moment i would love for will to kill her.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Loft fire next week looks a bit low key, and there are no spoiler pics of the actual fire. Usually Hollyoaks release photos/videos to promote their big stunts. I wonder if it might turn out to be like the college fire last year (all smoke, no fire) and the real stunt is something completely different, maybe in HO Later?
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    Come on HOs! Although I am interested in Patrick's secret, Will can't take on Patrick, Patrick is far too good, I hope this is just a slip before Patrick sorts him out. Will didn't take the box, so it would just be Will's word against Patricks, unless it is something that can be proven without the box.

Also, where is Will's wheelchair? 'I can stand but I can't walk, (even though I am here and my wheelchair is all the way over there)'. :rolleyes:

I like how Patrick wheeled Will out and then closed the door on him! lol Wouldn't Maxine wonder how Will got downstairs? Or why Will was even in the house? Why would Patrick go through the effort of getting him upstairs.. Another character not thinking about the obvious.

Suicide or accidentally death.. I think that might actually be better than a police investigation, I didn't want to see weeks of Will trying to put the blame on someone else, as long as the truth comes out in the end.

Poor Lynsey and Joe, but their scenes weren't emotional.

A random Trevor scene at the end there and where did he get that CCTV footage and why doesn't the police have it? The police are using one which showed Browning shoot Myra, but there is one showing Myra being pulled out alive. (I knew this was happening a few weeks ago) I wish they would have shown Browning the tape of him shooting Myra, it then gets paused and Browning confesses to Myra, Mercedes and Lynsey, then they press play and they show him that Myra is still alive.
  • Options
    mrchimpmrchimp Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    ash is more annoying that will. at least will has some comedy value. ash acts all high and mighty especially about saint will yet is so stupid. like others have said , Patrick was outside when Texas was pushed , she knows will can stand so why not walk and also if she knows someone else killed Texas Anna must have been covering for someone , doesn't take a genius to work out she wouldn't have covered for Patrick. who else would she cover for but her son. also can't ash see he is a bit weird , she knows he did all that stalking of Texas as well. she is so stupid and i find her really devoid of personality or likeability to be honest. if she doesn't get a light bulb moment i would love for will to kill her.
    Good point, which weakens this plot even further. Far more interesting to have her maintaining a facade as she muddled through the truth.

Maybe that's the plan, but the way it's playing out it seems the writers either don't know or don't care about what came before. Either way it's just annoying to watch.
  • Options
    mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member

I like how Patrick wheeled Will out and then closed the door on him! lol Wouldn't Maxine wonder how Will got downstairs? Or why Will was even in the house? Why would Patrick go through the effort of getting him upstairs.. Another character not thinking about the obvious.

A random Trevor scene at the end there and where did he get that CCTV footage and why doesn't the police have it? The police are using one which showed Browning shoot Myra, but there is one showing Myra being pulled out alive. (I knew this was happening a few weeks ago) I wish they would have shown Browning the tape of him shooting Myra, it then gets paused and Browning confesses to Myra, Mercedes and Lynsey, then they press play and they show him that Myra is still alive.

I thought that as well, on both counts. The Police haven't done a very thorough job have they?!

I'm dying to know Patrick's secret though, my suspicion is that the letters from years back saying he wants Sienna and not Dodger but I hope it's more juicy than that!

I felt so sad for Lynsey and Joe, I could just imagine that feeling of wanting another scan :cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on HOs! Although I am interested in Patrick's secret, Will can't take on Patrick, Patrick is far too good, I hope this is just a slip before Patrick sorts him out. Will didn't take the box, so it would just be Will's word against Patricks, unless it is something that can be proven without the box.

I agree that Will can't take on Patrick, but considering the story is essentially Will's insane jealousy of Dodger, I think Will and Patrick's secrets going against each other is very appropriate. I'm very interested to know exactly what Patrick has done, because I've always thought from the beginning, and even more so now, that Will and Patrick will both equally deserve what is coming to them (personally, I hope they both take each other down). Doubtless that Will is going to try and use the information he has to hurt Dodger though.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched in a while, is Sienna actually pregnant?
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    I thought Doctor Browning had already left - then I read all about soap.... can't he just stay away?
  • Options
    Ellie_DollieEllie_Dollie Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collybird wrote: »
    Catching up!

Has there ever been a more tragic soap character than Anna!? Her whole life has just been so sad, her death has really effected me because it just seems so unfair.

How about Brendan. His story is truly tragic... from a small child until his teens sexually, emotionally and physically abused by his father which left him unable to form proper relationships and ended up hating himself. But despite that could never bring himself to kill his dad (who he truly hated). Even when forced to choose between the two people he loves the most staying alive or his dad he still couldn't kill him.
    He eventually finds someone who accepts him for who he is and is even accepting himself only for his sister to kill his dad in order to protect him but has made things a million times worse.
    He can't let her go to prison so takes the blame for what she has done but desperate not to go himself sees the only way out as being shot dead by police marksmen. Only that didn't happen and now faces the rest of his life in prison because not only is he accused of killing the person he never could he also confessed to other deaths, two of which were done to protect the man he loves.
    The two people he loves the most in the world have deserted him and the bitter twisted vengeful ex-cop (who didn't care who got hurt in his quest for revenge) has got everything he wanted and Brendan remains the victim of his father.
    Now that is truly tragic and completely unfair.
  • Options
    SkyfallSkyfall Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched in a while, is Sienna actually pregnant?

Sienna faking being pregnant, she stolen Lynesy's baby photos from her handbag, showing them to everyone to make them think she got the baby pics from hospital. Sienna sleept with Darren and done a pregnancy test, Sienna was upset with the results. Sienna fallen to the ground outside the pub while Tom was telling her the big truth she doesn't belong in their family. Sienna gone to the hospital to have a baby scan to check if the baby was okay, she didn't want a scan told the nurse she lied about being pregnant. The nurse told Sienna best tell Darren the truth, Sienna was about to tell Darren the truth, heard Darren tell Frankie said the reason why he is with Sienna is because of the baby and nothing more, upset with Darren Sienna keeping the lies up and is doing everything she can so Sienna's lies are belived by everyone.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lost boy wrote: »

Anyway... on to Will:

I know that Will is a complete noddy, and he may not be as striking as Dodger but he has got a pretty face. I've seen pics of him in real life.

No I don't remember that about Theresa. This maybe a little early hint about his character. Interesting

Poor Anna :(. If it wasn't for Patrick sectioning her then this wouldn't have happened. How dare he pretend to be all sad now after he ruined her life :mad:

Is Mark Atherton still going out with Jorgie Porter? Well she's no better actress herself.

No, I thought that maybe it was Silas getting inside his head that maybe responsible. 'Getting back at Dodger' is just plain ridiculous imho :rolleyes:. The guy has turned into a psycho!

Also, I just wanted to ask about Sienna's childhood. No doubt she's probably has been mistreated by Patrick, but I don't see why this is any excuse. In real life plenty of people have had an abusive childhood without turning bad themselves. Look at the children of Fred and Rose West. There are occasions where there is no history of abuse and yet someone does terrible things as an adult.

Oh and another thing. I like how Hollyoaks introduces all the characters before the show starts. Myra's intro never lasted long but Nan has now replaced her. Darren's intro has changed which is fitting after his personality transplant.
  • Options
    nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Brendan. His story is truly tragic... from a small child until his teens sexually, emotionally and physically abused by his father which left him unable to form proper relationships and ended up hating himself. But despite that could never bring himself to kill his dad (who he truly hated). Even when forced to choose between the two people he loves the most staying alive or his dad he still couldn't kill him.
    He eventually finds someone who accepts him for who he is and is even accepting himself only for his sister to kill his dad in order to protect him but has made things a million times worse.
    He can't let her go to prison so takes the blame for what she has done but desperate not to go himself sees the only way out as being shot dead by police marksmen. Only that didn't happen and now faces the rest of his life in prison because not only is he accused of killing the person he never could he also confessed to other deaths, two of which were done to protect the man he loves.
    The two people he loves the most in the world have deserted him and the bitter twisted vengeful ex-cop (who didn't care who got hurt in his quest for revenge) has got everything he wanted and Brendan remains the victim of his father.
    Now that is truly tragic and completely unfair.

Brendan deserved to go to jail though. A lot of criminals have sad childhood and he did kill and abuse a number of people. Thus his sentence in jail does serve for him to do the time for his crimes. Just because of his relationship and past, doesn't excuse everything he did prior to ste.
  • Options
    oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash is possibly the most stupid person ever to live in Hollyoaks Village........and thats saying something

She knows Will isnt confined to his wheelchair, she knows that the text from Anna didnt mean Patrick (or at least she should as she was standing right next to him) and she knows (or again she should know) that Will is a total control freak (what was the banging of the glass on the table all about?) ...........yet she still cant piece it together
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why oh why did Patrick not whip out his phone and take a photo......